Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Everyone! I have started blogging about my weight loss surgery journey. The hardest thing about preparing for surgery, for me, has been the mental preparation for social situations. While I have no problem discussing the surgery with my family and friends, it's acquaintances, neighbors, employers, clients, etc that I worry about. This isn't an invisible surgery. People are going to know that something is going on when I very quickly lose half my body weight! And they are going to have questions and comments. They are probably going to be well-meaning---I think most people are very well intentioned. But I am still trying to prepare for how to respond.

I'm afraid of people judging me for having the surgery. This surgery is going to result in my size very quickly shrinking and I'm afraid of what people will say or ask. I've never existed in the world as a person with a healthy weight. I don't know what that is going to be like socially. I'm also afraid that everyone is going to be celebrating the "new me" and being so nice to me that it is only going to make me that much MORE aware of the discrimination that overweight people experience everyday. I'm doing this for my health but I know I'm going to be super sensitive to preferential treatment as a new-found skinny person. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, I am processing all this on my blog and I wanted to share the link with you guys in case you find my ramblings helpful. I am just getting started! My surgery date is August 1st! Here's the link to my blog: www.nourishingheather.com

Here's a recent post:

Before Surgery Photos

It’s only sixteen days (yes, I’m counting!) until my bariatric surgery date. The surgery I will be having is called a sleeve gastrectomy. It is an inpatient, laparoscopic surgery. My surgeon will make five very small incisions on my abdominal area and use very small instruments to remove about 85% of my stomach. I have done a TON of preparation for this surgery and am feeling very excited to finally be able to use this tool for weight loss!

One of the requirements of my surgery center is having preoperative photographs taken by their staff photographer. Photographs are also taken postoperatively for comparison. These photographs are another tool, along with things like weighing oneself and taking body measurements, that help weight loss surgery patients see their progress.

I absolutely loved my photographer. Her name was Marsha and she was an absolute joy to work with! Her studio was clean and comfortable. She was efficient and kind. I enjoyed interacting with her and I know she is rooting for my success!

She sent me the photos a few days ago and I am so stoked to share them with you all. I am smiling in these photos because I am proud of myself! I am proud of the work I have done over the last year to qualify for surgery. I’m also a pretty joyful person in general, so smiling in photos is just part of being me! I’m also wearing my favorite flowery leggings, so that’s probably part of it!

Calling plus-size and fat women brave for doing things smaller-sized people do is belittling and insulting. It suggests that living in our bodies is an extraordinary feat, and we’re somehow heroes for…what?

-Jenny Trout, https://www.self.com/story/fat-bikini-brave

Now, I know that there are people out there who absolutely do not want to see fat bodies. Some don’t want fat people to exist and they certainly don’t want to see us in only a sports bra and spandex. I’m going to trust that those folks have found some other blog to read, because here at Nourishing Heather we aren’t going to apologize for existing. And we’re going to Celebrate every bit of our journey, not only the glamorous bits!

Step-Outin-Style.png?resize=760%2C608&ss

Don’t those leggings just scream summer! I love them! I’m gonna sign off to make some supper. Tonight I’m whipping up a frittata and plan to devour the last of the raspberries that DH’s mom kindly brought over to us. DH is traveling for work this week and then headed directly to a gather with his brother this weekend so I’m dining solo this week. Whenever I’m cooking for just myself it’s basically the egg show, you know? Starting this Wednesday, I’ll be following my two week preoperative eating plan and it will be nice to be able to get adjusted to that without anyone else in the kitchen. Though I do miss my DH.

Be Well,

Untitled-design.png?resize=93%2C93&ssl=1

Go Heather!

1 hour ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Go Heather!

Thanks! Any words of wisdom! Your stats look great! Congrats on your success!