Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not tolerating chewable vitamins

Hi all. 15 days post op and not tolerating my chewables. Coming right up. Can someone recommend a good multi and good Calcium with d that I can swallow? I don’t have trouble swallowing pills. Bought these chewables before surgery. Thanks.

52 minutes ago, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

Hi all. 15 days post op and not tolerating my chewables. Coming right up. Can someone recommend a good multi and good Calcium with d that I can swallow? I don’t have trouble swallowing pills. Bought these chewables before surgery. Thanks.

I've been using the Patches and my blood work has come back good. I know folks look down on the patches because there is a glaring lack of clinical studies... but I was lucky enough to talk my surgeon into allowing me to test them out. And I'm please to say that, for me anyway, they work great. No need to swallow anything. I put 3 different patches on in the morning, leave them on for at least 8 hours... and that's it.

3 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

I've been using the Patches and my blood work has come back good. I know folks look down on the Patches because there is a glaring lack of clinical studies... but I was lucky enough to talk my surgeon into allowing me to test them out. And I'm please to say that, for me anyway, they work great. No need to swallow anything. I put 3 different patches on in the morning, leave them on for at least 8 hours... and that's it.

Hi matt. I will look into the patches. I have to get my Vitamins in. Thanks for the reply.

Just be on notice some Vitamin deficiencies can take a few years to develop and you are only a few months out from bypass. A huge reason Patches are not recommended is lack of evidence of efficacy.

The weight of a Vitamin Patch is far less than the weight of the Vitamins and minerals they are stating are on the patch. There does seem to be evidence that the molecules of these vitamins and minerals may be too large to be passed through the skin transdermally.

It will be interesting to see if these patches actually do work. I do not enjoy my vitamins either and would like to switch to the patches but was advised by my surgical team not to.

I take Whole food prenatal. My stomach does not tolerate many Vitamins, but these are fine

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KKKMBQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71CLlP2bQLL._SY679_.jpg.86b7adc3b1d431693a2d1a226e8a33fc.jpgWF.jpg.e67893e8f5377da78b08995a0591f5f6.jpg

I also agree with @KimTriesRNY about vitamin patches.

30 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I take Whole food prenatal. My stomach does not tolerate many Vitamins, but these are fine

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KKKMBQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71CLlP2bQLL._SY679_.jpg.86b7adc3b1d431693a2d1a226e8a33fc.jpg WF.jpg.e67893e8f5377da78b08995a0591f5f6.jpg

I also agree with @KimTriesRNY about vitamin patches.

Thank you. I will try these.

12 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Just be on notice some Vitamin deficiencies can take a few years to develop and you are only a few months out from bypass. A huge reason Patches are not recommended is lack of evidence of efficacy.

The weight of a Vitamin Patch is far less than the weight of the Vitamins and minerals they are stating are on the patch. There does seem to be evidence that the molecules of these Vitamins and minerals may be too large to be passed through the skin transdermally.

It will be interesting to see if these Patches actually do work. I do not enjoy my vitamins either and would like to switch to the patches but was advised by my surgical team not to.

This is why I am doing my own clinical trial with my surgeon and medical team. And going on 5 months of using these now, and the ONLY lab that came in low was Vitamin D, but living in the North East... that's expected. So, all the oddities and weirdness aside, these *are* working.

1 hour ago, Matt Z said:

This is why I am doing my own clinical trial with my surgeon and medical team. And going on 5 months of using these now, and the ONLY lab that came in low was Vitamin D, but living in the North East... that's expected. So, all the oddities and weirdness aside, these *are* working.

You are four months out from bypass surgery. Some deficiencies can and do take years to develop as our bodies do have natural reserves of Vitamins and minerals and you are not unique in this aspect.

I am not trying to be argumentative but saying something is working after four months is misleading. Get back to us in 3 years or so and then the proof will be in the pudding.

36 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

You are four months out from bypass surgery. Some deficiencies can and do take years to develop as our bodies do have natural reserves of Vitamins and minerals and you are not unique in this aspect.

I am not trying to be argumentative but saying something is working after four months is misleading. Get back to us in 3 years or so and then the proof will be in the pudding.

Well, I'm not sure what your profession is, but when my surgeon has labs drawn and then tells me that the levels she is seeing show that the Patches are working... I'm going to take her word for it. Not trying to be argumentative, but... I'll take the professionals word for it.

17 hours ago, Matt Z said:

but I was lucky enough to talk my surgeon into allowing me to test them out.

In your own words you are testing them out.

Its been four months.

That’s hardly long enough to declare something is working long term is the point.

We can simply agree to disagree on this topic.

@Matt Z

You know there can't be a clinical trial of one though?

You say that the blood test show that they are working, but in another thread I asked what your blood test included, and you responded with this:

• +TRANSFERRIN SATURATION
• CBC W/ AUTO DIFFERENTIAL
• BILIRUBIN TOTAL
• CHOLESTEROL TOTAL
• GLUCOSE FASTING
• IRON
• TIBC
Protein TOTAL
• ALT
• AST
• TRIGLYCERIDES
• BUN
• CALCIUM
Vitamin B1
• PREALBUMIN
• FERRITIN
• CREATININE LEVEL, SERUM
• VITAMIN B12
• FOLATE
• HEMOGLOBIN A1C
Vitamin D 25 HYDROXY
• LACTATE DEHYDROGENASE
• MAGNESIUM
• BILIRUBIN DIRECT
• ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE
• ALBUMIN

So your blood tests are really only testing, Iron, Calcium, B1, B12, Folate, D & Magnesium. You are showing deficient in D. Your body can store Iron, Calcium, B12 & Magnesium (D as well) to varying degrees.

If you want to use the Patches, and think they work for you, go for it.

But I don't agree with you advocating these patches by saying your blood tests are showing they are working. Your blood panels are far from complete. Even if they were it is far too early to be able to declare any definitive conclusions from them.

Because I had trouble tolerating everything, my doctor put me on completely dissolvable children's Vitamins, and I simply took twice the recommended dose. It worked just fine for me, I simply mixed them into my drink!

2 minutes ago, BarrySue said:

Because I had trouble tolerating everything, my doctor put me on completely dissolvable children's Vitamins, and I simply took twice the recommended dose. It worked just fine for me, I simply mixed them into my drink!

Hi there. Ok. Another option. Discussing with my md today.

I too tried several chewables and found their sweetness almost sickening. liquids were even worse for me.

Two recommendations on Complete Multivitamin in capsules: These can both be gotten with or without Iron, depending on what you want.

Celebrate Bariatric Multivitamin requires 3 capsules a day and then the ProCare Health Bariatric Multivitamins that come in a single capsule per day.

As to Calcium with Vitamin D, look at the Life Extension calcium citrate with Vitamin D3 in capsule form. I have found that soft chews for calcium/vitD from both Celebrate and ProCare Health to be quite good but more expensive. I especially like the caramel from Procare to be my favorite. So I take a mix of the capsules and soft chews for some variety.