Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2017 Study: "Bariatric surgery patients vulnerable to opioid dependence"

Nearly 9 percent of bariatric surgical patients who did not take opioid pain medications until their weight-loss operation, or the month before it, report that they are still using prescription opioids one year postoperatively, according to the results of a Michigan study, presented at the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress 2017.

http://www.bariatricnews.net/?q=news/112870/bariatric-surgery-patients-vulnerable-opioid-dependence

I was an opioid (morphine) pain patient before my gastric bypass surgery, btw.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

The article is not very informative and only one survey...I find the findings odd. How would you prescreen for that? Considering there was no prior abuse, it would be a near impossibility to predict who would develop a dependency. I think if the preop has severe pain from obesity related joint issues that addressing pain management closer would help find the correct medication - whatever that ends up being. Some opiod use for pain management is very necessary. A friend has severe pain and depression from botched TKR in both knees, and would not function at all without the hydrocodone. That to me is NOT opiod abuse but pain management.

Yikes. That's a mess.

Opioids as part of a pain management plan should be used in cases of moderate to severe pain, and for as long as needed if that condition turns chronic. I have long stopped feeling ashamed for needing opioids to manage my pain. I would be unable to walk or get through my day if my pain wasn't knocked down to some degree. There is no shame in opioid dependence for legitimate pain. I'm addicted to pain relief and the opportunity to have a quality of everyday life without pain.

I think the study was about people who started with an opioid prescription but continued taking opioids long after their post-op pain ended. Taking opioids beyond that point is the concern. Believe me, people who take opioids for chronic pain, don't experience a "high", we're just grateful that our medication has taken the edge off the pain. My pain is never absent, and often even my morphine or oxycodone can't touch it, but it makes the pain almost tolerable.

For almost two years, my primary and I tried every conceivable alternative to opioids. I suffered a lot during those early times. It took my pharmacist daughter to finally convince me that I needed something stronger, something that could best compete with my pain.

Your friend's pain management plan most certainly required the use of opioids and would in no way be considered "abuse". I don't think this study intends to deprive anyone of their valid use... only their continued use if the reason for the medication ceases. How is your friend doing now? Did physical therapy help with her healing? It's a tough road for a while, I know. I had both knees replaced (three months apart), but, fortunately, for me, all went well. I wish for your friend a happy TKR ending, too.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Thanks @Missouri-Lee's Summit no she still has a cane, and cannot do hours of walking even with that and meds. A surgeon cut one leg shorter than the other, made a mess even a another surgeon could not completely make it right....horrible. There are more details but that is enough of an idea for consideration.

Cut one leg shorter than the other? This sounds like pegleg surgery done on a pirate ship. How truly tragic. Did she sue the first doctor?