Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I am new here and schedule for sleeve surgery on 11/26 (next Monday) in in the US. I have to admit, I am getting a bit scared, nervous and doing some back peddling. I haven't been big on drinking Water and to be honest I have always had dry skin even when I do drink 64+ ounces a day. I am really worried about being able to drink those 64+ after surgery and becoming severely dehydrated. How do you vets do it? Also, how bad is the skin after... really? I have seen some pretty scary photos online and I think it is freaking me out a bit. Like, what is worse depression from having really bad hanging skin, or being overweight. I know I am probably just freaking out for no reason, but with only a few days left my brain keeps going, "Hey... you haven't tried the Ketogenic diet yet. Maybe you should try THAT before removing your stomach... that's how you will be eating after anyway.. "

I don't want to regret doing the surgery, but I don't want to be in the same place in a year saying I should have done it.

Has anyone else had last minute fears? Need a little real-life experience guidance here.

Thanks in advance.

First of good luck!! (; secondly being overweight to me is worse the sagging skin because at least you can hide the sag. Being fat you can’t conceal it. As far as being scared last minute off course! But just think positive thoughts and truthfully after you drop 20 the first week you will be so grateful! I’m 7 days post op now and feeling so pleased I went thru with it. I had canceled my first surgery date the week before. I’m like I can do this on my own. Then I ordered Chinese delivery and opened the food etc and there was silverware for 4. I’m like omg. I called the next day and booked surgery again fir nov 14 and I’m so pleased I did. Good luck

21 minutes ago, Happy Sleever said:

First of good luck!! (; secondly being overweight to me is worse the sagging skin because at least you can hide the sag. Being fat you can’t conceal it. As far as being scared last minute off course! But just think positive thoughts and truthfully after you drop 20 the first week you will be so grateful! I’m 7 days post op now and feeling so pleased I went thru with it. I had canceled my first surgery date the week before. I’m like I can do this on my own. Then I ordered Chinese delivery and opened the food etc and there was silverware for 4. I’m like omg. I called the next day and booked surgery again fir nov 14 and I’m so pleased I did. Good luck

Congratulations on days 7! Has it been hard?

I feel you and that is where I am. My husband is like, "We Can Do This Together!", and I'm like "Yeah, like the last 3 diets we tried together went so well!" He and I co-depend on each other with food and I need to break the cycle. I am a stay-at-home mom who homeschools. I think I am more afraid of canceling the surgery and "trying again" only to fail and then hate myself for not doing it. Problem is, I am a success DIY in nearly everything, BUT this. I keep failing at losing weight.

15 minutes ago, Mrs.Cartwill said:

Hi All,

I am new here and schedule for sleeve surgery on 11/26 (next Monday) in in the US. I have to admit, I am getting a bit scared, nervous and doing some back peddling. I haven't been big on drinking Water and to be honest I have always had dry skin even when I do drink 64+ ounces a day. I am really worried about being able to drink those 64+ after surgery and becoming severely dehydrated. How do you vets do it? Also, how bad is the skin after... really? I have seen some pretty scary photos online and I think it is freaking me out a bit. Like, what is worse depression from having really bad hanging skin, or being overweight. I know I am probably just freaking out for no reason, but with only a few days left my brain keeps going, "Hey... you haven't tried the Ketogenic diet yet. Maybe you should try THAT before removing your stomach... that's how you will be eating after anyway.. "

I don't want to regret doing the surgery, but I don't want to be in the same place in a year saying I should have done it.

Has anyone else had last minute fears? Need a little real-life experience guidance here.

Thanks in advance.

I've tried every diet. Surgery has given me a long term solution. I'm four years out.

Second guessing yourself as you get closer to a surgery date is normal. Dry loose skin or stay obese and have continued weight related health issues?........That decision is yours.

How do you vets do it?

Fear of dehydration - Many of us here can get our Water in by keeping a water bottle on had and siping throughout the day. It gets easier and normal with time.

Also, how bad is the skin after... really?

You and I started with roughly the same BMI. I'm sharing my before and afters.

• In your opinion, Do I look healthy at a high weight or at my lower weight with loose skin?
  • I can't afford plastics. Do I look depressed about my loose skin or overjoyed with my results?
  • Physical appearance. Which picture do you prefer?

collaga.jpg

b83bc0edeacf7700f9d13cd41a945678cdad.jpg

unnamed.jpg

The 135 one, there's hope for a shining bright future showing. Does anyone else feel like their skin is dry, leathery and never to feel smooth and supple again? Losing weight, fat and natural moistures, is THIS the price we all pay? I would dump Avon Skin So Soft on ME but then I would hollering for help out of the bathtub so I don't fall with the slippery-ness.

12 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

The 135 one, there's hope for a shining bright future showing. Does anyone else feel like their skin is dry, leathery and never to feel smooth and supple again? Losing weight, fat and natural moistures, is THIS the price we all pay? I would dump Avon Skin So Soft on ME but then I would hollering for help out of the bathtub so I don't fall with the slippery-ness.

my skin get dry pre and post surgery in the winter. for me its age not surgery.

You look amazing. I know the right and best answer for me is to just do it, I guess fear just sets in. It is a drastic change. I was totally excited and ready until I saw the death rate at 2/1000 and my mom decided to put her two cents in that if I was just eating better, walking and counting calories I could lose it all in 2-3 years. I don't have a lot of support going in, everything thinks I am taking the easy way out except my sister and people I have met that are doing it too. Thanks for the inspiration. I know that ALM is a better me, skin or not. :)

look up the thread for " Surgery- it's the Easy way out" people have been saying it for eons, wasn't True then, not True now! Baby it is HARD. See most people's bodies are perfectly happy you're FAT/OBESE. They are bebopping along, plenty of high-calorie tasty foods coming in, one burp of appetite and you are eating once again. Things, Body Says, are just fine and Dandy. And then you go , rocking and shocking it to the foundations, and your body tries to fight back. Say it isn't so, Joe, you're not going to STARVE ME, are you? Well in a stucturalized way, YOU ARE, and it is like riding an untamed bronco at times. Oh you may despair of having ever a smooth gaited Tennessee Walking 🐎, shoot I do myself still. Been through numerous fad diets, a presurgery liver-shrinking diet and a bumpy after-surgery trek that hasn't concluded yet. My personal diet 🐎 horse, people think I have it tamed already, well it still harbors a latent desire to "buck" me off and leave me still sitting in the middle of the corral on my rump in the dust!
One of our service groups motto is Eternal Vigilance, and that holds true for Weight Loss in its various forms. Never get complacent, it's a long drawn out process. Someday YOU TOO will reach your weight loss goal and go into " maintance", just saw a posting from a veteran, pounds were trying to return and she stated what she is doing to keep 5-10 pounds from sneaking back. Oh I would 💓to be her size and weight but I now see it still won't be EASY! But keep your face toward the🌞 Sunshine it's there for us all!🌈

1 minute ago, Mrs.Cartwill said:

You look amazing. I know the right and best answer for me is to just do it, I guess fear just sets in. It is a drastic change. I was totally excited and ready until I saw the death rate at 2/1000 and my mom decided to put her two cents in that if I was just eating better, walking and counting calories I could lose it all in 2-3 years. I don't have a lot of support going in, everything thinks I am taking the easy way out except my sister and people I have met that are doing it too. Thanks for the inspiration. I know that ALM is a better me, skin or not. :)

Fear, nervous, anxious and excited....Right? Many of us second guessed and had a freak out moment pre surgery. We understand. Just know that your surgeons team is going to take good care of you.

I hope as your family sees your success and hard work , they will become more supportive. If they are saying these things out of fear give them time.

Ugh...judgmental people. If they judge you on surgery they will judge you on other things. No need to invest your time trying to explain your decision/surgery to negative people. You don't need their approval.

Wishing you the best,

Jenn

Thank you Jenn. Yes, my mother's comments are out of fear. But you are right and my decision to have the surgery is out of fear too. Fear that I wont live to see my youngest child grow up.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Congratulations and good Luck! I was lucky and had no issues immediately following surgery. Today I am 13 days post op and down 11.3 since surgery and 30.6 since i started my pre op diet. This is the best decision i have ever made. Today i transition to Puree. and i had a little bit of chili ( only because i couldnt blend it at work, i was unprepared). I will blend it later and attempt to finish it for dinner along with a Protein Shake. Heres to a speedy recovery!