Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new :) This is a little long. Sorry. :)

Hi. I just joined this board. I'm having lapband surgery on Nov. 16. I'm pretty nervous about it. I really want to do it, but it seems like there can be a lot of problems afterwards. Everyone I know who's had weight loss surgery is glad they did it, but it's still kinda scary. My doctor is very good and I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm wondering if there's anyone on this board who has to take aspirin and/or Plavix? I have heart issues (which is partly why I'm having this surgery) and will need to be on both these medications after surgery. I stop the Plavix on Sunday, but I stay on the aspirin through surgery and afterwards (I have stents, so I need the asa to keep the stents open, I guess.). I'm just wondering how that's working for people.

I'm also a little nervous about going through the holidays after just having had surgery and not being able to eat anything. I haven't really told my husband's side of the family that I'm doing this, but I'll have to have some explanation as to why I'm not eating anything for Thanksgiving and will still probably be on a restricted diet at Christmas time. I thought about waiting until Jan, but I'd gotten everything done and I didn't want to lose momentum. Plus, we'd already met the deductible for our insurance, so it would save us a lot of money.

I should probably say something about myself, too. I'm 33 years old. I'm married and have three lovely children, ages 6, 4 and 2. I've always been somewhat overweight, but it has really become a problem in the last few years as I've had kids. I have a congenital heart defect, which affects my energy level and I had a heart attack last year (unrelated to the defect) which further lowered my heart function as well as requiring me to take medications which have increased my appetite. I've gained about 20 lbs in the last 18 months. I'm having this surgery to hopefully reduce the strain on my heart caused by the extra weight. I'd like to live to see my children grow up. Just as much, I'd like to enjoy the life I have right now. My mom was overweight when I was a kid and I remember how hard it was for all of us that she couldn't do things and I know that the way she felt about herself affected me a lot. I don't want that for my children. My mom had gastric bypass surgery four years ago. She has lost about 150 lbs and feels amazing. The bypass wasn't an option for me, what with the medications and the uncertainty of my future health.

So, here I go! I know my life is going to change next week and I'm a little anxious! I've read quite a few posts by other members and it seems like this is really the way to go. But man, it's still a lot of work! I look forward to reading more posts and getting good support and help as I start this journey!

Welcome to the board! I can't answer your questions about the drugs but I do think there area several ways of handling the holiday dinners with the family. Assuming you do not want to tell them, some suggestions:

1. Say that you're on a restricted diet.

2. Tell them you woke up feeling a little queasy and don't think you should eat anything until "later," which never comes.

3. Put some food on your plate, push it around, put an empty fork in your mouth now and then, and talk a lot.

4. If everyone is eating at different tables or in different rooms, move around and visit with a plate of food in your hand.

5. Excuse yourself and dump some food in the trash or the sink while getting a drink or "using the restroom."

5. Eat with your kids and move food from your plate to theirs.

6. Stay busy setting the table, pouring drinks, replenishing rolls, etc.

7. Tell them you ate did too much tasting while you were cooking and aren't hungry.

I haven't been through this as a banded person but I lost 70 pounds on Medifast four years ago and didn't tell everyone what I was doing. But I found that people weren't that interested in whether I was eating -- they were too busy eating themselves! And even when I wasn't avoiding eating, I've found that I ate very little sometimes because I was so busy as the hostess.

I'll still be on full liquids for Thanksgiving. My family knows but my daughter is having the dinner at her house and my son-in-law's family doesn't know about it. My son-in-law is going to make some pumpkin bisque and I might also have some mashed potatoes thinned with gravy. If anyone asks, I'm just going to say that my stomach is a little unsettled. I just don't feel like explaining it on a holiday!

Hi, ladybug! I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I wanted to say something about people thinking you should wait until after the holidays (sometimes even yourself) - you're doing this THESE holidays so that you'll be sure to be around and HEALTHY for next holidays! It's a very worthy cause. You'll have a lifetime of holidays coming up because you've chosen to make a big choice for your health. I'm getting banded on the 15th, so I'll be right there at the same time as you.

Longhorn - GOOD ideas! I wouldn't have thought of those.

Hi, ladybug! I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I wanted to say something about people thinking you should wait until after the holidays (sometimes even yourself) - you're doing this THESE holidays so that you'll be sure to be around and HEALTHY for next holidays! It's a very worthy cause. You'll have a lifetime of holidays coming up because you've chosen to make a big choice for your health. I'm getting banded on the 15th, so I'll be right there at the same time as you.

Longhorn - GOOD ideas! I wouldn't have thought of those.

Thanks, Stephanie! I've always been one to tell a little too much about my business but as I've gotten older, I have realized that just because I was anxious to tell doesn't mean they were dying to find out! :) There are times I thought I'd be peppered with questions and I kept mum and surprise! No one asked a thing or if they did, they accepted my brief explanation. Who knew? :)

Hi

How are you doing since your surgery? I am finding out everything about lapband. I want to do it too. The finances are a problem right now and convincing my husband that I am doing it.

Lynda

Hi Longhorn (what is your name?

I am planning not to tell people since I have had so many negative responses from the few people I mentioned it too. I feel it is my choice and my body. I want to do this now. Wish I didn't have to wait right now.

Lynda

Hi Longhorn (what is your name?

I am planning not to tell people since I have had so many negative responses from the few people I mentioned it too. I feel it is my choice and my body. I want to do this now. Wish I didn't have to wait right now.

Lynda

Hi, Lynda!

I've been pretty selective about who I tell. No one at work knows except the one student. I may eventually tell people but I'd rather wait until I have some results. With my family, I knew my mother and in-laws would be hurt if I didn't tell them but I also didn't want them to have to keep it a secret from my siblings, plus I'm hoping my sister may decide to do this eventually. They would tell their children, of course, so there seemed no reason not to tell my aunts and uncles and cousins. So my entire family knows but that's okay. It's kind of an "all or nothing" thing with them.

I don't use my real name on the board. My name is not common and might make it harder to remain anonymous. :)

Good luck!

What you are feeling, ladybug, is perfectly normal at this juncture!! I was ready to jump out of my skin the last week. But of course, you KNOW that the answer is NOT to wait until after the holidays--because there's ALWAYS going to be something coming up in the next week or month!

I'm so glad you are taking this step so you can see your children grow and your grandchildren also! Without this tool, we are condemned to facing diabetes, kidney failure, and you already know some of the heart issues.

Take Longhorn's suggestions--they all sound terrific!! I have just "come out" to my husband's family within the last week and luckily they are supportive.

Tell me, how could anyone NOT support our need for better quality of life?!!!

The very best to you, ladybug... :)

I have to take alot of medications because I am diabetic have high BP and cholesterol. I was told to check with the pharmacy to make sure my pills can be crushed, which I did. If they can't be crushed or cut then they will have to change your meds. I was told that as long as it is no larger than a baby aspirin I could take it, but because I have to take so many I crush them....yuky! Man it's bitter, but we do what we have to do. I am hoping eventually to get off all the meds. For those who are anxious about the surgury, go to the library and get the book by Kaliha Ali "Fighting Weight". It is a fantastic book and describes her experience with being banded as well as how she had to fight weight all her life. I highly recommend it! Yes there are alot of hoops to jump through, but well worth the trouble. I'm not sorry at all I did it. And I figure there will be plenty of holidays

Thanks for the suggestions! I was planning on just saying that I wasn't feeling well and going with that, since I probably won't be feeling all that well! It will be the truth!

I will probably tell everyone later on, after I've lost some weight and am more comfortable with the whole thing. But right now I'm kindof embarassed. Is that normal? Maybe it's because I've had so many people be amazed that I'm doing this since I'm not "that" overweight (I only qualify because of my co-morbidity of heart disease), although I feel awful with the extra weight.

Thanks again for the responses. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along!