Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal Training - When to go?

How early would you start personal training (assuming you can afford it)? Pros? Cons?

My surgeon released me week 2 to begin working out and weight training. He also spoke to me during that appointment about how big of a gift the first year really is, and encouraged me to do everything I can to follow my diet, drink my Water, and keep up with my exercise. He said I should not even focus on my weight so much as the other three. Everyone's plan and surgeon are different, as far as when you are released. I was honestly stunned that I was not made to wait longer.

I had a few gym memberships throughout the years, but never anything consistent and I mostly just stuck to the treadmill and the few machines I could figure out myself. Basically, I did not have any idea what I was doing or if I was doing it right. I left the Surgeon's office the day he released me and went to my chosen gym. I chose a gym affiliated with my local hospital which focuses on whole body wellness. They have the gym, but they also have a spa, cooking classes, and various education classes taught by the hospital staff. My goal is to make a serious life change and make exercise part of my daily life. I felt this place would help me do that.

The gym offered a free personal training session. I met with the trainer to discuss my goals, he took me around the gym to show me how all of the equipment works, and had me do some exercises to test my mobility, strength, and stamina. Most of the exercises he had me do, were not with the machines, but with free weights, and bands and other stuff that I would not have even tried to go near by myself.

That was the first week of June. I worked out with Joe (my personal trainer "PT") at the gym twice a week up until last week. He had me doing different exercises every time I went, so it was never boring. I learned more about all of the equipment and I became more confident in doing things myself when I was not with my PT. Joe helped me figure out what my limits actually are, what I should be feeling during exercise, what I should not be feeling, and how much I can push past my perceived limits. I know more now about resting times, and why they are important. This is all stuff that I maybe could have researched and discovered on my own, but I am not sure how safe that would have been.

Joe left the gym last week and I immediately requested a new PT. My new PT has a completely different methodology, and while it is different, it is still very effective. I learned about some new exercises and equipment last week and I look forward to learning more today.

Pros:

• I feel like a trainer helps me get the most out of my efforts and my time at the gym.
  • I am able to learn how to work out and use the gym equipment safely and most effectively.
  • The PT teaches me why I should do certain exercises and how they help me reach my goals.
  • It keeps me accountable, knowing that I need to keep up with my recommended exercises and show up for my sessions
  • I feel like they help me learn what my limits are and how to push them.
  • I am provided extra activities to focus on outside of my sessions (I went from 2 min to 25 min on the rower just by doing my homework).
  • The PT can keep moving me forward and providing new challenges as needed.

Cons:

• I am accountable to someone and have to show up at least twice a week :P
  • Having scheduled sessions makes it difficult to plan around.
  • The sessions take it out of me and I am usually too wiped to do anything else but shower and eat once I get home.
  • Neither of my trainers have worked with bariatric clients before, so I have had to provide some gentle reminders about my low calorie count and my need to sip (not gulp) water.
  • The sessions are not cheap.

On 7/17/2018 at 11:52 AM, SueperGal said:

My surgeon released me week 2 to begin working out and weight training. He also spoke to me during that appointment about how big of a gift the first year really is, and encouraged me to do everything I can to follow my diet, drink my Water, and keep up with my exercise. He said I should not even focus on my weight so much as the other three. Everyone's plan and surgeon are different, as far as when you are released. I was honestly stunned that I was not made to wait longer.

I had a few gym memberships throughout the years, but never anything consistent and I mostly just stuck to the treadmill and the few machines I could figure out myself. Basically, I did not have any idea what I was doing or if I was doing it right. I left the Surgeon's office the day he released me and went to my chosen gym. I chose a gym affiliated with my local hospital which focuses on whole body wellness. They have the gym, but they also have a spa, cooking classes, and various education classes taught by the hospital staff. My goal is to make a serious life change and make exercise part of my daily life. I felt this place would help me do that.

The gym offered a free personal training session. I met with the trainer to discuss my goals, he took me around the gym to show me how all of the equipment works, and had me do some exercises to test my mobility, strength, and stamina. Most of the exercises he had me do, were not with the machines, but with free weights, and bands and other stuff that I would not have even tried to go near by myself.

That was the first week of June. I worked out with Joe (my personal trainer "PT") at the gym twice a week up until last week. He had me doing different exercises every time I went, so it was never boring. I learned more about all of the equipment and I became more confident in doing things myself when I was not with my PT. Joe helped me figure out what my limits actually are, what I should be feeling during exercise, what I should not be feeling, and how much I can push past my perceived limits. I know more now about resting times, and why they are important. This is all stuff that I maybe could have researched and discovered on my own, but I am not sure how safe that would have been.

Joe left the gym last week and I immediately requested a new PT. My new PT has a completely different methodology, and while it is different, it is still very effective. I learned about some new exercises and equipment last week and I look forward to learning more today.

Pros:

• I feel like a trainer helps me get the most out of my efforts and my time at the gym.
  • I am able to learn how to work out and use the gym equipment safely and most effectively.
  • The PT teaches me why I should do certain exercises and how they help me reach my goals.
  • It keeps me accountable, knowing that I need to keep up with my recommended exercises and show up for my sessions
  • I feel like they help me learn what my limits are and how to push them.
  • I am provided extra activities to focus on outside of my sessions (I went from 2 min to 25 min on the rower just by doing my homework).
  • The PT can keep moving me forward and providing new challenges as needed.

Cons:

• I am accountable to someone and have to show up at least twice a week :P
  • Having scheduled sessions makes it difficult to plan around.
  • The sessions take it out of me and I am usually too wiped to do anything else but shower and eat once I get home.
  • Neither of my trainers have worked with bariatric clients before, so I have had to provide some gentle reminders about my low calorie count and my need to sip (not gulp) Water.
  • The sessions are not cheap.

Thank you!