Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get bypass surgery for gerd?

Hello,

I had the VSG about 9 years ago. Bad reflux for the last 2 years. Doctors recommend to go full bypass surgery to stop reflux. Anyone heard or know of anyone who experienced this? thank you.

Hello,
I had the VSG about 9 years ago. Bad reflux for the last 2 years. Doctors recommend to go full bypass surgery to stop reflux. Anyone heard or know of anyone who experienced this? thank you.
I had GERD really bad after vsg. I was sleeved only 18 months before I had to revise. I had revision surgery on Monday November 5th, a week ago; Sleeve to bypass.

ScorpioC_RnY

Hello,
I haven't had my surgery yet but my doctor recommended the bypass because of my acid reflux. My surgery date is 12/3..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi everyone! I had VSG 5 years ago and now have terrible GERD. For those who’ve converted to the bypass from sleeve for the same, can you answer a few questions? 1. Did insurance cover it? I have BCBS. 2. What preop tests were needed before your surgeon determined the conversion was possible? Thanks in advance to all!

I had terrible Gerd, then I got the lap band. All of the gerd went away (Or so I thought). I woke up in the morning spending the first couple hours clearing my throat. The surgeon told me it was probably "silent GERD". Right after my revision surgery from the band to the RNY, the throat clearing was fixed.

I have a family member who was thinking about having bariatric surgery. They have GERD really bad, and the surgeon also recommended the RNY. He said that the sleeve is a high pressure setup which has a tendency to push up stomach acid. This is coming from a surgeon who does mostly sleeves, so I wouldn't say he was biased against sleeves in general.

Hi everyone! I had VSG 5 years ago and now have terrible GERD. For those who’ve converted to the bypass from sleeve for the same, can you answer a few questions? 1. Did insurance cover it? I have BCBS. 2. What preop tests were needed before your surgeon determined the conversion was possible? Thanks in advance to all!
I did the BRAVO testing. My doctor just wanted to do it for solid evidence just in case my insurance required it. My insurance didn't require any testing or anything like that. Once my doctor office submitted their recommendations they sent an approval back within 5 days saying " approved because it is medically necessary. I have CIGNA

ScorpioC_RnY

Thank you all for your response. I see that going to full bypass is popular for GERD. I was surprised at first when the Doctor recommenced the bypass since Im at my goal weight. My only concern now is what symptoms will I need to face when i have the bypass. Is getting the proper nutrition in your body that hard? And what other things might come up? I could eat anything I wanted with the sleeve, well at least for 5 years. Now I read no sugar or fat. Can anyone advise me of their experience of symptoms converting to full bypass. Thank you so much..

I'm getting my bypass from sleeve mainly because of the GERD. It has caused Barrett's esophagus which means the acid is causing pre-cancerous cells to form.

18 hours ago, NIKKIBEVERLY said:

I haven't had my surgery yet but my doctor recommended the bypass because of my acid reflux. My surgery date is 12/3..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Same for me

23 hours ago, atomicbeing said:

Hello,

I had VSG in July of last year....revised to bypass due to excessive GERD September 26th this year. Best decision ever!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the insight, it is very helpful. My concern is getting the proper nutrition, and Hair loss.

Also does anyone take betaine HCL to get more acid in so we can properly digest food and kill off bacteria? thanks

yes. experiencing this now

band in 2011

sleeved in 2015

and now bypass most likely next month

scared to death

So @Ashley_beckerr, did you get your surgery? Last I knew you had your endoscopy and were waiting for a date.