Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who is sick of purees? Some fresh ideas...

Ramekins are the best! They heat so nicely in the microwave or oven. Hubby, however, is sick of looking at the stacks of half eaten ramekins I have stashed in the fridge. I keep overfilling them and can't eat it all. I hate wasting food so I keep shoving them in the fridge but then never eat the rest. Oops!
Thank you for these recipes - I will definitely try that pumpkin one [emoji4]
Are you measuring your food? I use ramekins and both weigh and measure volume to ensure I don't over fill.

3 hours ago, MargoCL said:
On 9/9/2018 at 3:33 PM, Naughty Glitter Goddess said:
Ramekins are the best! They heat so nicely in the microwave or oven. Hubby, however, is sick of looking at the stacks of half eaten ramekins I have stashed in the fridge. I keep overfilling them and can't eat it all. I hate wasting food so I keep shoving them in the fridge but then never eat the rest. Oops!
Thank you for these recipes - I will definitely try that pumpkin one

Are you measuring your food? I use ramekins and both weigh and measure volume to ensure I don't over fill.

Yes, I was measuring from the beginning (by weight with a digital scale); it has just taken some time to figure out how much I need to eat. I'm much better already (only a week later) at knowing how much to serve myself. I'm also no longer struggling with the food aversions I was having. Sometimes 1 bite was all I could do and I kept saving because I thought I'd try again later or the following day. I'm happy to say, all of that is going much better. Thanks for checking in!

I made chicken gravy. 6 boneless and skinless chicken thighs baked in chicken broth. Cooked for about an hr. then poured it all in the blender. To make gravy flour, butter and heavy whipping cream then add the chicken. Served over potatoes. Was really good. This has been the best thing I’ve had in 2 wks.

On 1/1/2019 at 3:01 PM, Diana Gay said:

@Naughty Glitter Goddess Do you make your own refried Beans? Special recipe?

I do not. I buy refried Beans from a local mexican fast food drive thru taqueria. The canned ones were too thick and pasty for me. I tried to thin them out but it's just not the same as homemade, and I don't know how to make homemade beans taste amazing. I would buy one $3 container and it would last 4 meals. Luckily, I'm 5 mo post-op so I've moved on to regular foods but I still eat these beans :)

OMG I can’t wait to get out of the liquid stage and try some of your recipes! My doctor requires 21 day liquid and I am already so tired of it but doing as told.

On 9/6/2018 at 2:50 PM, Naughty Glitter Goddess said:

Refried Beans will always be my absolute fave!

20180905_154548.jpg

Hi Naughty Glitter Goddess! Hope all is well on your end. I had my gastric sleeve surgery December 17th. Can you give me your recipe for the refried Beans? I never made them before but I’m willing to try.

Yes give me all the recipes! I especially like the idea of using nutritional yeast.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Slightly gutted. Your ideas all sound fab on paper and will keep.an eye on the thread, but I'm ruled by texture and whizzed up lunch has me mentally done before I begin. Never say never though!

Started purees today (10 days post sleeve) with porridge cos I loved it. Puree 'safe space'. Fine milled porridge with lots milk powder added to 1%. Had idea I was meant to eat until I'm 'full', or for 20 minutes. Whichever is sooner.

Though my stomach didn't totally rebel, eating was really unpleasant. Didn't like texture. Stopped when it ticked to more like nausea...10-15 TSP and approx 5g Protein in. Huge win that it stayed down and I got that far, but sad the easy end of the puree scale was so tough. Usual 'Am I normal/am I doing it wrong?' questions

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

On 1/31/2019 at 5:46 AM, BrighterSide said:

Slightly gutted. Your ideas all sound fab on paper and will keep.an eye on the thread, but I'm ruled by texture and whizzed up lunch has me mentally done before I begin. Never say never though!

Started purees today (10 days post sleeve) with porridge cos I loved it. Puree 'safe space'. Fine milled porridge with lots milk powder added to 1%. Had idea I was meant to eat until I'm 'full', or for 20 minutes. Whichever is sooner.

Though my stomach didn't totally rebel, eating was really unpleasant. Didn't like texture. Stopped when it ticked to more like nausea...10-15 TSP and approx 5g Protein in. Huge win that it stayed down and I got that far, but sad the easy end of the puree scale was so tough. Usual 'Am I normal/am I doing it wrong?' questions

I am also not a fan of purees. The texture is absolutely nauseating, especially with things that you wouldn't normally eat pureed. Trying porridge was a great move - I'd try adding some unflavored Protein Powder to see if you can get that extra bit of nutrition in.

The thing that helped for me was to make these things look like a mini casserole with the cheese melted on top. That way, I couldn't see what gross stuff was under there. Things I liked the best were things that I didn't have to puree - they already come that way. ie: refried Beans, yogurt, thick Soups, pudding, guacamole, hummus, etc.

It's been a week since your post - I hope it's going better!

I am also not a fan of purees. The texture is absolutely nauseating, especially with things that you wouldn't normally eat pureed. Trying porridge was a great move - I'd try adding some unflavored Protein Powder to see if you can get that extra bit of nutrition in.

The thing that helped for me was to make these things look like a mini casserole with the cheese melted on top. That way, I couldn't see what gross stuff was under there. Things I liked the best were things that I didn't have to puree - they already come that way. ie: refried Beans, yogurt, thick Soups, pudding, guacamole, hummus, etc.

It's been a week since your post - I hope it's going better!

Thank you for the solidarity. I felt like I was being a wuss, but I've always been very sensitive to texture with food. I've survived since doing similar to what you proposed. Had the family recipe Pasta Sauce whizzed up with veg, but very very finely chopped very soft chicken breast and had a few bits of grated cheese with. Did the same with some salmon and a low low fat soft cheese with teeny tiny bits of chopped up Cucumber in it. Then chicken and gravy. All total mush when chewed a couple of times and no stomach complaints.

I know that's kinda cheating Vs just blitzing the heck out of it all, but did reckon Drs try to protect those who perhaps aren't cooks or can't afford the great tender cuts of meat and fish fillets I'm lucky enough to be able to.