Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New study, that fat is the cause of adiposity

https://neurosciencenews.com/fat-consumption-weight-gain-9573/amp/

I call bs, just based on personal experience. I did not read the actual study, just this article.

I agree, something is flawed here.

For what it's worth, back in the 80's or 90's Weight Watchers had a fat-and-fiber stage. The plan was very low fat, at least XX Fiber (I don't recall the amount). Other than that, you could eat pretty much whatever you wanted. I gained weight on that sucker. Fat isn't my temptation. It's salty/crunchy like pretzels, many of which are fat-free. I was in heaven, except for the whole gaining weight thing.

I don't believe this is true either. Back in 2008 I was devoted to following Atkins and lost fairly easily from 220 to 180 through strict adherence. You eat a lot of fat (I chose healthy fats like olive oil, black olives and avocados much of the time) and I noticed a huge drop in appetite and a huge increase in mental alertness and energy. It all fell apart when I quit smoking in 2009---I still sort of followed Atkins but started eating processed carbs more as well as potatoes and rice as well as other carbage. This resulted in gaining over 100 pounds by 2018.

Processed carbs, starches and fruits are my nemesis and I just have to avoid them. This is not true for everyone but it is for me.

Edited by MIZ60

31 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

I don't believe this is true either. Back in 2008 I was devoted to following Atkins and lost fairly easily from 220 to 180 through strict adherence. You eat a lot of fat (I chose healthy fats like olive oil, black olives and avocados much of the time) and I noticed a huge drop in appetite and a huge increase in mental alertness and energy. It all fell apart when I quit smoking in 2009---I still sort of followed Atkins but started eating processed carbs more as well as potatoes and rice as well as other carbage. This resulted in gaining over 100 pounds by 2018.

Processed carbs and fruits are my nemesis and I just have to avoid them. This is not true for everyone but it is for me.

I was quite successful with Atkins as well until I started to wander from the true path :(

I eat a ton of carbs and my diet is extremely fat restricted. I eat less than 20g of fat per day. I've lost weight pretty steadily eating at least 3 generous servings of fruit a day and lots of whole grains and veggies including brown rice and potatoes.

I'm going to have to increase calories to prolly 1600 to stop my weight loss here pretty quick:)

Fat restriction works very well for me.

10 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

I eat a ton of carbs and my diet is extremely fat restricted. I eat less than 20g of fat per day. I've lost weight pretty steadily eating at least 3 generous servings of fruit a day and lots of whole grains and veggies including brown rice and potatoes.

I'm going to have to increase calories to prolly 1600 to stop my weight loss here pretty quick:)

Fat restriction works very well for me.

Just one more example of how different our bodies are. We've all got to find what works for us.

True.

But we should also pay attention to history. If we've tried something in the past, and had great success that wasn't sustainable....maybe we need to rethink it?

I'm not a stranger to Keto, btw....I lost 50 pounds on it once upon a time in three months... and regained it just as fast. Keto made me feel wretched...I had actual dreams about food while on it, which was very weird...and my cravings for junk were incredibly intense and unpleasant. When I fell off the wagon, I kinda lost my mind...went nuts and made up for lost time. It wasn't pretty.

You are dead right....to each their own. And I know some folks do have luck with high Protein carb restrictive diets.

But for me? Carb restrictive diets were a recipe for me to fall off a cliff. Also, my BUN went up (my kidney function suffered because they had to work so much harder dealing with all that protein)

Not saying I haven't fallen off the wagon with my current diet....but when I do...the sensation is way different. I go a little off course, feel stupid, and don't have any problems getting right back in the saddle. I stall for a day or two, but don't really gain. Falling off Keto, I'd gain five pounds instantaneously and went completely out of control...it just snowballed.

I will never do that to myself again.

Great apes eat fruit, Fiber and lots of plant based protein. I'm a great ape, not a lion.

I am still experimenting with what will work long term...

In the past I have done Atkins, I am a serial Weight Watcher's member from the age of 15, Diet Workshop, TOPS, South Beach, etc. I lose fastest on Atkins, cannot lose on unlimited fruit on WW, lose slower on mixed balance carb/protein/fat diets.

Potatoes don't impact my losses, I do not eat Pasta since vsg, have had 2T servings of rice about 5 times in 5 months. I eat rye toast for bf most mornings with avocado on it, plus my egg. I stall right now if carbs go above 70gr and/or calories above 1200, and I am fairly active with all the square dancing. So still experimenting....

Image result for gorilla memeThat is not the look I am going for but whatever....:D

Edited by MIZ60

Ape lifespan..... 35-50 years. Often die of cancers related to old age.

Lion lifespan.... 10-14 years. Often die of end stage kidney disease.

Carnivorous mammals don't live very long.

Atkins post mortem exam showed he'd had heart attacks and coronary artery disease. he was also either obese, or retaining 20+ pounds of Water when he died...(the later would indicate kidney failure.)

Edited by Creekimp13

9 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

But we should also pay attention to history. If we've tried something in the past, and had great success that wasn't sustainable....maybe we need to rethink it?

Except that I've pretty much tried them all and regained in every case. So I'm banking on restriction. I doubt that I eat very differently from you, Creek. I eat oatmeal, quinoa, Beans, meats, veggies, dairy.

17 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Atkins post mortem exam showed he'd had heart attacks and coronary artery disease. he was also either obese, or retaining 20+ pounds of Water when he died...(the later would indicate kidney failure.)

Wrong----he was hospitalized for 9 days in critical care in a coma after falling and having a brain bleed at 72 years if age. He gained 60 pounds of Fluid during the time he was hospitalized and had surgery to remove the clot in his brain. Multi organ failure (including kidney failure) is very common in such a situation even for younger, healthy individuals.

Diet is only one contributor to coronary artery disease and heart attacks----sex, heredity, exercise and medications also play a very big role.

Since his family did not allow a post mortem exam (autopsy) it could not have shown anything.

Urban myths:rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

Wrong----he was hospitalized for 9 days in critical care in a coma after falling and having a brain bleed at 72 years if age. He gained 60 pounds of Fluid during the time he was hospitalized and had surgery to remove the clot in his brain. Multi organ failure (including kidney failure) is very common in such a situation even for younger, healthy individuals.

Diet is only one contributor to coronary artery disease and heart attacks----sex, heredity, exercise and medications also play a very big role.

Since his family did not allow a post mortem exam (autopsy) it could not have shown anything.

Urban myths:rolleyes:

Please let's not have another post to debate the cause of death for Mr. Atkins.... We can just reread this one... and let it rest LOL

I think this study is missing a key factor, what our "genetic" diet is supposed to be, IE what our bodies actually are designed to process. Our baseline diet is so drastically different from that of Mice that this study is laughable. I get that for medical processes, how certain drugs / etc work or are processed... sure using mice for that is fine, but a mice's baseline requirements to live are much different than humans or other primates. But since we can no longer study on primates, we are stuck with mice... but I raise a huge red flag on this whole article.