Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Choosing a surgery ...

Hey guys

I’ve been reading all your amazing posts and lurking in the shadows for a few weeks now. I’m doing loads of research - started off by thinking I wanted the mini gastric bypass ...now I’m moving towards the vertical sleeve!

I’m in the UK, London.

Getting my head around the main principle that the surgery is a tool not a total solution...

I’m freaking out about my appetite long term after surgery!

I had a gastric band 11 years ago and almost within 3 months was diagnosed with cervical cancer - so didn’t follow the rules ... after I was given the all clear I went on the Atkins diet and lost 75lbs but as soon as I stopped all the weight and more went back on - that was in 2013.

I had to get the Fluid removed 2 months ago as I had a surgical procedure for my heart... Now I’m 300lbs - an increase of 20lbs because I went crazy when the fluid was removed!

I just want to feel in control of my appetite and not feel like this crazy hungry person any more!

I just want to feel full and disinterested in food...I want to look at food and not crave all the bad stuff ... I don’t want to continually eat until I feel too full to move!! I’ve had enough!

Please help me decide what to do...

Thank you for such an amazing forum!

🌻

Hey guys

I’ve been reading all your amazing posts and lurking in the shadows for a few weeks now. I’m doing loads of research - started off by thinking I wanted the mini gastric bypass ...now I’m moving towards the vertical sleeve!

I’m in the UK, London.

Getting my head around the main principle that the surgery is a tool not a total solution...

I’m freaking out about my appetite long term after surgery!

I had a gastric band 11 years ago and almost within 3 months was diagnosed with cervical cancer - so didn’t follow the rules ... after I was given the all clear I went on the Atkins diet and lost 75lbs but as soon as I stopped all the weight and more went back on - that was in 2013.

I had to get the Fluid removed 2 months ago as I had a surgical procedure for my heart... Now I’m 300lbs - an increase of 20lbs because I went crazy when the Fluid was removed!

I just want to feel in control of my appetite and not feel like this crazy hungry person any more!

I just want to feel full and disinterested in food...I want to look at food and not crave all the bad stuff ... I don’t want to continually eat until I feel too full to move!! I’ve had enough!

Please help me decide what to do...

Thank you for such an amazing forum!

[emoji258]
Hi there I also had a band fitted and then within 6 months was diagnosed with cervical cancer, now 6 years on had the band removed and am on a pathway to revision to sleeve or bypass.

Both bypass and sleeve are restrictive so they will restrict the amount you can eat but if you graze all day you can overeat.

Sent from my VFD 700 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Helen

Thank you for your reply! Such similar experiences! Wow!

I’m seeing the Bariatric surgeon on 1st October and am researching like crazy ...

I just don’t want an appetite! Ha ha ... and I don’t want my head to sabotage me...

I’m probably asking for too much... lol

When are you having your surgery and what will be the deciding factor for you?

🌻

Hi Helen

Thank you for your reply! Such similar experiences! Wow!

I’m seeing the Bariatric surgeon on 1st October and am researching like crazy ...

I just don’t want an appetite! Ha ha ... and I don’t want my head to sabotage me...

I’m probably asking for too much... lol

When are you having your surgery and what will be the deciding factor for you?

[emoji258]
Hi
No date yet as waiting on NHS, I need to see a psychologist and physiotherapist but hospital only just able to fill physio roll

I had the lapband too. I am 4 week post op with the sleeve and I still get hungry. I don't think any surgery would take away my appetite but I can only eat so much now so I try to get in the Protein. I think I would still be hungry if they removed my whole stomach lol

Thank you for your reply! I was hoping that the op reduced all the appetite craving hunger thing... It sounds like it’s a constant struggle! 🙀

You will have an appetite, I’ve had the RNY and am hungry. However my body cannot handle much at this point. I’m very restricted

like Aurora girl4489 I am also RNY. but not so hungry , had bouts of emesis, feeding my pouch softly and tenderly, but 2-3 T about does me, a couple times made it to 4T (1/4 cup) anymore and there is rebellion in my chest, pain and nemesis.of emesis.

Thanks for your replies Auroragirl & Frustr8...

I’m so scared I’ll just sabotage myself ... if I have a bad day my brain may try and get me to eat rubbish... stress is such a trigger for me!

What are your triggers and how do you deal with them? 🤯

A clenched fist, and don't be surprised if your tastes change, story after story on here bears it out. But still it will be good for you. And we are your chums forever, we will be cheering,you all the way!

🤗 thank you Frustr8! So scared I’ll fail but this forum has been so helpful and informative! 🤗

Hi
No date yet as waiting on NHS, I need to see a psychologist and physiotherapist but hospital only just able to fill physio roll

There's a little known EU law you might want to try and take advantage of before Brexit called the Cross-Border Healthcare Directive. If you get a referral from your GP, you can have your procedure done straight away anywhere else in Europe (like Belgium, where I am going). You have to pay up front yourself, so some people need to get a loan, but then the home state (in your case, the UK) reimburses you up to the maximum they would have paid if you have had it in the UK.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/going-abroad-for-treatment/compare-funding-routes/

So for example I'm in Ireland and the cost of major obesity procedures is capped at €8500 (approx). My band to mini-gastric bypass is approx. €7500 with Belgium Surgery Services so I can get that all reimbursed except not flights (but they are pretty cheap, €20 each way with Ryanair off peak).

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

WOW What good news that is for you,in the UK and elsewhere. Best Wishes to all of you from ME

This looks so interesting! I had no idea... I’m going to check it out ... thank you ummyasmin 😊

How are you getting on Frustr8... you are so uplifting and positive ...🤗