Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone !!🌸

I finally made my decision to have the Bypass, I have an appointment with my surgeon on July 3, 2018 .

I decided on the bypass because I felt it would be the most effective in my weight loss journey . I at times suffer from heart burn and I have heardvthat he sleeve could possible make this worse. Also I have over a 100 lbs to drop and I believe the bypass would be a better tool to help me accomplish this goal . Prior to my 24 week required classes I weighed 336, I am now 305. My BMI is around 48 , and I am 5’7. I’m thinking my surgery will be late July or early August . My Doctor is Dr.Zorn And has done Bariatric surgeries for many years and has earned him the reputation of being one of Southern California’s most experienced Bariatric surgeons , so I feel like I’m once good hands . Anyone abt to share their bypass experience ie. weight loss , other body changes, malabsorption, Hair loss etc

Sounds like you made a good informed decision! Congratulations and do keep us all posted!

Congrats and good luck! Best decision I ever made!

12 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Congrats and good luck! Best decision I ever made!

I echo this. Best decision I ever made for myself!

And if you want or need,a Bariatric GodAunt or even GodGrammy may I offer me? I am in Middle America, Ohio is about as middle road as you can get. I saw,on another forum thread , someone,thinking if I can. go back to my 20s and be thin everything will be perfect. Ain't no guarantee! I have lived until 72 years of age and I can tell you,there is no one age perfect, just like there was no good old days. They were different but,also not prefect. As an example I had a friend who,had partial. paralysis from polio. We have preventive liquids and shots now , back then our parents lived in fear every summer we would get that sickness. There is no free lunch in life, yes I am philosophical goes with my age. You do the best you can what you have. Now in July I will have my surgery, a Rny bypass and I believe it will enhance my,life, but make it,perfect? No I have arthritis, weight loss. will calm it down but it always will have influence. I have 2 knee replacements, less weight will help with,pain there but I never will be the baseball catcher, yes the boys had to let me play, ' cause there weren't that many guys in our neighborhood to field a team, besides I had a good arm and was willing to spend time crouched down when I wasn't batting, and I was a switch hitter, that is of value on a team, I also played basketball, tall enough,to play center, but preferred power forward, nobody challenged me to a game of horse, after I beat all my boy cousins as well as the guys in the hood. It was let Frustr8 play, shoot pick her for our side, she's hard to,play against. Now my knees wore out and needed replaced. But was it worth it, think so. I am about your size and height, used to be 6 feet but women skrink,with menopause. Its less healthy at my age than yours, but did my doctors tell me I had to do it? They might have mentioned dying pretty soon in passing, but this was my decision and although sleeve is an option for some, many of my friends are sleevers, it wasn't for me . I have GERD, bad enough I am on a top of the line PPI from my gastroenterologist, I have sleep apnea wear my jet pilot mask every night, as I said severe arthritis, I need the quicker weight loss bypass gives, the next step after my joint impairment is a wheelchair,no I prefer going through life at a fast lurch, and although at this point I have dodged 3 of the biggies, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer, when you weigh as much as a. redwood tree there are no guarantees there either. Many surgeon's won't do their magic,on people over 60 years old. I am here to prove them wrong, I am as healthy as many 45 year olds, strong-willed, committed to success and don't take no for an answer. I have outlived many family members, most more slender, and I have , given the chance many more miles in me. Don't count out Frustr8, count on me instead. Here are my stats if anyone reading this doesn't know them.
HW355 October 2017
CW321 flubbery pounds
SW to be determined
EDS July ?? 2018
Bariatric Facility Ohio State University-Wexner Medical Center
Columbus Ohio 43210
Surgeon-Bradley Needleman MD-😷cheif of Baiatric Surgery-when Frustr8 plays, she plays for keeps!
Nuff Said? At least, join me on this journey, the rewards will be lifelong and the Best is Yet To Be!😝

@Frustr8 I don't understand the concept of not doing the surgery on anyone over 60. Maybe there are just so many candidates out there that they can cherry-pick? People, overall, are living so much longer now and for those who do, the surgery is a cost-effetive option compared to the long-term costs of Type II diabetes, heart disease, strokes, even joint replacements. And, hopefully, it will dramatically affect the quality of life. You know I'm 100% supportive of you girl!

It’s an amazing journey- you’ll love it. Congrats!

That’s great news! Best decision I’ve ever made and I wish the same for you.

We, sad to say live in an age-demeaning society. Even Governor Lahm , of Colorado, said a few years ago we were a burden to society and should be allowed to die off. Then you come to someone like me, somebody who does still try, someone has hope there can be better days ahead. And then there are 20, 30, 40 even early 50 years coming in and asking. And they think Piece of Cake, we can do those quick, they are too young to have adult children who will sue our socks off if we screw something up. And the elder contempt may kick in, she had plenty of time to fix this, why should we put our self out? Meanwhile,like a dog locked outside I am begging to come in,
to be only considered worthy.

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

We, sad to say live in an age-demeaning society. Even Governor Lahm , of Colorado, said a few years ago we were a burden to society and should be allowed to die off. Then you come to someone like me, somebody who does still try, someone has hope there can be better days ahead. And then there are 20, 30, 40 even early 50 years coming in and asking. And they think Piece of Cake, we can do those quick, they are too young to have adult children who will sue our socks off if we screw something up. And the elder contempt may kick in, she had plenty of time to fix this, why should we put our self out? Meanwhile,like a dog locked outside I am begging to come in,
to be only considered worthy.

Snap out of this, woman! You've been doing great, you have a doctor you like who will do your surgery. You're finishing the final requirements to be a go! Stop looking at that glass half empty and look at the one right next to it that is overflowing with possibilities!

And I plan to drink from glass#2 until I drain it dry.
A motto for me today (and anyone reading substitute your name for mine, it's OKAY)
The most important thing in life is to be the best Frustr8 possible. I would not have been born if the world didn't need me, if I didn't have a purpose. Some of us realize our purpose early, some later, but if we live long enough we can all achieve it.
Smiles to all of you, starting with Dominion Day, in 3 days our celebration of freedom and later yet this month Bastille Day. All beautiful,wonderous days for our countries, and before I forget them also, the Philippines. It wasn't for the USA to have a colony, against our usual tendencies, but if our Mum the UK can rejoice in us, we can also smile on the Phillipines!😛

My highest weight was 305 (5 ft. 6.5 in), my first bariatric visit 289, my surgery weight 248, current weight 217. I had surgery May 2. I've been staying pretty tight to the rules the doctor set for me, and so far its been really good. You can do this.

My doctor is the one who suggested that I get a bypass instead of a sleeve. Two things sold me on the bypass:

1. No part of my body would be removed. With the sleeve, half or more of my stomach would be removed permanently. The word "permanently" scared me.

2. I had no chance of developing reflux. The thought of getting reflux (when I've never had it) was something I did not want to risk.

And if anyone wants an update, I did finally get my RNY. On September 5th 2018 my very own Precious Pouch was constructed by my surgeon Bradley J Needleman. It was 3 weeks ago, and PP and I have an uneasy truce. She likes liquids, she usually likes Protein Shakes, but then there are the pureed foods. She is selective about these, sometimes it is Happyville, sometimes she plays Elevator " Everything Going Up" next stop the Outside World!
And one day, "Hmmn So Good," next day "Nothing Going Through" But everyday I grow stronger and I think she will too.
Life is a life-long Book, if you thi,k you understand it all, someone goes and turns the page#

And my Bari-Bud @Orchids and Dragons in Texas, a shout -out here! She was my friend Presurgery , she is my friend still. She has perked me up when I am full of Whim-wahs, she is a cool head of reason in the Bariatric wars of life. May you all find your own Orchids and Dragon, sure you can go through all this aline, but it is SO MUCH BETTER when you have a friend, especially, one who has gone through the same things.