Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved - Surgery Day Scheduled

Hi everyone.

My name is Stacy, I am 34 years old and I was just approved for surgery on November 5th. My date is January 2, 2019.

This was my third time trying for surgery. The first time I weighed 427 lbs. I barely lost any weight during my 6 months doctor supervised visits so I was denied.

Discouraged but determined to show them I could do it, I counted calories and excised and went from 427 down to 202 lbs. The irony was the "healthier" i became, the sicker I got. I dealt with continual heart issues giving me symptoms of heart attacks without the blockages... one attack happened while on the treadmill and landed me in the hospital for 2 weeks. I continued my diet and exercise until the final episode landed me in the hospital yet again and they finally found out/assumed my arteries were constricting from stress...which was probably from all the missed work... and they put me on medicine. My gallbladder decided to check out at this point... but not before going out with a bang--I was in the hospital another 2 weeks because my pancreas and liver were inflamed... after the gallbladder removal the weight loss got harder and the pounds started packing on. I was afraid to exercise and miss more work--so I started walking. Because I wasn't getting the rush I normally did from exercise my depression came back full force. I slept the day away any chance I got... I'd eat my calories one day, the next hardly touch food, and the following day, I'd eat garbage. My choices were terrible. Terrified that I would go back to my old weight I tried a second time for surgery--the entire process I battled depression and diets--trying to find what would work and give me the success calorie counting did. Instead I gained--at this point I was denied a 2nd time. My weight, 350 lbs. Something happened where I made the decision to buckle down... and from October of last year (when I was denied) until March of this year, I lost 15 lbs. I worked hard to see the scale move. It wasn't until April that I read about low carb--most of the foods I couldn't eat anyways because they made me sick--like bread and sugars--so I went for it. When my doctor saw my progress she said--whatever you're doing is working! Try one more time--I think you'd get it! I had no faith in being approved and I said if I was denied again, I'd stop...and take it as a sign.

Since starting low carb I've lost an additional 58 lbs for a total of 73.

I have my appointment with my dietitian on December 5th, pre-op appointment is December 12th and Upper GI is December 19th. This is also the same day I start my 2 week pre-op liver shrink diet.

I do have some before and current pictures in my gallery and what I look like currently...

I am having anxiety about it all... and a lot of people are saying I don't need it done... I look fine... I kinda wish I would have taken the route where I didn't say anything to anyone.

Thanks for reading ❤️

Well i for one enjoyed reading your story, I will be a happy follower of your story as it takes place. Stacy I have broad shoulders to cry on if it becomes necessary, at 72 I have. survived a lot of things, if I didn't participate in everything I sure watched them. I'm a good friend when you need one. And welcome again, we have a nice group of people here, we love to help.

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you...you didn't give up and that shows determination.

People will always have some kind of opinion as to what you should and should not do, it's human nature. But ONLY YOU know the struggles that you have been through with the up and down weight loss...You want it to stay off, so go for it girl and don't let no one rob you of your joy ✌️

I love your determination!