Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I’m just curious as to when everyone started really seeing their weight drop? I’m 1 week post op and I’ve lost 10 lb so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2018 at 20:56, Creekimp13 said:



Patience.


I have patience. I’m just curious when everyone started noticing or seeing their numbers really drop. I’m happy with what I’ve lost so far 10 lb is great for 1 week out. But thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was nearly 75lbs down before my coworkers started to notice. Once I hit a 100lbs, people sent me private emails to congratulate me. It’s become apparent that people notice now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it bothers you or negatively affects your mood to see your weight not decrease every day, I would stop weighing yourself daily. You just had surgery. Focus on healing.

Follow your program and diet and the weight loss will follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2018 at 21:23, AshAsh1 said:

I was nearly 75lbs down before my coworkers started to notice. Once I hit a 100lbs, people send me private emails to congratulate me. It’s become apparent that people notice now.
Wow! Well congratulations on hitting 100 lbs! Also thank you for the response! I know everyone’s different on how fast they lose but I still like hearing about everyone’s experience with when they noticed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2018 at 21:31, KimTriesRNY said:



If it bothers you or negatively affects your mood to see your weight not decrease every day, I would stop weighing yourself daily. You just had surgery. Focus on healing.




Follow your program and diet and the weight loss will follow.


I don’t weigh myself daily and it doesn’t really effect me to not see it drop. Like I said, I lost 10 lb so far and I just weighed today at my 1 week post op because I weigh weekly. It was a huge shock to see that I’d lost 10 lbs in one short week so I was extremely happy. But I definitely like your advice on not weighing every day. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2018 at 21:38, mckenzie said:

Wow! Well congratulations on hitting 100 lbs! Also thank you for the response! I know everyone’s different on how fast they lose but I still like hearing about everyone’s experience with when they noticed.
Thank you! I still have 35lbs to go to but my first goal. It happens differently for everyone. I was very big. 332lbs at 5’4, very petite stature. I think that’s why it took so long. Plus there’s the “polite” factor. I think people shy away from saying anything about someone’s weight, especially when they are my former size. Just don’t let it discourage you if people don’t say anything for awhile. Take more pride in the NSVs because there will be many of them. That’s what makes me proud everyday of my accomplishments. A family friend who is 100lbs soaking wet, gave me great advice recently. She said, there are days where I pick myself a part. Days I feel bloated and fat. It doesn’t matter how small you are, there will be days. But the things that don’t come and go for me is the improvement to my health, not worrying about if a chair will hold me, being able to cut my toenails and tie my shoes, walking across the parking lot without being out of breath, taking my dog for a walk.... *those* are the things that i never pick apart. I always hold onto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If 10 lb in a week isn't "really seeing their weight drop", I don't know what is. It is unlikely to be any better than that. Your first 2-3 weeks is usually the greatest loss rate as you are mostly dropping Water weight. After that (and possibly the common "third week stall") you will start actually burning off your stored fat, though that burns off more slowly. Also, your loss rate will slowly decline over time, on average, as your weight drops - it takes fewer calories to move 150 lb around all day than 250 lb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2018 at 21:57, RickM said:



If 10 lb in a week isn't "really seeing their weight drop", I don't know what is. It is unlikely to be any better than that. Your first 2-3 weeks is usually the greatest loss rate as you are mostly dropping Water weight. After that (and possibly the common "third week stall") you will start actually burning off your stored fat, though that burns off more slowly. Also, your loss rate will slowly decline over time, on average, as your weight drops - it takes fewer calories to move 150 lb around all day than 250 lb.


I never said my weight wasn’t “really dropping”. I was asking when everyone else started to really notice just because I’m curious to see the differences throughout people who have had surgery. I wasn’t expecting to lose even the 10 honestly in the first week. I was expecting like maybe if I was lucky 5. So It was a surprise to see that much gone already and I’m happy about it. I don’t get why everyone’s commenting like I’m complaining because I’m not. It was simply a question because I’m curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2018 at 22:03, mckenzie said:

I never said my weight wasn’t “really dropping”. I was asking when everyone else started to really notice just because I’m curious to see the differences throughout people who have had surgery. I wasn’t expecting to lose even the 10 honestly in the first week. I was expecting like maybe if I was lucky 5. So It was a surprise to see that much gone already and I’m happy about it. I don’t get why everyone’s commenting like I’m complaining because I’m not. It was simply a question because I’m curious.
I think some people look at posts similar to this and see people who think this a magic trick. There have been other OPs who get disappointed when they don’t wake up from surgery half way to goal. Obviously this is an extreme and I don’t relate this to you, and I don’t get that vibe from you. But people here will always encourage patience because it takes time to lose, even with surgery. Keep up the positive attitude. You are doing great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2018 at 22:08, AshAsh1 said:

I think some people look at posts similar to this and see people who think this a magic trick. There have been other OPs who get disappointed when they don’t wake up from surgery half way to goal. Obviously this is an extreme and I don’t relate this to you, and I don’t get that vibe from you. But people here will always encourage patience because it takes time to lose, even with surgery. Keep up the positive attitude. You are doing great.
Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea why people seem to take your post the wrong way.... to answer your question- I lost 15lbs my first week, and 45 my first month ... each month less and less after 6-7months... now at 10month and 105lbs less I’m 5’2 145lbs. On a long plateau and it is what it is... I’ll push harder. You’re doing great and good luck on this wild ride .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/11/2018 at 16:12, SGirl35 said:

No idea why people seem to take your post the wrong way.... to answer your question- I lost 15lbs my first week, and 45 my first month ... each month less and less after 6-7months... now at 10month and 105lbs less I’m 5’2 145lbs. On a long plateau and it is what it is... I’ll push harder. You’re doing great and good luck on this wild ride .
Thank you so much and congratulations on how amazing you are doing! Keep up your hard work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi McKenzie. Without looking at the scale, I really started to notice about 1 1/2 months out. My clothes started to feel loose. I just started feeling different. I knew I was loosing pounds because I literally weighed daily. I still sometimes do. Actually I do it all the time. I didn't really FEEL it until then. I started at 292 surgery day. I'm a little over a year out. I weighed this morning. I'm down to 176.6.

As for others they noticed about 70 pounds out. A few co workers noticed but not many. After a 100 pounds a co-worker worker said "Did you lose weight"? I sarcastically said about 10 pounds. She said well you look good keep it up. I just laughed.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 178
GW below 200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ms.sss

      So my surgery anniversary date is on the 24th of this month, but I had my 1-year follow up early with my surgeon this morning (I have another 1-year followup at the hospital on Monday to get my bloodwork and labs done).
      Anyhoo...my surgeon was very pleased with my results (and so where the office staff apparently, because 3 of the front desk ladies came by my exam room to give me props/high fives/generally gawk at me).
      But get this: he asked if I would be willing to come in for a future photoshoot so that I could be on a poster! And I was all, ummmm....no thanks, LOL.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Today was a really tough day and I turned to food (and a watered down glass of wine). The interesting part was that I felt REALLY full after eating half my go to cheat snack, tortilla chips with cheese. So the GBP is doing its job!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Nomorepasta

      Does anyone know how to change specific info on ur profile ex. Surgery date weight etc. ?..
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      The only way I can tell that I'm losing weight is from the scale and my clothes "getting bigger".
      · 1 reply
      1. nenes78

        When logged in, click on your username up top then choose my surgery, from there choose your option on the left menu. Or click the link https://www.bariatricpal.com/patients/portal/?do=progress

    • GreenTealael

      Still Traveling 😥😌😳😂
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×