Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I am in the pre op phase for vsg. I had my blood work and EKG done a couple weeks ago and was told that my EKG was "abnormal" so I was referred to a cardiologist for clearance.

I have to be honest I am freaking out. When someone says your heart is abnormal that isn't the best news.

I would consider myself to have white coat syndrome. When I enter the hospital my heart pounds and I get severe anxiety. I am wondering if this may have thrown the test off.

I have never had any symptoms of heart issues I don't think.

Just need someone to talk to, maybe someone has had a similar experience and can help ease my mind.

I am seeing a cardiologist tomorrow morning after waiting 3 weeks but my nerves are at an all time high.

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

Edited by dreamingofasleeve

It could be any number of things that fall outside of the normal range, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's something harmful. They have to check out anything that is not in the normal range to make sure that going through surgery won't be a problem. I think that if it was something bad, you would have been brought back in immediately rather than waiting for an appointment a couple weeks down the road. I only say that to ease your mind, I'm not trying to be dismissive at all, I know how it is to be told that something isn't right and have to wait for the next test to figure out what's going on. If it's really making you anxious, you can call and request to speak to the doctor who referred you for the consult and ask what it is they saw.

It could be any number of things that fall outside of the normal range, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's something harmful. They have to check out anything that is not in the normal range to make sure that going through surgery won't be a problem. I think that if it was something bad, you would have been brought back in immediately rather than waiting for an appointment a couple weeks down the road. I only say that to ease your mind, I'm not trying to be dismissive at all, I know how it is to be told that something isn't right and have to wait for the next test to figure out what's going on. If it's really making you anxious, you can call and request to speak to the doctor who referred you for the consult and ask what it is they saw.
Right, that is totally what I am thinking too. But the fear of the unknown is terrifying.
My husband keeps reminding me that even if something is wrong I need to get it fixed. But I'm just scared. I have major anxiety about health issues [emoji20]
I sure hope it isn't something bad and they made me wait forever haha! I don't think your being dismissive!
I tried to call and the nurse had no clue what I was asking and I never got a call back from the surgeon who requested it. So... Just time to wait I guess.
Must not be too bad if they arnt concerned... I hope.

Abnormal ekgs happen all the time.

It could have been many things like where the stickers were placed or amount of tissue over your heart (nice way of saying it's the boobs). An ekg is a very simple picture of electrical activity, just a piece of the picture when it comes to your heart.

They just have to check all of the boxes for preop clearance. I'm not trying to be dismissive either, just keep working through the process.

Please get it checked out, try calling the cardiologist yourself if necessary. It is better to find out it is nothing than to have it be the edge of the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.
I'm afraid I may over react but it is justified. I once had a son, well actually 3 children, but one I want to discuss. Seemed the healthiest of all my kids, seldom sick, good looking, had a job he loved, a wonderful guy in every way. But he had undiagnosed cardiac problems,no one guessed. Went into our local hospital with chest pain, wasn't all that bad , even walked in after being transported by squad. 17 hours later he was dead, he had an aortic aneurysm that dissected,the larger blood vessel exploded and he died. He was 31 years old and I loved him so. No chance to say goodbye, no chance to say I Love You although I had told him that often through his life. And my arms still ache to hold him, granted he was an adult but we hugged often. And after 10 years , it still hurts. If I could have exchanged my life for his I would have done it in a millisecond.
Please get it checked out. Those that love you as well as the world still need you here!!
Much love and tears💦 your friend. Frustr8

17 minutes ago, Sleeved36 said:

Abnormal ekgs happen all the time.

It could have been many things like where the stickers were placed or amount of tissue over your heart (nice way of saying it's the boobs). An ekg is a very simple picture of electrical activity, just a piece of the picture when it comes to your heart.

They just have to check all of the boxes for preop clearance. I'm not trying to be dismissive either, just keep working through the process.

Yeah i guess i am just looking for piece of mind. i tend to overthink and have worst case scenario brain. It really sucks.

Your not being dismissive at all! i appreciate the positive responses it makes me feel better :)

9 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Please get it checked out, try calling the cardiologist yourself if necessary. It is better to find out it is nothing than to have it be the edge of the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.
I'm afraid I may over react but it is justified. I once had a son, well actually 3 children, but one I want to discuss. Seemed the healthiest of all my kids, seldom sick, good looking, had a job he loved, a wonderful guy in every way. But he had undiagnosed cardiac problems,no one guessed. Went into our local hospital with chest pain, wasn't all that bad , even walked in after being transported by squad. 17 hours later he was dead, he had an aortic aneurysm that dissected,the larger blood vessel exploded and he died. He was 31 years old and I loved him so. No chance to say goodbye, no chance to say I Love You although I had told him that often through his life. And my arms still ache to hold him, granted he was an adult but we hugged often. And after 10 years , it still hurts. If I could have exchanged my life for his I would have done it in a millisecond.
Please get it checked out. Those that love you as well as the world still need you here!!
Much love and tears💦 your friend. Frustr8

oh my gosh i am so sorry. I cannot even imagine, well heres to hoping mine is not something like that.

I have an appointment tomorrow at 8am no worries there i am 100% getting it checked. Its just scary.

My ekg was abnormal. I was told my heart was too slow???? The nurse said it was slow like an athlete. Since I am not anything like an athlete I just had to think of some witty remark. I said quite proudly that I had been lifting 300 lbs every minute of every day for a long time and perhaps that was rather "athlete" of me! But in all seriousness, I did have to also go for a cardiac clearance and there were no problems whatsoever. Lots of simple things can make it abnormal. Try not to panic....let them be extra cautious for your sake. I'm sure it will be fine and if it isn't at least it's being found out now and not in an emergency room. You'll do good, keep your chin up.

2 minutes ago, BurBur said:

My ekg was abnormal. I was told my heart was too slow???? The nurse said it was slow like an athlete. Since I am not anything like an athlete I just had to think of some witty remark. I said quite proudly that I had been lifting 300 lbs every minute of every day for a long time and perhaps that was rather "athlete" of me! But in all seriousness, I did have to also go for a cardiac clearance and there were no problems whatsoever. Lots of simple things can make it abnormal. Try not to panic....let them be extra cautious for your sake. I'm sure it will be fine and if it isn't at least it's being found out now and not in an emergency room. You'll do good, keep your chin up.

Thank you so much! According to my fit bit i also have a slow resting heart rate (58)... who knows how accurate that actually is though.

Although i would find it hard to believe that it would be slow during the EKG cause of my nerves!

I am trying my hardest to not worry! All of the advice and kind words really help! I love this community.

I am glad to hear everything with yours was fine! I've also been lifting a lot of weight most of my life ;D i must be an athlete!

There is such a thing as Bradycardia(slow heart rate) my mama had that. Lived to a month short of 87, pretty good for having it since her teen years.

Wishing you the best tomorrow. Let us know how you made out. I'm sure it's probably nothing but I know how you feel. I'm a worst scenario person too

Wishing you the best tomorrow. Let us know how you made out. I'm sure it's probably nothing but I know how you feel. I'm a worst scenario person too
Thank you so much! Worst case scenario brain isn't fun [emoji20]
I will!

Well guys, the cardiologist did an ekg and said i do have a variant in my heart rhythm but it is completely normal especially for younger people (im 27).

Because i haven't had any symptoms or anything she didn't require any other testing and said i was fine!

Oh yay! I'm so glad for you. Usually the cardiac clearance is the last step. You must be getting very close to securing a date!

Glad everything worked out... :1310_thumbsup_tone1: