Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction - Do you still feel it? Will it always be there?

Random Question - Are there days when you don't feel the restriction? The past three days I was nervous that the restriction was gone, so much so that I dreaded eating today thinking I could overeat. Today it's back and could barely muster 1.5 oz of chicken. I haven't changed my diet, if anything it's almost consistent; could that be an issue too?

So my question is are there times when you don't feel the restriction?

My diet is heavy Protein 60-70g per day, minimal carbs 20-25 net and 64 - 100 oz of Water daily.

On 9/17/2018 at 5:39 PM, Letgo said:

I searched for this topic and cant find anything. So I wanted to ask how your restriction is doing. I really don't want mine to ever go away. But I hear it kind of gets less and less. Are there any people out there who had a VSG years ago and still feel a very strong restriction when eating? What can I expect?

I'm four years out. My restriction is less but it's still there. I feel full after a meal but I can hold more food volume.

Lunch: Normal sized plate 4 oz chicken, 2 cups salad, 6 sliced strawberries, 1 oz blue cheese 2 tablespoons raspberry vinaigrette. Density of food is a factor in how much I can eat in one sitting. Knowing I can eat more food means I can get in more calories. I have to keep things balanced to maintain my weight.

1 hour ago, MargoCL said:

Random Question - Are there days when you don't feel the restriction? The past three days I was nervous that the restriction was gone, so much so that I dreaded eating today thinking I could overeat. Today it's back and could barely muster 1.5 oz of chicken. I haven't changed my diet, if anything it's almost consistent; could that be an issue too?

So my question is are there times when you don't feel the restriction?

My diet is heavy Protein 60-70g per day, minimal carbs 20-25 net and 64 - 100 oz of Water daily.

You might have read about this already. If so pass over my post 😉

You don't really feel the restriction as much or that stuffed feeling if you eat several small meals a day. Multiple meals throughout the day that stay within your calorie range is fine.

Something to be mindful about.

Yes, you can overeat with weight loss surgery. It can sneak up on you because you don't feel the restriction in repeated small meals. The calories and macros can easily go over your range if you are grazing small meals of healthy and unhealthy choices. Its as if you never had surgery.

1 minute ago, skinnylife said:

You might have read about this already. If so pass over my post 😉

You don't really feel the restriction as much or that stuffed feeling if you eat several small meals a day. Multiple meals throughout the day that stay within your calorie range is fine.

Something to be mindful about.

Yes, you can overeat with weight loss surgery. It can sneak up on you because you don't feel the restriction in repeated small meals. The calories and macros can easily go over your range if you are grazing small meals of healthy and unhealthy choices. Its as if you never had surgery.

I've had to do several small meals since I got to the pureed stage to meet my Protein goals and I've felt the fullness / restriction. It was really only this past Saturday - Monday that I felt like I could eat a horse and not be satiated (and actually had less meals overall). But today, I'm right back to feeling the fullness / restriction. So weird. I haven't been able to finish a solid meal yet.

2 minutes ago, MargoCL said:

I've had to do several small meals since I got to the pureed stage to meet my Protein goals and I've felt the fullness / restriction. It was really only this past Saturday - Monday that I felt like I could eat a horse and not be satiated (and actually had less meals overall). But today, I'm right back to feeling the fullness / restriction. So weird. I haven't been able to finish a solid meal yet.

Beginning food stages are rough, Right? I understand the hunger issue. Its gets better with real food stage. Hang in there.

When I'm eating meals, it's there. I'm 2 years out. Now if I graze and pick at stuff all day, no I don't feel it. And certainly I can eat more now than right after surgery. But tonight I had a pork chop and rice for dinner. I could eat 1/4 cup of rice and about 4.5 ounces of pork chop. (Mind you, I cooked after doing crossfit and burning about 1,000 calories). So, I still feel it and I'm grateful for it. It keeps me on the straight and narrow.