Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grieving for clothes?!

I am finding myself feeling bad about the clothes I can't or won't be able to wear anymore... I feel kind of sad about a few pieces I really like, and I'm thinking about how much all the clothes cost when I bought them and how much it will cost to replace them. I know this is a good problem to have, but I also know these weird thoughts contributed to my regaining weight I lost in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? How have you dealt with it? Thanks for any advice!

I know the feeling. I recently cleaned out 95% of my closet. I'v even given away clothes that I had to buy as I have been losing, so "new" clothes. I gave away favorites. I gave away clothes I only wore once because they were for special occasions. I gave away my "pretty bras", that got far too little use. I gave away 10 winter coats. My closet has 10x's the number of of empty hangers vs. hangers being used. I've had to buy quite a bit of new clothes, even though I'm still losing, because I have to look professional. The trash bags full of clothes literally cost me tens of thousands of dollars.

So, yeah, I have definitely grieved. But it is balanced by how much I love they way I look in my new clothes. How exciting it is to get out of plus sizes. How much more confident I feel when I'm wearing my new clothes.

It is mid-summer and my clothes are looking frumpy, even the pre-pregnancy ones!

This is happy and sad. I don't want to buy a bunch of new stuff until fall. But it will have to happen. Since my body is shrinking my clothes hang on me more, which means the neck lines are lower and I have noticed a few times when my t*ts were hanging out too much. 😲

Meh, was really hoping to wait until fall. . . . . .

I feel like we ought to have a swap site for Bariatric patients. I sell on poshmark but I’d almost rather swap larger sizes for the smaller sizes I need. Half my stuff still has tags because I skip sizes (or they’ve been worn once). 😄

28 minutes ago, Screwballski said:

I feel like we ought to have a swap sight for Bariatric patients. I sell on poshmark but I’d almost rather swap larger sizes for the smaller sizes I need. Half my stuff still has tags because I skip sizes (or they’ve been worn once). 😄

That is actually an amazing thought!!!

I've heard about some bariatric surgeon's offices maintaining a closet of clothes donated by people as they loose, so people can leave some of their larger sizes for others on their way down, and use smaller sizes others have donated.

This is so real for me. I love clothes and while I am super excited about being able to populate a whole new wardrobe, I am also really sad about the clothes I am going to be shrinking out of. I have a plan in place that makes me feel a little better. 1) I have kept a couple special items that I am going to take to a seamstress when my weight stabilizes, and see what can be done with them. 2) I have other friends who are similar in size, so I am slowly pulling items as they become too big and I am handing them to those friends. 3) At some point I will have a raid my closet party and friends can come and take anything that doesn't fit me anymore. 4) Everything else after that point will be donated to something useful.

@cara lea, I am awarding you a trophy for your answer, I don't always do that but I suspect you are a truly special person.😛

Don't throw away/give away clothes too fast. I have a wonderful seamstress that can make alterations (up to a point) which I'm hoping will prevent me from having to ditch my clothes quite as fast. Check in your communities...I guarantee there is someone who can make alterations in your clothes for a FRACTION of what it will cost to buy new.

10 minutes ago, DTMEDIC said:

Don't throw away/give away clothes too fast. I have a wonderful seamstress that can make alterations (up to a point) which I'm hoping will prevent me from having to ditch my clothes quite as fast. Check in your communities...I guarantee there is someone who can make alterations in your clothes for a FRACTION of what it will cost to buy new.

So true, my sister-n-law already told me not to throw my clothes away after I have surgery and start losing, she will alter them for me...she is an awesome seamstress!!

I can do simple alterations (taking in a seam here etc) but a true seamstress can work wonders in correcting how your clothes fit. I remember Clinton Kelly on "What Not to Wear" saying that EVERY person needs to have is a good tailor/seamstress to make even your brand new clothes fit well. Was just talking to a good friend that has lost 160 lbs and has problems getting pants to fit in the thighs due to excess skin...just told him to find a good tailor and then saw the original post.

58 minutes ago, wanda247 said:

So true, my sister-n-law already told me not to throw my clothes away after I have surgery and start losing, she will alter them for me...she is an awesome seamstress!!

Edited by DTMEDIC

43 minutes ago, DTMEDIC said:

I can do simple alterations (taking in a seam here etc) but a true seamstress can work wonders in correcting how your clothes fit. I remember Clinton Kelly on "What Not to Wear" saying that EVERY person needs to have is a good tailor/seamstress to make even your brand new clothes fit well. Was just talking to a good friend that has lost 160 lbs and has problems getting pants to fit in the thighs due to excess skin...just told him to find a good tailor and then saw the original post.

Love that show!!

4 hours ago, DTMEDIC said:

This probably depends on the area. The tailor shops near me are very expensive. I can get a quick hem for cheap at my dry cleaner. But anything requiring real skill is costly. I'm sure there are seamstresses that work from home that would be a less expensive option, but that is obviously harder to find..

I've thought about this as well. I really like the mention above about one of the surgical offices keeping a closet of donated clothes..what and excellent idea! I think I will mention this at my next appointment.

I'm lucky in that I still have drawers full of clothes that I kept form the journey up..hoping I will be able to use them on the journey down! Might be a bit out of style, but who cares at this point. My current wardrobe consists of 4 shirts and 2 pairs of pants..sad really..but I won't grieve leaving them behind!

Haven't had my surgery yet but it looks like either December or January..so it's coming.