Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you deal with those around you eating all the things you can't?

This all starting to confuse me now, can't sleevers have anything they want but just in moderation? What is the worst thing that can happen if you had just one tiny slice of pizza and a coke 30 minutes later? Wouldn't that be possible? I didn't have surgery, still in the research phase, so please explain anyone!
A lot of this will be explained when you see a nutritionist for the first time if you decide to start your WLS journey :) First, WLS is a tool, not magic. It's a way to get your weight off quickly and a way to learn better habits, i.e. moderation. (I think most of us wouldn't be here If we had a handle on that, including yours truly). Right after surgery your body isn't able to process food the same way. Eating comes in stages. liquids, pureed foods, soft foods and finally solids. When your body is resetting and you try to put in junk like pizza for example, your new tummy can't handle it and you may wind up having dumping syndrome (worth a Google). Eventually, sure you can eat that stuff again in moderation if you choose. Hoping in my case I just won't crave it eventually. This is such an investment of your time, energy and money...in the end it's hard but not worth it. Even though I whine about pizza, the thought eventually fades. Or i come on here and whine. Lol BTW...Carbonation, however is not our friend after surgery Gas HURTS. It also stretches out your stomach...no bueno! Hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

11 hours ago, AchieveGoals said:

This all starting to confuse me now, can't sleevers have anything they want but just in moderation? What is the worst thing that can happen if you had just one tiny slice of pizza and a coke 30 minutes later? Wouldn't that be possible? I didn't have surgery, still in the research phase, so please explain anyone!

The thing that is hard to understand before surgery is how easy it is to "eat around your surgery." Kind of like putting a lock on the kitchen door but then you figure out how to climb in through the window. The sleeve (or any other WLS) only works as well as you do. Once you're all healed up, you are perfectly capable of pounding down thousands of calories a day if you so choose.

One good method of avoiding regain is moderation. Some people can do that, but honestly, most of us can't. If we could, we wouldn't be here. I know from past experience, for example, that once I hit maintenance, I'll do better with 6 days on/1 day off. That will keep me pretty well in line. There's a thread on here about intermittent fasting. That's a great solution for some. The point is, the surgery isn't a one-and-done for most people. It is something we will have to work at forever. I hope this helps.

When things that other people eat bother me, I say so. Especially if it’s my family. I’m entitled to have an enjoyable dinner experience, just as much as they are. If watching them eat pizza is going to upset me, I speak up.

Very few people know about my WLS and perhaps it because of the nature of my procedure but I am not too bothered by food smells or those who are eating things that I can't. Obviously I can't expect people to change their eating behaviour but if they did know about my procedure I wouldn't expect them to change what and how they eat. I had the procedure not them.

My friend who kept me company for two days after my procedure kept apologising every time she cooked or ate. I asked her not to apologise as it wasn't bothering me, and that was the truth.

At work this week we had an afternoon tea for the Melbourne Cup (the horse race that stops a nation lol) on Tuesday, Wednesday was a morning tea for customer service awards, Thursday was pizza lunch to Celebrate a milestone in our office renovations. Met with friends for drinks Thursday evening ( Water for me) and met a friend for dinner (again I drank water and had nothing to eat).

I was in the free liquid stage in the week just gone (today I start pureed foods yeah) and while I didn't partake in any of the foods or alcohol, I was able to celebrate the intentions behind the events. I can only hope my mindset stays the same while I work on changing my attitudes, behaviours and habits that contributed to me being obese.

Doesnt bother me to be honest, my wife cant cook, so if i dont for her.... so i end up cooking stuff i used to eat before surgery, but doesnt seem to cause any issues for me.

I'm only four days out. First three days it didn't bother me. Today it did so I had my pitiful chicken broth in another room as my husband ate his burger and fries. I could barely manage a few ounces of broth, so it's not like I could cheat even if I wanted to, but I just couldn't really handle seeing that food (this afternoon was the first time I felt hungry). I would have been ok eating a healthy salad or some plain grilled chicken as he chowed down but with liquids it's just sort of depressing. It's going to be a long couple of months until I can eat solid and satisfying food but you gotta do what you gotta do. My husband was supportive of me getting the surgery and didn't judge me for needing the surgery to lose the weight, so I feel lucky.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:53 PM, AchieveGoals said:

Nah.

Some people *may* have divine results no matter what, some will not.

It's like flipping a coin. Do you really want to leave it to chance?