Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It’s (really) a whole new world

Hi everyone,

I am in the looking into / leaning towards the sleeve. A little more about me. I am an (ugh) 45 year old single mom to an amazing 17 year old daughter. She’s truly my partner in (all quite legal) crime. It’s been 12 years that we have been a team. I had always been active growing up. I swam US Swimming up until I was 17. I coached swim team. Taught swim lessons, etc. I worked in various health clubs and worked at the very first curves in my area at the time. So I always watched what I ate - but not anything outrageous. I am 5’ 4” and my weight would fluctuate by about 20 lbs (depending on the season...damn you egg nog). Which brings us to April of 2010. I live in MA to be more precise, on Cape Cod. If you don’t know where that is - GOOD (I’m kidding - kinda). But back to Doomsday as I now call it. I was visiting my mom who lived about an hour and a half away and I needed to get back for a pedicure appointment because it was the Friday before April vacation and we were going to the coolest indoor Water park. At that time, I drove an older model Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible. And it was borderline HOT that day. As I was leaving my mothers I contemplated taking the roof down, but decided not to because I was running late (typical). So I’m driving down the 2 lane stretch of highway that will bring me to the bridge to get to my town and nail appointment. I’m going a steady clip and traveling in the fast lane. All of a sudden a Ford 350 Truck is pulling into my lane on top of me. I was terrified of slamming on the breaks and getting rear ended so I hit my horn (if you could call it that- honestly it sounded like you blew into the wrong side of a kazoo) so I’m edging myself over and now I’m panicking. I have gotten myself in a terrible position. Since I was on the shoulder of a very narrow road, my car hit sand going at least 60 and I took off. All I really remember is sky/grass, sky/grass, sky/grass and finally coming to a stop upside down I could see all my belongings strewn everywhere in the grassy median. That accident made my “bad back” (ha not even close) worse my disc between L4-L5 was bulging. My options were spinal surgery or Physical Therapy until I couldn’t bear the pain anymore. That moment came in October of 2014 my daughter’s friend dropped an ice cube on the floor and somehow I managed to step on it and it took me down. I was in great shape and wanted to go the PT route again So we did that with Pain Management and a TON of steroids. I wasn’t improving so I was referred to my Neurosurgeon. I had the fusion in December and I knew it didn’t work. You have to wait a year before you are re-evaluated So I did and this led to a year and a half of anger, agony,depression, - you name it I had been gaining weight since the accident since I couldn’t do kickboxing any more. It’s weird, with the obesity epidemic where it is in this country why did not one single nurse, aide Rt doctor mention it. I am now 5’4” and weigh about 250. I’m supposed to have revision back surgery with another level of my back fused and they will take a bone graft from my hip to help ensure the surgery goes well. As I researched I started reading more and more about complications with spinal fusion in obese patients I got up the nerve and emailed my new Neurosurgeon’s nurse for information and she sent it to me right away as the clinic is a bit a way from me I opted to do orie I online. That will be next week. I feel like this may be my one best last chance to get some quality of life back. I would love to hear your stories and successes. Also how long is the recovery time? I think I read 4 weeks. Another question - my only other medical condition is my back at this point I have Medicare and Mass Health How long is the procedure from deciding , choosing dr appointments etc to actual surgery?

i hope I didn’t put you all to sleep thanks for listening

xx

jacie

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. I don't have any info regarding your insurance and how you can qualify for surgery but I do have a similar story to your's regarding the fusion. I had a fusion of L4/L5 3 years ago, I weighed around 215 and was 5' 4". My surgeon told me skinny people did better with back surgery. After the fusion, I walked my neighborhood and lost 15 pounds. My fusion was successful and I felt great and like I was on the right path. Well, a few months later I had to have a hysterectomy and couldn't be active for 6 weeks. I gained the weight back plus some. I'm also in school so I spent a lot of time sitting and studying. I got up to 234 before I had even heard of the gastric sleeve surgery. I'm in nursing school now and need to be able to be on my feet for 12 hour shifts. My weight was causing significant issues with my back and doing clinicals. All of this to say that doing the weight loss surgery has helped me tremendously and I would recommend doing it. Getting the weight off my back has helped me so much. Good luck to you and I hope everything works out!

Thanks so much for the inspiration. I know I need to get it done. I am so looking forward to starting this journey and knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel helps considerably. Im Happy for you and your success. One day at a time!

Hi,Jacie1205, I hopefully am nearing the end of my journey, should have my RnY yet this month. If you gave any questions you have only to ask. I will be having my surgery at OSU Wexner. Medical Center in Columbus Ohio. I am 72, so yes easily old enough to be,your mother, but still in it to win it. I have 2 children living, a daughter whom I call RD short for Rotten Daughter, let's see this month is JULY, her WA is this month, maybe I'll hear from her, if not her husband Melvin has a birthday on the 22nd think I'll call her house then. She lives less than a couple miles from me, this estrangement. is her idea. Sure I'd love to her more but I don't want to have to persue her to talk. I did call her to tell her I was having surgery, she immediately turned the conversation to herself, when I finally could get a word in edgewise, I said " Did you hear me say I'm having Major Surgery in Columbus? Her answer Whatever. So also she has her husband, her 2 daughters and Facebook , that's all she wants in life. The older one Naomi has just finished getting a divorce from,her husband and I think n is back,living at home. I wasn't supposed to mention to her because it would make her sad, surprise,i think she already knew she was getting a divorce. She and her ex had been apart for a year anyway. The younger is a Junior at Ohio State, the last I heard,her major is forensics. When I saw her mother in law,at the grocery , Nancy says Amy is starting to treat RD the same way she has treated me, so what goes around comes around. Am I happy about this? Nope but that's the way the road lies. She knows my phone number had the same one for 20 years, lived the same place for 18 years. I don't drive any longer, I think she still does, although she told me she was losing her sight, she told me one day,she had early,onset demetia, a bad knee although she has had at least one replacement and nobody suffers like she does. Sad isn't it? She will be 50 in January.
Then we have my son, whose name on here is Tomkitten, from the fact my first pen name was okay last and indeed it still,starts my email address. I just had trouble getting,it to work and had to change it to the one above. He is just as supportive as RD. is not. He wants me to have my surgery, gives me pep talks And think,is as close as your daughter,is to you. And their brother, my middle child, became an angel 10 years ago at the age of 31. He had cardiac abnormalities we were not aware of, indeed he too did not. know, and died of a ruptured aorta one cad January evening after being in our local hospital 17 hours. Oh if I told you the story you might not believe it, I lived it and I still can't accept it. He was also just as loving as Tomkitten, indeed he was both of ours best friend, buddy and a wonderful person to know.
I'll,let you, as well as everyone,else,know when,my surgery date is, but in the meantime if you need a friend I am always here.

Update I meet with my surgeon Bradley Needleman MD 7/17/18 atv22

2050 KennyRd Columbus. I believe I. am entering the Final Countdown toward my RnY surgery and I am so,very thrilled by this turn of events.👈😛👉

On 7/8/2018 at 9:39 PM, Jacie1205 said:

Hi everyone,

I am in the looking into / leaning towards the sleeve. A little more about me. I am an (ugh) 45 year old single mom to an amazing 17 year old daughter. She’s truly my partner in (all quite legal) crime. It’s been 12 years that we have been a team. I had always been active growing up. I swam US Swimming up until I was 17. I coached swim team. Taught swim lessons, etc. I worked in various health clubs and worked at the very first curves in my area at the time. So I always watched what I ate - but not anything outrageous. I am 5’ 4” and my weight would fluctuate by about 20 lbs (depending on the season...damn you egg nog). Which brings us to April of 2010. I live in MA to be more precise, on Cape Cod. If you don’t know where that is - GOOD (I’m kidding - kinda). But back to Doomsday as I now call it. I was visiting my mom who lived about an hour and a half away and I needed to get back for a pedicure appointment because it was the Friday before April vacation and we were going to the coolest indoor Water park. At that time, I drove an older model Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible. And it was borderline HOT that day. As I was leaving my mothers I contemplated taking the roof down, but decided not to because I was running late (typical). So I’m driving down the 2 lane stretch of highway that will bring me to the bridge to get to my town and nail appointment. I’m going a steady clip and traveling in the fast lane. All of a sudden a Ford 350 Truck is pulling into my lane on top of me. I was terrified of slamming on the breaks and getting rear ended so I hit my horn (if you could call it that- honestly it sounded like you blew into the wrong side of a kazoo) so I’m edging myself over and now I’m panicking. I have gotten myself in a terrible position. Since I was on the shoulder of a very narrow road, my car hit sand going at least 60 and I took off. All I really remember is sky/grass, sky/grass, sky/grass and finally coming to a stop upside down I could see all my belongings strewn everywhere in the grassy median. That accident made my “bad back” (ha not even close) worse my disc between L4-L5 was bulging. My options were spinal surgery or Physical Therapy until I couldn’t bear the pain anymore. That moment came in October of 2014 my daughter’s friend dropped an ice cube on the floor and somehow I managed to step on it and it took me down. I was in great shape and wanted to go the PT route again So we did that with Pain Management and a TON of steroids. I wasn’t improving so I was referred to my Neurosurgeon. I had the fusion in December and I knew it didn’t work. You have to wait a year before you are re-evaluated So I did and this led to a year and a half of anger, agony,depression, - you name it I had been gaining weight since the accident since I couldn’t do kickboxing any more. It’s weird, with the obesity epidemic where it is in this country why did not one single nurse, aide Rt doctor mention it. I am now 5’4” and weigh about 250. I’m supposed to have revision back surgery with another level of my back fused and they will take a bone graft from my hip to help ensure the surgery goes well. As I researched I started reading more and more about complications with spinal fusion in obese patients I got up the nerve and emailed my new Neurosurgeon’s nurse for information and she sent it to me right away as the clinic is a bit a way from me I opted to do orie I online. That will be next week. I feel like this may be my one best last chance to get some quality of life back. I would love to hear your stories and successes. Also how long is the recovery time? I think I read 4 weeks. Another question - my only other medical condition is my back at this point I have Medicare and Mass Health How long is the procedure from deciding , choosing dr appointments etc to actual surgery?

i hope I didn’t put you all to sleep thanks for listening

xx

jacie

Brigham and Womens Bariatric Weight Loss Center in Weymouth is a good place to start. They have information sessions twice per month. I don't know what part of the Cape you are on, but that might be a good place to start.