Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie--Surgery August 2nd

First of all, I have to thank everyone here. I've been lurking the past 2 weeks, looking for answers and have discovered what a phenomenal informational/support system you are.

I'm having gastric sleeve/hiatal hernia repair on August 2nd. My insurance won't cover the sleeve, so I'm self-pay, but the hernia repair is covered 100%, so it's not too bad. Since I am self-pay, I've had a short journey of this. My initial visit was late June. I haven't had to jump through as many hoops. Just EGD, seminar, 1 dietician visit and psych eval. I met with my surgeon this past Wednesday, and could have scheduled as early as July 26th, but we are on baby watch for my 4th granddaughter and I wanted to be able to snuggle her like a grandma should, so I scheduled for Aug. 2. (Good thing. We found out the next day that if she doesn't arrive before July 26, she will be cesarean that day. Glad I didn't schedule that day after all.)

I will be 59 in a few weeks and have battled my weight since my first year in college. I now have to deal with complications from diabetes. I'm on an outrageous amount of insulin (daily and fast acting) and take a weekly injection also. I suffer from neuropathy that now not only affects my hands and feet, but my intestines. My list goes on and on with the usual sleep apnea, joint pain, asthma... basically everything on the checklist to see if surgery is right for you. My doctors all assure me that all of this will improve. I may still have to take some insulin since I've been on it so long, but hey, I can do that. If I can just keep the neuropathy from progressing so quickly, this becomes a win for me. (and everyone around me who sees what I go through with the pain.) Being given the chance to see my 4 granddaughters grow up is beyond words.

I've lost 40 pounds on my own as of this week. It's gotten easier to stick to my diet knowing I've made this decision. I have a wonderful support group with my family and friends. I was hesitant to tell anyone, but they were all very excited for me and have been awesome!

I begin the liquid diet on Thursday, then surgery the following Thursday... So, here I go!!!

Hello!!

My name is Sabrina and I have a gastric sleeve scheduled for August 1st in Dallas, TX, and I am so excited. I am also self pay. I am so happy ive chosen this journey and I know you will love your end results. I a m not doing so well with my pre op diet. I am allowed to eat 1- 4 oz of meat with veggies once a day. I have actually not really been eating, when I do its fast food. We are unpacking so the fast food is easy to grab. How have you stuck to your pre op diet?

I have 10 days left until surgery and I don't feel it is too late to get on my strict pre op diet. How have you done it?

Who is your surgeon?

Hi Sabrina! I've already been on a restricted diet for a while due to my diabetes being so out of control, so I've been able to continue with it. I'm only required to do 1 week of liquid diet starting on the 26th. We don't eat out much, so it's been easy. Unfortunately, I have friends with good intentions who all want to take me out for "those things I won't be able to eat." Ha! joke's on them. I chose Olive Garden where they already fix my salad to my request. I'll have my minestrone Soup with salad (one bowl of each) as usual and let them enjoy their Pasta and breadsticks. I really will miss my salads, though.

I've spent the afternoon making sure I have everything I need or putting it on my grocery list. This is really getting real isn't it??? :53_cold_sweat:

Dr. Shukla is my surgeon.

Did you just move? I can see where it would be difficult to stick with any routine. Much less a change in diet. Good luck!

Yes, it is getting real, finally sinking in. Im not nervous just anxious for the future and how life will be after. I actually live in Baton Rouge, LA, Dr. Nicholson was referred to me, and I have done a lot of research. So My husband and I will sort of make It into a little road trip driving up there to Dallas. We are staying at a BnB and I am so ready.

How is your support system for the surgery? Family, spouse, kids, etc?

I was surprised at how supportive everyone has been. I'm not sure what I expected, but everyone has watched me go through so much with my health lately that they are all excited for me. Everyone has been so positive. My son told me yesterday that he'll take over the cooking of the family dinners at his house so I don't have to worry about it or be around the cooking. His family lives down the street, so they are here most nights for dinner. He's just making sure Dad gets fed!

I'm lucky that my general surgeon is also a bariatric surgeon, so I'll be only minutes from home. He removed my thyroid last fall. I am very comfortable with him.

Hi Newbies. My name is Frustr8, I live in Central Ohio, and imanewme I'm old enough to be your aunt or big sister and Sabrina easily your grandmother. I ha e been on my journey towards Bariatric Surgery for 3 years, it will be over that when my surgery finally takes place. On September 5th I will have a RnY bypass at Ohio State University Hospital with Bradley J Needleman MD and i am not self-pay like you ladies. Since I am 72, my primary is Medicare, my secondary Medicaid, really not too many hoops to jump through. See I went through one bariatric facility's program not once but twice, quite a story about that! When the surgeons there refused to do my surgery, pretty unethical, I think, I switched to a program at a better hospital, as it turns out a State University with a wonderful, skilled surgeon I have no trouble trusting with my life. So when you ladies are starting on your post- surgery life I will be starting my my pre surgery diet. Ohio State gave me my choice of 2, 3, or 4 weeks, 2 is minimum they mandate, of course they prefer 4 weeks, you heal smoother, quicker and your surgery will be easier for all concerned. Well,at my age, and much,as I hate to admit,it, I am older to be seeking surgery. I want things as smooth as I can make them.Although I am body-wise in pretty good shape, my PCP says I am 45 in a 72 year old shell, I may not bounce back as quick as a 20-30 year old. I probably am one of the older patients they have done. I am lucky in Dr Needleman, many facilities turn you down if you are above 60, some if you are above 70, but,I'm still going forward with a strong will and commitment and believe I can succeed. So September 5th 2018 at 7 AM. E.D.T. is my REBIRTHDA

oops REBIRTHDAY, this phone has a mind of its own & posts when it feels like it .
Imanewme fast food is not good for you as a pre surgery patient. Ditch Buns fries and breading. Bunless Arbys Roast beef might be okay, try Steamfesh veggies in the microwave.
Let me tell you my pre surgery diet. 4 high Protein Shakes, my choice as long as they are above 15 gm Protein and low carb, 2 snacks: here my choice is small apple, small orange, banana or 3/4 cup berries. And then my dinner is a 300 calorie low carb frozen dinner, and I have a choice of many brands or comparable home cooked, no potatoes corn or peas. And all the Water and unsweetened decaffeinated drinks my little ❤ kidneys and stomach can stand. Keep up my Vitamins and all is lovely . So when you 2 are having your surgeries I will be starting on my 4 weeks of dietary purgatory. Can I do it? Think so, but I may not be a happy camper, I'll be hangry, that's a combine of hungry and angry, headaches , tearful and not much fun to be around. And even the weather will change, you know how many tornadoes start up in Oklahoma, well there is one gonna be brewing in Ohio and I may be as bad a cyclone as a Texas Twister. And in the words of. your stalemate Justin Wilson from Louisiana, I gar- un- tee this!
But I will soldier on and get through this, everybody who does a diet does. I have a bari-pal on here,kinda lorded it over me " Ha ha Frustr8, I DON T HAVE TO DO A PREDIET" Karma circled around and bit her in the rump. Her doctor made her do 7 weeks after of clear and murky liquids before she ever got soft pureed solids. Now who's laughing?
Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I've been active,on Bariatric Pal for 8 months done a lot of study, if I don't have an answer someone else,on BP will. And welcome both of you, we are thrilled to have you!😛👍🌈

thanks for the advice, I will definitely throw out the fast food. Surgery is 9 days away omg. The advice and stories told on here helps so much. I will be documenting every bit if my journey. I'm not looking forward to the gas pain, that's the only thing I am worried about, ugh. But this will be a new me, As Frust8 has said, it will be a rebirth in a sense. I'm ready to not get winded walking up my stairs, or walking in a grocery store. I stopped going to the mall because it entails so much walking. I used to enjoy running, but I now even dread walking. This is the tool that I need to help.

What issues have you guys developed because of your weight or any connection with weight gain?

-I have PCOS

-insulin resistance

- infertility

-anxiety

-depression

- I've developed a lot of skin allergies

- moodiness

- chronic back pain

- plantar facisitis, I work in a hospital so I'm always on the move and on my feet. This irritates my tendons even more plus all the weight gained.

- and all i wear is sweat pants and t shirts. It's the only thing that fits me comfortably.

I went dress shopping for an event and I picked 3 dresses to try on, they were 2X and 3X. My husband waited while I tried them on I tried the first one, I couldn't fit my arms through at all, second dress. I could barely pull down past my neck, the third dress I didn't attempt to try on. So I walked out that dressing room feeling defeated and disgusting because I used to be in a 8/10.

As I walked out my husband asked what was wrong, they didnt fot or you dont like them? I told him and as we are walking to check out, I began crying, no stop. Defeated, I need this. I'm not myself, I want to enjoy life again.