Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with soft foods

Quick recap- I had the sleeve on 2/5/2014 and had tons of complications. I was in the hospital a lot, I had a PICC line and then a feeding tube. It was a rough 6 months. My stomach basically didn’t tolerate food or drink, so there was a lot of puking.
Fast forward to needing a revision to bypass on 6/26/2018 due to severe reflux and damage.
The surgery went great, I healed well, no nausea. I was rocking it.
I am doing great on full liquids but am failing miserably on soft foods. I don’t know if it’s psychological or what. I can do one cheese stick a day if I chew very well. I am okay with yogurt, just small amounts. I get sick on refried Beans, cottage cheese, eggs, etc. I just keep going back to full liquids.
Anyone else? Any advice?

Thank you, I will. I emailed my nut and I have an appointment with my surgeon next week. I have his cell phone number, but I feel this can wait. I am easily getting in 80 grams of Protein by shakes/protein Water and am very hydrated.

Just keep trying or you will develop (or possible have) food aversion. Try try try. And jeep your team in the loop! Safe journey, sorry for the struggles

It appears that nothing you eat is appetizing. eggs. Just the word makes me uneasy. Applesauce, cottage cheese. Ho-hum. I tried some tuna. Ate a small amount. I have a lot of salmon filets, but the smell is such a turn off. Most anything out of a can is blaghh. I can handle yogurt, too, but really... I can't just keep having yogurt.

How are you able to meet your Protein and Fluid requirements? I know you said by shakes, but how are you able to keep them down? Two drinks and I'm done.

I have an appointment with my doctor today. I plan to talk about my poor protein/fluid intake. The horrible cramping in my right leg.

How did this post turn into a rambling on about myself?!:(

I hesitate to say that your concern is psychological. When it comes to women, the first thing that mostly male health professionals seem to conclude is that it's all in our heads. We've even conditioned ourselves to believe that we're probably screwy in the head somehow.

When is your next doctor appointment? Is your bariatric team receptive to patient concerns or are you treated like an inconvenience? I sometimes dread calling because the reception staff up front (aka the gatekeepers) want to know why I'm calling, yet they don't know squat about even basic medical terminology. Go figure.<_<

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

I am getting over 80 grams of Protein and close to 80 oz of fluids. I do two shakes a day, a Premier Protein Water, and then Propel. I have no concerns about nutrition or dehydration. I think because I had the sleeve in 2014, I am just used to the fake sweet flavor and sometimes odd consistency of protein water.
I see my surgeon Friday morning and will also talk to the nutritionist. It is a great office, and are quick to get back with me. My surgeon is still nervous about me, because of how many complications I had in 2014, so he checks in with me frequently and is on top of any concern I have.
I also don’t like the smell of tuna or canned fish. I do have shrimp but I’m worried they would be harder to get down since they are a little tougher and bigger.
I will just keep trying things, going slow, taking one bite, and using the nausea meds as needed.

Just keep trying different things and hopefully something will work eventually. But be careful with shrimp - that made me so sick when I had it right at first and even now I can't eat very much of it. I hated canned anything (tuna, fish, chicken) but I was able to just buy the real stuff and cook it with a lot of liquid and had no problems. Also try out different temperatures and textures. I know some plans really restrict carbs - but if yours allows it I did pretty well with mashed potatoes and cream of wheat when I first started soft foods. I also ate the laughing cow cheese - either by itself or melted in with scrambled eggs. Good luck!

Thank you! My doctor has me back on full liquids for two more weeks. He then wants me to do one teaspoon of food when I try again, since my pouch is smaller due to it being a revision.
If that doesn’t work, I will have an endoscopy and he will use the balloon to open up the pathway a bit.