Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol Is The Enemy-HELP!

Friends,

I am a little over two months post-op. Overall, I have done extremely well, down 60lbs, feeling great and looking forward to achieving my goals. Unfortunately, I have been occasionally having a cocktail while watching football which disinhibits my appetite control and I wind up eating more than I should or can. Anyone have any suggestions to address this problem?

Thanks very much.

Alcohol at only two month post op?!?
Alcohol isn't the enemy, you're being your own worst enemy. You know what you need to do to fix the problem. Stop drinking alcohol. Alcohol should not be consumed for at least 6 months post op. You're putting yourself at risk for a whole bunch of problems drinking so early on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

For the time being do not have the ingredients for the cocktails in your home, assuming that is where you are drinking them. If out and about, have some low calorie non alcohol alternatives instead.

I was sleeved four years ago. Lost 108 pounds, regained 40. Why? The primary reason was I started drinking again. I'm one of those people you read about. I couldn't stop at one glass of wine. I had to finish the bottle. Then another. Every night.

I quit drinking one year & 90 days ago. I never did anything bad. Never drove drunk, never missed work, never physically hurt anyone. But I felt rotten. So I quit. It was hard but ever day gets a little easier.

What I'm really trying to say is: Know yourself. If you can control yourself, well, enjoy. But I know I'm not one of those people. I'm like the hokey-pokey: I'm either all in or all out.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you. You are not alone.

Alcohol is the enemy and you are putting yourself in this position by consuming so early on, That was one thing the Dr. stressed during the preop meeting and that it should be minimal to avoided completely. Try as shea2 suggested and drink an alternative. I know it may be harder especially if it is one thing you don't want to give up, but think about all you have put into this surgery already and what you want the end result to be before deciding to wiggle your way around it. You know the effects it has on you so you really need to try and avoid it.

I like a good beer from time to time but I think for me Im gong to get down to the weight i need to be at.Then if I am eating good and working out everyday then a beer or small glass of wine before bed would be ok.Just need to keep in check as not to get out of hand and start regaining.I know someone who did good for 4.5 years after vsg then the last year has been drinking a case of beer and a bottle of wisky a week and has put 70 lbs back on and he knows thats the problem .

Been falling back into old habits myself these last few weeks. Started off with a pint. Only drank half and felt "great". Finished the other half the next day and same. Repeated again a few days later. Then moved onto a 1.75ml bottle thinking it'll last me waaaay longer and wind up cheaper. Well it lasted longer but my intake increased quite a bit. and started feeling like **** the next morning. Of course I had to finish the bottle because my brain works that way when it comes to alcohol. I've done great up to this point since surgery not drinking but old habits die hard.

For me I think the only way to avoid it is to stay away from it completely. I can't have it in the house otherwise it will be in a glass and being consumed. Pre surgery I was drinking a 1.75 sized bottle every two nights. That was for at least a year long period. I can't remember how many years it's been I've had an issue but this surgery was a way to help me kick it. The way I've felt over the last few months is amazing. I thought I'd never feel like this again. It's way to important to me now to give it up. I always said I'd never completely quit drinking but I think that's the only way I can be successful.

Never saw myself as an AA type of guy so couldn't bring myself to ever going but being here helps tons even though the support here is not for this issue. You've got my support as much as you need it. If you need an ear to bother DON'T hesitate to hit me up. Best of luck to all of us fighting this battle as well!!!

Never saw myself as an AA type of guy so couldn't bring myself to ever going but being here helps tons even though the support here is not for this issue.

You can do it mate. Just tell peeps you've developed an allergy to alcohol if that helps!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, J San said:

Been falling back into old habits myself these last few weeks. Started off with a pint. Only drank half and felt "great". Finished the other half the next day and same. Repeated again a few days later. Then moved onto a 1.75ml bottle thinking it'll last me waaaay longer and wind up cheaper. Well it lasted longer but my intake increased quite a bit. and started feeling like **** the next morning. Of course I had to finish the bottle because my brain works that way when it comes to alcohol. I've done great up to this point since surgery not drinking but old habits die hard.

For me I think the only way to avoid it is to stay away from it completely. I can't have it in the house otherwise it will be in a glass and being consumed. Pre surgery I was drinking a 1.75 sized bottle every two nights. That was for at least a year long period. I can't remember how many years it's been I've had an issue but this surgery was a way to help me kick it. The way I've felt over the last few months is amazing. I thought I'd never feel like this again. It's way to important to me now to give it up. I always said I'd never completely quit drinking but I think that's the only way I can be successful.

Never saw myself as an AA type of guy so couldn't bring myself to ever going but being here helps tons even though the support here is not for this issue. You've got my support as much as you need it. If you need an ear to bother DON'T hesitate to hit me up. Best of luck to all of us fighting this battle as well!!!

This is totally me! Im pre-op and haven't had a cocktail in weeks (only because I know i need to reduce for the surgery) but im already wondering how I will be post op.

Thank You for this post! hit close to home

I'm thinking of quitting drinking altogether. I'm 7 months out, I never drank much before and with the no eating and drinking I chose to keep drinking. So I'd drink ALMOST the whole bottle of wine but I don't get drunk fast like they say we do. I don't want to have one glass because hey, what's the point?

I never considered myself a food addict, I ate when I was bored, but when I had a food I really liked and bought it once in awhile I would gorge on it. I'm not even a fan of the taste of most wines until the second glass. Transfer addiction. Sadly my mom had this happen with her bypass. She lost the weight, started drinking and became a raging alcoholic for years. Now she's 5 years sober. (12 years post op) But she also put on 40 pounds in that process and with guilt of the embarrassment and also recently losing both her parents she is struggling to get it off.

So...anyway I know I won't be one of those people who can have that one glass of wine, I drink to get buzzed which always ends up in la la land and eventually weight gain. Nope. Done. The only place I will miss having a drink is weddings because they are awful sober. Did one 2.5 months post op, that dragged on and people were crazy drunk. So I said I'm thinking of quitting drinking in the beginning of this post, yeah as I've wrote about it and processed it more I'm definitely quitting.

Edited by magpie26

Happy to read these comments as my surgery is fast approaching (2 weeks) and giving up alcohol is going to be my biggest struggle. I do not drink daily but I do drink often socially and at home sometimes and well, honestly- I love it. So, I know it is a trigger and I do not plan on attempting to incorporate it back in down the road.

I remember reading or hearing that Alcohol is absorbed differently post op and can become an addiction even if you were not prone to it before. So not as simple as transfer addiction, more like regular addiction and the struggle will be tough. If you can avoid that painful path, please try. Try using the supports your team may be able to provide. Kudos on catching it early.

Safe Journey

Edited by GreenTealael

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, magpie26 said:

I'm thinking of quitting drinking altogether. I'm 7 months out, I never drank much before and with the no eating and drinking I chose to keep drinking. So I'd drink ALMOST the whole bottle of wine but I don't get drunk fast like they say we do. I don't want to have one glass because hey, what's the point?

I never considered myself a food addict, I ate when I was bored, but when I had a food I really liked and bought it once in awhile I would gorge on it. I'm not even a fan of the taste of most wines until the second glass. Transfer addiction. Sadly my mom had this happen with her bypass. She lost the weight, started drinking and became a raging alcoholic for years. Now she's 5 years sober. (12 years post op) But she also put on 40 pounds in that process and with guilt of the embarrassment and also recently losing both her parents she is struggling to get it off.

So...anyway I know I won't be one of those people who can have that one glass of wine, I drink to get buzzed which always ends up in la la land and eventually weight gain. Nope. Done. The only place I will miss having a drink is weddings because they are awful sober. Did one 2.5 months post op, that dragged on and people were crazy drunk. So I said I'm thinking of quitting drinking in the beginning of this post, yeah as I've wrote about it and processed it more I'm definitely quitting.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, nursenays said:

Happy to read these comments as my surgery is fast approaching (2 weeks) and giving up alcohol is going to be my biggest struggle. I do not drink daily but I do drink often socially and at home sometimes and well, honestly- I love it. So, I know it is a trigger and I do not plan on attempting to incorporate it back in down the road.

You know what guys it is so doable .I felt I would not be happy or entertained or feeling regular if I were not having my pint every night after work like clockwork chilling with my vodka and cranberry...bottles every where.. but you know what something greater than that comes to life in you as you walk this journey and there is nothing like feeling good about your self and waking up in the morning without the first thought being what you did or drank last night which then dictates how good you feel about yourself.That ladies and that along with the new found self love and esteem will guide you through forever if you let it . We got this and yes this surgery may have been the driving force to initiate it but our strength and self love will drive it on and we will be so proud of this accomplishment and there will be nothing that will take this away....WE got this...…. you go Ladies....hats off...

A little primer on alcohol (I am in the industry)

One of the things you might like to know is the quickest buzz is consumed with straight spirits, sipped slowly. Much of the alcohol will actually be absorbed right in your mouth, and it is a quick path to the brain. Unfortunately a lot of people drink too fast, and or mix spirits with various sodas, juices, etc so there is no immediate transfer of a good feeling. So then they drink more and more and eventually it is all absorbed into your blood stream through the stomach and intestine walls, where you end up having consumed twice as much, to get the feeling sipping straight or slightly altered spirits would have given an hour earlier. Extra money, extra calories from both the alcohol and the mixers.

Think martinis , or bourbon or rum on the rocks. About the worst thing you can do, is drink shots. You might as well tip your head back and have someone pour 4 tablespoons of raw sugar in your throat 🍰🍪 For every shot. Actually worse than that (From a WLS stand) are liqueurs or cordials. By law they must contain a minimum of 2.5% raw sugar Syrup back into the previously distilled spirits. Some add up to 15%.. Same with those creme based spirits, and that isn't just sugar they also add whole creme fat that keeps the alcohol in solution and prevent curdling.

I have also read on many blogs people claiming they used to drink before WLS, but now get drunk easier. We'll of course you do. Because in most cases WLS patients end up with much less body mass to absorb and assimilate the same amount of alcohol. A breath anaylizer is a very good tool to have in your pocket or purse, to obtain optimal enjoyment, plus remain legal to drive (but it is always best to take an uber, or DD home. 0.04 is the ideal euphoric effect.

there is also the fear of transference from food to alcohol and you must remain vigilant to not allow this to occur.

the other item that seems to be misunderstood is that some believe sugar and alcohol react differently than each other in weight gain. It's simply not true. Alcohol is sugar/starch to begin with (from a variety of plants, or sugar cane, grapes, etc. Alcohol producers then add yeast to those various items , and said yeast "converts" note I sad "converts, not consumes" those plant sugars into alcohol and Carbon-dioxide

these is no difference between raw sugar and alcohol. Except one can make you feel better if used appropriately.

I am not writing this to push one guilty pleasure over the other, I am just pointing out that you should perhaps look up the caloric content of the alcohol you drink, with the same intensity as I beleive many do with the sugar/carb load of food. It's just calories, either way, and if you are going to drink in moderation,you shoul calculate those calories into you meal plan.