Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana week after surgery?

If you have a opinion on weed, good for you but I am not asking to hear it. I am just looking for help. So I had my surgery on the 28th of August and for the last 3 days before it I smoked marijuana even though everyone says not to. My surgery results were amazing so far, no feelings of having to throw up, 17 pounds down already, and almost no pain left as of today just a slight soar feeling. I am a regular marijuana user and I want to start smoking again. Do you think ill be okay if I resumed?

Smoke of any kind is going to be bad for your lungs and increase your chances of getting pneumonia post-surgery. That's a big risk.

There aren't a lot of studies showing how many of the other tobacco-related risks apply to marijuana, so I'm not sure we can tell you how or whether it'll affect how fast you heal, whether blood clots are more likely, etc. But it seems risky?

It's also likely to make it harder to modulate your appetite.

And there are documented risks of people performing other addictive behaviors more obsessively, to compensate for their inability to eat to excess, which is part of why we're told to avoid alcohol for the first year. That reasoning applies to marijuana, too, even though it's not physically addictive in the same way alcohol is; you don't want your fun little habit to get totally out of control.

My advice is to hold off for at least a while. Maybe a year is too much to ask, though that would be the wisest course. Maybe see how you feel after three months? Six, if you can handle it?

great question! is that something you feel comfortable asking your doctor or nutritionist??

9 minutes ago, CrankyMagpie said:

Smoke of any kind is going to be bad for your lungs and increase your chances of getting pneumonia post-surgery. That's a big risk.

There aren't a lot of studies showing how many of the other tobacco-related risks apply to marijuana, so I'm not sure we can tell you how or whether it'll affect how fast you heal, whether blood clots are more likely, etc. But it seems risky?

It's also likely to make it harder to modulate your appetite.

And there are documented risks of people performing other addictive behaviors more obsessively, to compensate for their inability to eat to excess, which is part of why we're told to avoid alcohol for the first year. That reasoning applies to marijuana, too, even though it's not physically addictive in the same way alcohol is; you don't want your fun little habit to get totally out of control.

My advice is to hold off for at least a while. Maybe a year is too much to ask, though that would be the wisest course. Maybe see how you feel after three months? Six, if you can handle it?

Im very good at controlling my appetite when smoking. Is pneumonia the only risk from doing this? Also I am also good at controlling how often and how much I smoke.

7 minutes ago, MeggyMooMaloo said:

Don’t worry. I was smoking weed after one week. It massively helps with nausea and pain relief. It’s natural medicine. 🔥

Obviously this is me being bias but thank you so much this is the answer I wanted to hear haha. Few questions, what surgery did you have done and how was the coughing during your sessions?

Edited by Joewy

27 minutes ago, fluffy562 said:

great question! is that something you feel comfortable asking your doctor or nutritionist??

Not to comfortable with asking plus I feel like as a doctor you're required to tell me not to lol

I had a sleeve in December of 2016. People always have opinions, right? And that’s cool. But do what works for you. There’s an awesome video on YouTube about it... she’s super cool and she had a bypass. Anyway, there’s loads of dank loving wls sisters on Instagram and everyone has similar experiences to my own. Massive benefits, no drawbacks. And c’mon, issues with munchies? No I stay hydrated and no problems with coughing. 😘

3 minutes ago, MeggyMooMaloo said:

I had a sleeve in December of 2016. People always have opinions, right? And that’s cool. But do what works for you. There’s an awesome video on YouTube about it... she’s super cool and she had a bypass. Anyway, there’s loads of dank loving wls sisters on Instagram and everyone has similar experiences to my own. Massive benefits, no drawbacks. And c’mon, issues with munchies? No I stay hydrated and no problems with coughing. 😘

I cant thank you enough!!

3 hours ago, Joewy said:

If you have a opinion on weed, good for you but I am not asking to hear it. I am just looking for help. So I had my surgery on the 28th of August and for the last 3 days before it I smoked marijuana even though everyone says not to. My surgery results were amazing so far, no feelings of having to throw up, 17 pounds down already, and almost no pain left as of today just a slight soar feeling. I am a regular marijuana user and I want to start smoking again. Do you think ill be okay if I resumed?

Not yet, youre Perioperative and still at risk for some major complications. Hold off/out as long as you can

https://www.verywellhealth.com/marijuana-and-surgery-3156981

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hightimes.com/health/safe-use-cannabis-after-surgery/amp/

Edited by GreenTealael

On 09/05/2018 at 16:09, Joewy said:

Can you vape it at all?

The biggest concern I would have is that you may have a coughing fit from smoking... and that might be painful/damaging to the stitches you have internally.

I vaped 1 month post op and didn’t have any issues. But I am a casual/social participant in such things. My usage is generally between 3-10 times a year depending on the situations I’m in, people I’m around, and how I’m feeling.

I would just be really careful to not cough. And yeah- smoke isn’t so hot for your insides at this point (or ever really) so maybe check out other ways to enjoy it.

On 09/05/2018 at 17:12, Joewy said:

Not to comfortable with asking plus I feel like as a doctor you're required to tell me not to lol

IDK one of the surgeon’s in my program said he couldn’t tell us that something illegal was okay to do, but that it wasn’t a big deal down the road and just watch out for the munchies.

3 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

Can you vape it at all?

The biggest concern I would have is that you may have a coughing fit from smoking... and that might be painful/damaging to the stitches you have internally.

I vaped 1 month post op and didn’t have any issues. But I am a casual/social participant in such things. My usage is generally between 3-10 times a year depending on the situations I’m in, people I’m around, and how I’m feeling.

I would just be really careful to not cough. And yeah- smoke isn’t so hot for your insides at this point (or ever really) so maybe check out other ways to enjoy it.

Im pretty good at preventing myself from coughing.

SWIM was smoking/vaping a week post op with no issues. Coughing was controlled by putting pressure on the main incision. Zero nausea, Zero appetite control issues, Zero anything.... Cannabis is a fantastic medication for treating injuries and speeding healing times, reducing swelling, assisting with sleep, treating pain, etc.

I personally am on Dronabinol for sleep issues (FDA approved THC pills), was taking them the night I got home from surgery, no issues.

Most doctors/surgeons are going to go with the FDA/Federal rhetoric and tell you all these trumped up horror stories. The truth of the matter is, it's mostly lies to support why they made it illegal. But those that have used it post surgery all say the same thing, it helped out greatly and they had zero issues with using it.