Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible that the insurance denies surgery because of a new knee injury? Somehow I injured my knee and I am a little hesitant to go to the orthopedic out of concern surgery could get denied. Maybe the insurance would say I could not excercise enough and so forth. Maybe I am overthinking this, would not be the first time 🤪

A colleague of mine had gastric sleeve in February because she had bad knees and could not have knee replacements until she lost the weight. She could barely walk at the time. I don't think they will deny you; you can stil do upper body exercise and some physical activity like walking with proper care for your you knee (brace, walker, crutches, etc).

Get your knee checked out. Don't think twice. I have a chronic ankle injury that I walked around on for over a year before getting treatment. It's affected my life horribly. For ten plus years. I've lost my mobility. I have to take morphine for the pain. It's not worth risking. If you qualify for WLS it can wait until your knee heals, if your doctor thinks you need to wait for it to heal. Do you think it's a serious injury? You didn't describe your injury except to mention that it was your knee.

An insurance company can't "cancel" your WLS for the reason you mentioned. That's a doctor's call. If your bariatric surgeon or your orthopedic surgeon thinks it's okay for you to proceed, then that's enough. What kind of insurance do you have? An H.M.O.? You seem to assign your insurance company a lot more power than they actually have.

I've had two full knee replacements pre-surgery. I had my gallbladder removed pre-surgery. My insurance company had no say in whether those conditions precluded me from having my weight-loss surgery.

Kindly describe your situation a bit more. (And, yes, I kinda think you're overthinking this. We all overthink things at times. :) )

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

We can tell them, can't we? I've told you about my bad ankle too, but did I tell you I walked 2 weeks plus on a broken,leg? Yeah lower leg, no way I could have walked with a broken femur, doubt anyone could, that is an exquisitely,painful injury, most people pass out , the others merely pray they could!

Thanks for all the advice. Missouri-Lee, I have pain in my knee that came out of nowhere and it is not getting any better. It is pain under and on the side of my kneecaps as well as behind my knee. I can not walk normal or stretch my leg without pain.
RapidFirePickle and Frustr8, you all made great points, thank you.

Is it warm, swollen? It could be a strain causing bursa inflammation or a baker's cyst, or other things - did you fall, bang it into a desk, step down hard from a high step? (I have bursa inflammation from stepping down wrong from a high curb - had 2 shots and it is much better). Does it hurt more when sitting for long periods, or swell more when standing? When you press hard on an area does it send a huge pain - that is likely the bursa. If not it could be arthritis from a past injury just wearing down joints now. Anyway get it checked out, it doesn't usually preclude surgery, unless it needs surgery first, but doubtful that is the case. Get checked.

Excellent Advice. Sosesue61. On this beautiful Saturday Morning in August I am awarding you a🏆 "Special" Trophy!

Only potential issue I see is if you get a steroid injection your need to talk to your surgeon to see when it will be safe to have surgery again. If you're scheduled for surgery within 2 weeks of a steroid injection the surgeon may want you to postpone surgery a bit. Steroids target inflammation so they could potentially affect your healing process. I've had to come off of some of my meds because of this.

Hope you're pain free soon!

08/11/2018 07:24 AM, Silke said:

Thanks for all the advice. Missouri-Lee, I have pain in my knee that came out of nowhere and it is not getting any better. It is pain under and on the side of my kneecaps as well as behind my knee. I can not walk normal or stretch my leg without pain.

RapidFirePickle and Frustr8, you all made great points, thank you.
If its any consolation I had the exact symptoms you last year. Came out of nowhere. Kneeling down, climbing stairs and going down, and bending were a painful. Hurt on the backside of my knee to the touch and when moving. Had some swelling. I’m no doctor but it could be a medial patellar retinaculum strain. I believe that’s the correct spelling of the diagnosis my orthopedist gave me. Some physical therapy and ice, ice, ice and it went away. I had to push it though and push through the fear of it hurting before it really got better. Nursing it made it worse. I thought back when I was being really lazy for a month or two, I think that’s what caused it. Hopefully that’s all your problem is but definitely get it checked out. I thought the worst but mri showed no issues except some early arthritis. 

On 08/12/2018 at 11:23, fatnasty2phatnasty said:

If its any consolation I had the exact symptoms you last year. Came out of nowhere. Kneeling down, climbing stairs and going down, and bending were a painful. Hurt on the backside of my knee to the touch and when moving. Had some swelling. I’m no doctor but it could be a medial patellar retinaculum strain. I believe that’s the correct spelling of the diagnosis my orthopedist gave me. Some physical therapy and ice, ice, ice and it went away. I had to push it though and push through the fear of it hurting before it really got better. Nursing it made it worse. I thought back when I was being really lazy for a month or two, I think that’s what caused it. Hopefully that’s all your problem is but definitely get it checked out. I thought the worst but mri showed no issues except some early arthritis. 
Sorry, it also hurt on the inside of my knee cap. Meaning right knee was sore on the left side. Some to the right as well occasionally.