Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have Insurance (Cigna) approve surgery to just deny it after all clearances were done?

Cigna had originally approved procedure, gave my doctor a list of clearances I will need. Then after all clearances were done they denied it. Has this happened to anyone before? Is there anything we can do about it? It is super frustrating to go thru all these tests and then be denied.

6 hours ago, JOJ said:

Cigna had originally approved procedure, gave my doctor a list of clearances I will need. Then after all clearances were done they denied it. Has this happened to anyone before? Is there anything we can do about it? It is super frustrating to go thru all these tests and then be denied.

Appeal the new decision and be sure to point out that the procedure was already approved. 9 times out of 10 the appeal will be approved. I'm pretty sure it's just a money saving technique employed by the insurance companies to try to limit having to pay for the surgeries. Like pretending to walk away from buying a car to try to get the dealership to lower the price, the insurance company might be trying to see "if you are serious".

It won't make you feel any better but I will tell you this happens ALL THE TIME with many payers - not just CIGNA (although we've had more than our share of battles with them). It is infuriating when you jump through all these hoops (most of which are "baloney" or another "B" word!) only to be told "no" at the end. Sometimes the "no" is more of a clerical issue that can be easily dealt with - other times it is much more involved. CIGNA just updated its medical policy and that change very well may have complicated how your preauthorization request was handled. (I've attached a copy of the updated version for you to look at. In many ways it is more "patient-friendly" but I'll bet your case was reviewed under a more restrictive medical policy.) You do have appeal rights available now so I recommend you give us a call so we can find out more about why they said no and give some guidance about your various options. Hope this helps.

CIGNA medical policy effective October 9 2018.pdf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches