Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 things I've learned 5 yrs out

Thanks so much for the feedback! I am glad you are still doing well and believe in your sleeve ☺️☺️

Thank you! I have always known that when I'm hurting inside food was my go to and calm me down. I think that is the hardest thing to relearn to stop. Dieting is easy. Family just could not believe that 2 weeks on liquid only. But this is for me! I am first priority Now. I put everyone first and me second. I want the me on the inside to come out.

I loved this post! It was great information, definitely going to save it. I love how you were so true and candid about the experience. But this made me wonder as well, did you suffer any major complications from the surgery? For example do you have GERD issues now that you didn't prior? Hair loss? Has it stopped or still going strong. Would love to hear from you!

In just a few short days I will be at my 1 Year anniversary! I agree with you so much!! I have lost 77 pounds and so HAPPY! I do look at others at 1 yr out and lost a lot more than myself. However, You need to only focus on yourself! This is what I have learned most. I have not deprived myself at all! I have my bloody mary's, vodka waters and snacks! I stay away from any bubbles and I do focus on Protein. I eat rice, Pasta and drink with a straw! lol I'm happy!!! Congrats to you!!!

Thanks for the awesome, honest post. Everything you've said here was true to my experience, as well. Great job!

OP, have I told you lately that I love you?

All very wise points. Thank you for sharing this with others.

#3 and #4 should be carved in stone!

On 9/4/2018 at 2:03 PM, sharonintx said:

Hello fellow sleevers. I have been on this site very little in the past couple of years but have logged in today to respond to a question. Since I'm here, I feel obligated to tell you all the things I've learned after 5 years.

1. The people that told me my approach to living life with the sleeve was all wrong and that I would fail, gain weight in a few years, stretch my sleeve, and regret my actions are mostly gone now. I have seen a couple of them around but the most are long gone. Do not pay much attention to the know-it-alls. They know no more than anyone else and are just as likely to fail.

2. Obviously you want to follow your Dr's instructions but don't get too hung up on strict rules and diets. If you make reasonable decisions and balance your good and bad food choices, your sleeve will do most of the work for you. I have eaten anything I wanted since day one. I try to pay attention to Protein etc., but I do not deny myself anything. You have the sleeve for a reason. Let it do it's job. Don't force it to hold more than it can and do not deny yourself the things that make you happy. Balance - just do it.

3. WLS is much more than losing weight. It is getting to the bottom of the issues that cause us to compensate with food in the first place. Pay more attention to your mental well being than the numbers on the scale. Your long term success depends on it.

4. Know that even after you reach your goal weight you will still be the same person with the same insecurities. Being thin changes nothing. If you did it for health reasons then hopefully those will no longer be an issue, but the person you are and how you feel inside doesn't change from losing weight. That has to change on the inside. No way around it.

5. Know that once you have made the necessary changes inside and out there will be some people that don't relate to you the same or just plain don't like you anymore. Also know that what they think is completely irrelevant . Physical and mental changes for the better intimidate those with small minds. Don't give them a second thought.

Thanks for reading.

I'm seven years out and couldn't agree with this more. Spot on and my experience too.

Glad I read this today, just at the beginning of my journey and needed to hear all of this! Such a great post!

Hello fellow sleevers. I have been on this site very little in the past couple of years but have logged in today to respond to a question. Since I'm here, I feel obligated to tell you all the things I've learned after 5 years.
1. The people that told me my approach to living life with the sleeve was all wrong and that I would fail, gain weight in a few years, stretch my sleeve, and regret my actions are mostly gone now. I have seen a couple of them around but the most are long gone. Do not pay much attention to the know-it-alls. They know no more than anyone else and are just as likely to fail.
2. Obviously you want to follow your Dr's instructions but don't get too hung up on strict rules and diets. If you make reasonable decisions and balance your good and bad food choices, your sleeve will do most of the work for you. I have eaten anything I wanted since day one. I try to pay attention to Protein etc., but I do not deny myself anything. You have the sleeve for a reason. Let it do it's job. Don't force it to hold more than it can and do not deny yourself the things that make you happy. Balance - just do it.
3. WLS is much more than losing weight. It is getting to the bottom of the issues that cause us to compensate with food in the first place. Pay more attention to your mental well being than the numbers on the scale. Your long term success depends on it.
4. Know that even after you reach your goal weight you will still be the same person with the same insecurities. Being thin changes nothing. If you did it for health reasons then hopefully those will no longer be an issue, but the person you are and how you feel inside doesn't change from losing weight. That has to change on the inside. No way around it.
5. Know that once you have made the necessary changes inside and out there will be some people that don't relate to you the same or just plain don't like you anymore. Also know that what they think is completely irrelevant . Physical and mental changes for the better intimidate those with small minds. Don't give them a second thought.
Thanks for reading.

How do you balance you good and bad? Bad meal a day, twice a week, once a week?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 9/4/2018 at 5:03 PM, sharonintx said:

Thanks for reading.

Thank you for your insight!

3 hours ago, k.love said:

How do you balance you good and bad? Bad meal a day, twice a week, once a week?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well.....to be honest I do not give a lot of thought to good meals vs. bad. I eat what I want, whatever the rest of the family is eating ( we like food a lot) and try to pay attention to Protein. I suppose that every meal has some bad. I'm certain I have bad things every single day. I gain a couple pounds now and then and have to make an effort to cut back on bad until those pounds go away. I know I need to try harder as far as food choices go but for now I feel pretty good and I'm healthy enough.

7 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

No food addictions or maladaptive eating patterns?

I Googled maladaptive eating patterns:) No I do not have food addictions or other eating issues. I do still have trouble eating slowly and very often I eat 3 more bites than I should have but no serious problems.