Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whooshes and Stalls - Why weight loss isn't linear

In the Keto world where I come from, just like here, folks are plagued with the dreaded "stalls" then like magic, the scales begin to move again in the desired direction. I'm surprised I've never heard the topic of the "whoosh effect" discussed in here. For the sake of not writing a novel, I'll provide infographics and some helpful links to read for those interested. I'm not here to argue about the validity of this concept so please, if you don't agree, feel free to leave adult-worthy, constructive feedback or just scroll on by. I personally have experienced several "whooshes" over the course of the past year and half, so if anything, this stuff makes sense.

What's a Whoosh?

Have you stalled for 2-3 weeks or even gained a few extra pounds, then wake up the next morning to see the number on the scale drop considerably? The "whoosh effect" is essentially the period of time during a "diet" when fat loss becomes noticeable and the graphic below shows why.

Google has a ton of references on this. This link explains things on an easy to understand, high level https://mysugarfreejourney.com/keto-questions-what-is-the-whoosh-effect/

Also, this lovely lady does an excellent job at explaining the "whoosh effect" in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3rmi4DJAw

P.S. Just ignore the keto aspect of things. Fat loss happens the same way for everyone no matter how you're losing it...unless you get Lipo and that's a whole 'nother thing LOL

image.png.a93e07485691da327824ef8236822011.png

I like this and it's so true, it happens to me. I call it my norm but I think I like Whoosh better LOL.

Thanks for sharing

THanks for sharing

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches