Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Addict

Hi everybody. I’m 18 days post op and so far I had one dumping episode because I ate to fast. But other than that, it’s pretty much smooth sailing so far (fingers crossed it continues to be) very thankful for that.

Today I realized more than ever I’m a food addict. And I admit today I’m a food addict. I was in denial. And I always didn’t understand why I went back to eating junk once I tasted it again after a long period of dieting. 🤔 and now today, I wholeheartedly admit I’m an addict!

I promised myself that I will never eat junk food again and drink fizzy sodas.
Once I go back to eating on bite, I will go back for more. Come on, who can eat one bit of a cookie and leave it in the cookie jar??? Nobody!! Why would I kid myself ???

I can’t allow myself to see me slip back in old habits. It’s not worth it, I feel imprisoned in my body, the layers of fat, hiding the real me. Feeling heavy every day, painful ankles cuz of the weight , social isolation and feeling ugly. It’s not worth it for that taste!

Just like any other drug, I have to completely stay away from it and I have to *accept* it.

Trust me , these passed couple of days has been hard with feelings of resentment and self pity. How life is unfair .... even flashbacks of eating junk. Thinking about junk food , even thoughts of sabotaging myself with eating “slider foods” I felt bad.

The gastric bypass was my last ditch effort , I can’t afford it to not succeed.

I hope you guys are doing well on you journey. I hope mine will be successful and stay successful for the rest of my life. Because that’s truly it, it’s a life long battle whether one has to admit or not.

When did you admit to yourself you have a food addiction? And what were the steps you took to overcome them?

Thank you for reading 🙏🏻

Have you ever thought about going to OA.

You're been too hard on yourself. You're in pain, and you're giving yourself an undeserved beating.

You may very well be addicted to food, but you could also be in mourning. I miss not being able to enjoy food. I can't eat enough of anything to feel as though I'm eating a worthwhile portion. Plus, nothing smells or tastes the same. I feel as though I'm missing out on something that brought me a good measure of pleasure.

I've lost weight with very little effort. True, I'm still not getting the Protein or Fluid intake required. For the first time in weeks, I'm probably consuming more than 250 calories. I'm pretty sure I've doubled my caloric intake, and I try to make sure that those calories are mainly protein.

I'm not prepared to swear off all junk food. Fortunately, I don't have a sweet tooth, but I do like plain potato chips. I think it's the salt I'm mainly interested in. I don't think it's terrible to have a few chips on occasion. I actually don't "want" more than a few either.

I go through periods of self-hate, too. You're not alone, E.S. If you'd like to talk privately, I'd be happy to talk to you. I'm sure several other people here would be happy to talk to you as well. Let us support you. Let others in and give you some comfort. You are a worthwhile person. I'm glad you posted your feelings. That's a healthy step in the right direction. (Keeping negative feelings to yourself is not healthy.)

6 hours ago, E.S said:

When did you admit to yourself you have a food addiction? And what were the steps you took to overcome them?

It was seven months post op. I was on vacation and there are these pastries that I can only get there. I told my wife that I would only eat one. I ended eating one each day and with a cup of coffee. Usually I would rationalize my behavior by saying I deserve to cheat while on vacation and I did lose a lot of weight. Instead, I felt that there was something wrong. Why am I acting like this? Didn't I go through WLS to get healthier? Why am I sabotaging my new found health? When I got back home, I sought a therapist who diagnosed me as a compulsive over eater. She also advised that I try Overeaters Anonymous. Today, with the help of my sponsor and others in my OA group I'm coping and working on my compulsion. It's a struggle everyday because I as a compulsive over eater can't eat like a regular person and I need to be mindful of it. I just celebrated my one year anniversary and realizing that my restriction isn't as restrictive as it was. I do have restriction but I cannot rely solely on it to maintain my weight loss. Luckily I have the support and tools OA gives me. I work my steps and take each day one day at a time. Don't be afraid to seek help if you feel you need it. Look up OA on the web for a meeting near you.

Edited by Danny Paul

24 minutes ago, Danny Paul said:

It was seven months post op. I was on vacation and there are these pastries that I can only get there. I told my wife that I would only eat one. I ended eating one each day and with a cup of coffee. Usually I would rationalize my behavior by saying I deserve to cheat while on vacation and I did lose a lot of weight. Instead, I felt that there was something wrong. Why am I acting like this? Didn't I go through WLS to get healthier? Why am I sabotaging my new found health? When I got back home, I sought a therapist who diagnosed me as a compulsive over eater. She also advised that I try Overeaters Anonymous. Today, with the help of my sponsor and others in my OA group I'm coping and working on my compulsion. It's a struggle everyday because I as a compulsive over eater can't eat like a regular person and I need to be mindful of it. I just celebrated my one year anniversary and realizing that my restriction isn't as restrictive as it was. I do have restriction but I cannot rely solely on it to maintain my weight loss. Luckily I have the support and tools OA gives me. I work my steps and take each day one day at a time. Don't be afraid to seek help if you feel you need it. Look up OA on the web for a meeting near you.

I’m also a compulsive over eater and I think I too need OA. Are there OA groups that don’t require its members to eat a specific diet? Obviously after gastric bypass there are already plenty of restrictions for me at this point (I’m 5 weeks post op). Any advice? I’m craving things and am depressed about not being able to eat without fearing getting sick.

Thanks!

Megan

7 hours ago, E.S said:

Hi everybody. I’m 18 days post op and so far I had one dumping episode because I ate to fast. But other than that, it’s pretty much smooth sailing so far (fingers crossed it continues to be) very thankful for that.

Today I realized more than ever I’m a food addict. And I admit today I’m a food addict. I was in denial. And I always didn’t understand why I went back to eating junk once I tasted it again after a long period of dieting. 🤔 and now today, I wholeheartedly admit I’m an addict!

I promised myself that I will never eat junk food again and drink fizzy sodas.
Once I go back to eating on bite, I will go back for more. Come on, who can eat one bit of a cookie and leave it in the cookie jar??? Nobody!! Why would I kid myself ???

I can’t allow myself to see me slip back in old habits. It’s not worth it, I feel imprisoned in my body, the layers of fat, hiding the real me. Feeling heavy every day, painful ankles cuz of the weight , social isolation and feeling ugly. It’s not worth it for that taste!

Just like any other drug, I have to completely stay away from it and I have to *accept* it.

Trust me , these passed couple of days has been hard with feelings of resentment and self pity. How life is unfair .... even flashbacks of eating junk. Thinking about junk food , even thoughts of sabotaging myself with eating “slider foods” I felt bad.

The gastric bypass was my last ditch effort , I can’t afford it to not succeed.

I hope you guys are doing well on you journey. I hope mine will be successful and stay successful for the rest of my life. Because that’s truly it, it’s a life long battle whether one has to admit or not.

Thank you for reading 🙏🏻

I’m in the same boat...Good to know I’m not alone!

8 hours ago, MN_Meg770 said:

Are there OA groups that don’t require its members to eat a specific diet?

OA isn't a diet group. It doesn't have a specific diet. No one knows that I had WLS except one person. She shared with the group that she had WLS. We text each other daily to offer support for our special needs. Nobody looks into your business. They know only what you tell them. It is a 12 step program patterned after Alcoholics Anonymous. If you go online, find a meeting near you and attend. You will find everyone helpful and supportive right out of the gate.

Working the steps has also had positive affects in other facets of my life. Overall, a very positive experience.

It’s the best decision of my life to admit I’m an addict , and to stay away from junk food and soda for the rest of my life. Lord knows what’s going to happen but I will do everything in my power to never touch it again. And god is my witness 🙏🏻🙏🏻

It’s the best decision of my life to admit I’m an addict , and to stay away from junk food and soda for the rest of my life. Lord knows what’s going to happen but I will do everything in my power to never touch it again. And god is my witness 🙏🏻🙏🏻