Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!
Introducing the newest flavors of BariatricPal's Protein One! Read more... ×

How much Protein were you hitting right after post-op?



Recommended Posts

HI! I am 3wks post op and having the same issues! Thank you for starting this topic because I have heard some great ideas. I assumed I was stuck having strictly Protein Shakes so I do appreciate hearing the other combos I can try. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I was kind of a freak of nature. I was hitting 60g as of I think day 4 or 5. I definitely second the other comments about grabbing the Protein Water. I personally prefer the Protein20 but that's just me. It has 15g vs PremierProtein 20 but I don't get that weird filmy residue. also I am sure a million other places on this website will say this but 1/2 a Premier Protein (Caramel or chocolate) plus coffee is DELICIOUS. I still drink this everyday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mary0403 said:

HI! I am 3wks post op and having the same issues! Thank you for starting this topic because I have heard some great ideas. I assumed I was stuck having strictly Protein Shakes so I do appreciate hearing the other combos I can try. Thank you!

Not a problem and glad this has helped you too. Hopefully we can start hitting our Protein goals soon! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kay07 said:

I guess I was kind of a freak of nature. I was hitting 60g as of I think day 4 or 5. I definitely second the other comments about grabbing the Protein Water. I personally prefer the Protein20 but that's just me. It has 15g vs PremierProtein 20 but I don't get that weird filmy residue. also I am sure a million other places on this website will say this but 1/2 a Premier Protein (Caramel or chocolate) plus coffee is DELICIOUS. I still drink this everyday.

I wish I could hit 60g- hopefully the Protein Water will help. I'll try out the coffee combo too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello!
I just wanted to ask as I'm just 12 days post-op but I am struggling with getting my Protein in. I would hit just about 15-20 grams and my doctor wanted me to hit 50 a day.
How many grams of Protein did you hit when you were at this stage?
I'm still at the full liquids stage and I'm having a hard time with my Protein Shakes and protein Water as I just can't get them down.
Am I doomed? [emoji20]
I have been getting 80g a day or so. We have to drink so much anyways...I'm adding benefiber, half a stick of crystal lite (or similar flavor), and 1/2 scoop of unflavored Unjury Protein Powder to 16oz of Water in a Blender Bottle. Voila. Also...my fave is 8oz skim milk (Fairlife, lactose free) with one scoop of chocolate Splendor flavored Unjury protein powder. Right there in that 8oz is 34g of protein, and it almost tastes like chocolate Ovaltine! [emoji6] I don't think I could ever get enough protein just from what we are able to eat. Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hrsnjs said:

I have been getting 80g a day or so. We have to drink so much anyways...I'm adding benefiber, half a stick of crystal lite (or similar flavor), and 1/2 scoop of unflavored Unjury Protein Powder to 16oz of Water in a Blender Bottle. Voila. Also...my fave is 8oz skim milk (Fairlife, lactose free) with one scoop of chocolate Splendor flavored Unjury Protein powder. Right there in that 8oz is 34g of protein, and it almost tastes like chocolate Ovaltine! I don't think I could ever get enough protein just from what we are able to eat. Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

80g is pretty awesome. I wish I could get that much! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys heat up your Protein powders?

I was thinking of making a protein hot cocoa but wasn't sure if the heat will ruin the protein powders? I know you have to mix them with cold milk/water first and then heat them up but does heating them change any of the protein/ nutritional value?

:)

Edited by vsgnewbie77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never able to reach any of my Protein or fluid goals post-op. I was lucky to get 250 calories per day. I fretted about it briefly, then decided to concentrate on healing. You can make yourself crazy with all those grams and Fluid ounces. Some days you'll do fairly well meeting a recommended requirement, other days you'll feel like a complete failure.

My three-month labs turned out fine. I've lost almost 80lbs since June. The way I see it, I could have beaten up on myself daily for not meeting my protein/fluid goals or I could just relax (which is what I decided to do) and let each day unfold without stressing out. I'm glad I chose the latter. I feel lucky to be one of those who didn't face feeling hungry or starved post-operatively. I only rarely feel hungry now.

Some else I learned, don't compare. A fellow forum member and I had pretty much the same surgery date. She was losing like crazy... about 30lbs more than I was during the same time frame. I let it get to me. Once I got over that feeling (with the wise advice of friends here), I've been losing as well. Only a couple of brief stalls, too.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11/08/2018 09:57 AM, vsgnewbie77 said:



Do you guys heat up your Protein powders?




I was thinking of making a Protein hot cocoa but wasn't sure if the heat will ruin the Protein powders? I know you have to mix them with cold milk/water first and then heat them up but does heating them change any of the protein/ nutritional value?




:)


You have to do it carefully since hot liquid curdles Protein Powder but no it doesn’t affect nutritional value.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Very little. The Protein Water was disgusting and the shakes gave me diarrhea. All I focused on was water and drinkable yogurts like the Dannon ones. They were so good and sweet. Don’t worry too much about protein now. Just make sure you are hydrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

I was never able to reach any of my Protein or fluid goals post-op. I was lucky to get 250 calories per day. I fretted about it briefly, then decided to concentrate on healing. You can make yourself crazy with all those grams and Fluid ounces. Some days you'll do fairly well meeting a recommended requirement, other days you'll feel like a complete failure.

My three-month labs turned out fine. I've lost almost 80lbs since June. The way I see it, I could have beaten up on myself daily for not meeting my protein/fluid goals or I could just relax (which is what I decided to do) and let each day unfold without stressing out. I'm glad I chose the latter. I feel lucky to be one of those who didn't face feeling hungry or starved post-operatively. I only rarely feel hungry now.

Some else I learned, don't compare. A fellow forum member and I had pretty much the same surgery date. She was losing like crazy... about 30lbs more than I was during the same time frame. I let it get to me. Once I got over that feeling (with the wise advice of friends here), I've been losing as well. Only a couple of brief stalls, too.

You're right- I should focus on healing and getting in as much as I possibly can. I'll definitely try to relax and not fret about it too much, I feel like it's doing me more harm than good haha. I don't feel hungry either or not yet anyway which I am thankful for.

Thank you for this, I feel much better about not really hitting my goals everyday but I do try my best. I think just need to take it day by day.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jultrim18 said:

Hi! Very little. The Protein Water was disgusting and the shakes gave me diarrhea. All I focused on was Water and drinkable yogurts like the Dannon ones. They were so good and sweet. Don’t worry too much about Protein now. Just make sure you are hydrated.

Same! I tried and got a couple of protein waters in and I really can't get them down. Protein Shakes are also a struggle for me. Water and iced tea (decaf) seem to be working the best for me and I have been trying to get in some very soft tofu (blended) so at least there's some protein there.

I'm hitting my water goals so I'm happy to get that at least. I'm okay with regular yogurts but it does take me a while to finish the whole thing. The drinkable ones might be easier, I'll try those.


Thank you!

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brissie said:

I was glad to find bodiez Protein Water which is 30g per 450ml bottle. I would drink one bottle a day plus other liquids with Protein.

30 grams per bottle sounds great. I only see 15g bottles here but I do struggle with the Protein20 brand. I just might try other brands to see if they're any better.

Thanks! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • danieocean

      Going through a lot of personal issues...came to visit my mom to try and figure out what I need to do. I'm really experiencing that head hunger I keep hearing about. In my lowest moments I feel most hungry. My stomach hurts like I'm starving. Trying to get in and see a therapist ASAP. Just really struggling to keep it all together. It's really weird to feel like this and not have food...I feel lost. SOunds so ridiculous. Sorry to be a downer, just been a hell of a day. 😕
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

      Today I decided  along with grilled salmon I would eat yogurt. Not mixed together but bite for bite. Things are getting weird at Chateau GreenTealael
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • CrankyMagpie

      Had my one month (really, a day short of 6 weeks) post-op appointment today. Everybody seemed pretty happy with how things are going, and I'm now officially in Phase III (long-term bariatric eating phase), with the caveat that rice and pasta are still not allowed, and no alcohol until at least the three month mark. (Not a problem.) But I'm cleared to have fruits and veggies! 🥦🍎🥗🍊🍇🍓 So exciting! I want an apple so badly. (OK, like, a third of an apple, with peanut butter, because I'm not sure a full apple will fit in my stomach, and eating something without any protein feels wrong.)

      I'm also cleared to exercise, though I've been advised to start slow with weights and to stop if I feel any "tearing" (😨) in my abdomen. Back to the pool with me! (I hurt my foot, so walking is out right now. I hate it. Swimming and starting with weight lifting should do a lot for my mood, though.)
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • covarrubia911

      Scheduled 11/05/2018 for the second time to get a gastric sleeve. woke up from surgery with the nurses telling me. They were unable to do surgery .unable to introduce Laparoscopy when it needed to be. had to abort it. Too dangerous for me. I was so Very Depressed. I'm doing better with the depression. I must believe My Doctor Aborted surgery to Protect me .But I wanted this surgery so bad. Well I'm suppose to see him on 11/16/18 to discuss alternative methods. Hopefully I can Reschedule it for the third time

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jazzy1125

      5 days Post op Update:
      Well today is 5 days. I feel great! I still have some gas i am dealing with but with each sip comes a burp. Hopefully this part will be done with soon. I started my blood thinners shots this morning as they stopped them day after surgery due to too much drainage. I went back to work yesterday, didnt do much! My boss made me sit in her office all day lol.. but i am back and i am feeling good. I was able to get my liquids in yesterday and had my first BM yesterday, with another following this morning! I think i am doing pretty well for just having surgery. My weight is still up. I had gained almost 14 pounds during surgery due to gas and liquids, and lost 10 of it to date. Have 4 pounds to go before back to surgery date weight! 
      · 1 reply
      1. FluffyChix

        Congrats!! We love BMs! :D

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×