Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard to lay in bed

Anyone else have a issue with laying flat in bed post op? I Can’t get on my side and my tummy feels extremely weird if I lay flat. Any ideas?

This weekend I was reading that some people need to sleep in a recliner for a while. Others were able to sleep in the bed with the help of pillows. Hope you get comfortable soon & have a speedy recovery.

Do you share a bed?

I layer and stack several pillows of different sizes and firmness. I place pillows along my sides to cushion those areas. I like my head raised, almost as though I were in a chair. Sometimes I even have pillows for my legs and feet. It takes a while to arrange my nightly nest, but it's always cozy. I also require a cold room, that includes a fan in addition to air conditioning. I'm only a few steps away from the bathroom, too.

Do you use a C-pap?

Lately, I've been sleeping with an over-sized T-shirt. I also prefer going commando, but that's just me.

So, lying on your belly and lying flat on your back both feel weird, is that correct?

I slept in a recliner the entire time in the hospital and for about 1.5 weeks after I returned home. Im a stomach sleeper so I completely understand. The doctor gave me Ambien to get me through that period because I could not sleep at all. I started slowly getting back on my stomach by using pillows to prop myself onto my side.

I slept in a recliner for a couple weeks too. It helped a lot.

I’m with the recliner people! Then moved to a pillow under my side and my back so I was propped in the side position but not totally on my side. It helped.

Give it a couple of weeks and you’ll be back sleeping on your side

Another recliner person here! I slept in that for about a week and then in bed with tons of pillows propped all around me so I was propped up on my side. It took probably 3 weeks or so before I was able to sleep normally on my side and about 4 weeks before I could comfortably sleep on my stomach. It sounds crazy but during those first few weeks I felt like my insides were going to fall out or tumble to the side every time I laid flat/on my side/on my stomach. It will get better though. Best of luck to you!

On 07/10/2018 at 03:17, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

Do you share a bed?

I layer and stack several pillows of different sizes and firmness. I place pillows along my sides to cushion those areas. I like my head raised, almost as though I were in a chair. Sometimes I even have pillows for my legs and feet. It takes a while to arrange my nightly nest, but it's always cozy. I also require a cold room, that includes a fan in addition to air conditioning. I'm only a few steps away from the bathroom, too.

Do you use a C-pap?

Lately, I've been sleeping with an over-sized T-shirt. I also prefer going commando, but that's just me.

So, lying on your belly and lying flat on your back both feel weird, is that correct?

It’s hard for me to lay any way. I slept in bed for the first time last night but I only slept on my right side and back a little bit but it was not very comfortable even with pillows.

Trust me the recliner is where I had to sleep for two weeks the bed is still hard. I use pillows to sleep on my side since I’m a side sleeper but because of the angle I have to sleep it causes pain on my hip and shoulder so sleeping is complicated the first month.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:42 PM, mckenzie said:

Anyone else have a issue with laying flat in bed post op? I Can’t get on my side and my tummy feels extremely weird if I lay flat. Any ideas?

Are you trying to sleep on your stomach or back?

Im dying to sleep in my bed but it was too much of a pain to get out of the bed. Getting in it was no problem but out nope! It hurt bad too so im forced to sleep in my chair now with some pillows and a blanket going to move my cpap machine to the living room too. I swear any place isnt good for me to sleep. I wish I had one of those amazing hospital chair/beds they have. Those were so nice. I could lift and lower, sit up move around pretty decently.

Prop a pillow under your belly if laying on your side

5 hours ago, GeminiSky said:

Im dying to sleep in my bed but it was too much of a pain to get out of the bed. Getting in it was no problem but out nope! It hurt bad too so im forced to sleep in my chair now with some pillows and a blanket going to move my cpap machine to the living room too. I swear any place isnt good for me to sleep. I wish I had one of those amazing hospital chair/beds they have. Those were so nice. I could lift and lower, sit up move around pretty decently.

When you tried to get out of bed did you try to sit straight up or roll over on your side? When I had my gallbladder removed I had to roll onto my side before attempting to get out of bed.