Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else’s doctor tell them a pre-op diet is not necessary?

Hey all,
So I am confused.....I have a doctor who is very experienced and I feel very confident in.....but he told me that he does not need me to do a pre-op diet. My BMI is a little lower and I am Doing self pay, but I would still think this maybe would be necessary? Has anyone else had gastric sleeve without doing the pre-op liver shrinking diet?

Following...

I didn’t have to do the 2 week pre-op full liquid diet. I lost 20 lbs in the six months prior to surgery eating low carb, high Protein and my surgeon said that was sufficient. I did Clear Liquids the day before surgery.

Hi, I didn’t do pre op diet in fact my Dr told me to eat what I wanted last days I’m 3 month 3 weeks post op and I’ve lost 97 pounds.

i think every Dr has their own little book they follow

MiltonP, are you doing anything special that helped you achieve such a drastic weight loss in the three months. My surgery is in two weeks and I keep trying to picture what I’ll look like by Christmas.

Doctors are all over the map with the presurg liver shrink diet. Some do two weeks, some three, some a couple days, some do none at all.

Some do Protein Drinks only, some do skim milk, some do a couple shakes with one veggie and Protein meal...it's kinda crazy.

Mine did two weeks of five shakes...then, prescription shakes the last five days...and finally, we had to chug a massive amount of white grape juice the night before surgery!

They're all different and weird. Who knows why?

Could be a difference of equipment, restraint technique, surgical strategy...who can say?

I will say that the two weeks of mind games giving up food and switching to shakes prepared me well for the shock of not being able to eat for weeks. I think maybe it's a good idea to give people an escape hatch if they're not truly committed. The liver shrink thing...does make sense...and I'm all for getting every safety advantage possible. (though, I would not say that surgeons who operate without the diet are necessarily unsafe)

Pick someone good....and trust their judgement. Best you can do.

23 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Doctors are all over the map with the presurg liver shrink diet. Some do two weeks, some three, some a couple days, some do none at all.

Some do Protein Drinks only, some do skim milk, some do a couple shakes with one veggie and Protein meal...it's kinda crazy.

Mine did two weeks of five shakes...then, prescription shakes the last five days...and finally, we had to chug a massive amount of white grape juice the night before surgery!

They're all different and weird. Who knows why?

Could be a difference of equipment, restraint technique, surgical strategy...who can say?

I will say that the two weeks of mind games giving up food and switching to shakes prepared me well for the shock of not being able to eat for weeks. I think maybe it's a good idea to give people an escape hatch if they're not truly committed. The liver shrink thing...does make sense...and I'm all for getting every safety advantage possible. (though, I would not say that surgeons who operate without the diet are necessarily unsafe)

Pick someone good....and trust their judgement. Best you can do.

Sorry, I tried to only quote the part about how the preop diet prepares us for the surgery. My preop was only 8 days. 5 days of 2 Protein Shakes and then a healthy dinner of Protein and veggies only. Then 3 days of only Water and yogurt. I have one day left, tomorrow, and Thursday is surgery. I can’t tell you the emotions and like Creekimp mentioned the mind games I’ve gone through.

It is however a definite learning experience and I’m glad that I had to do it. I honestly don’t believe I could have been prepared for this without this preop diet. Preop diets are your practice for the surgery. The more you practice, the better prepared you’ll be. I’m not at all saying that those who don’t have a preop diet won’t succeed. I’m saying that I really needed that kick in the ass.

Good luck to all preop or not!

I only had two days. Happy for it. Didn’t need to be weak and hungry before surgery. I should add that I was under a nutritionist supervision for 6 months “learning” how to eat with my sleeve.

I have two weeks of a diet. It’s the “robard” diet. 1 Soup, 1 bar and pudding and shakes each day supplied by the specific company. I am also excited to do the pre-op diet because I have struggled with weight loss before surgery. So, I’m glad to have something very structured to follow.

no pre op diet here. I didn't even realize how lucky i was till i got here and read about the 2 week liquid diet pre op that so many others have to go thru.

Nothing except for clear liquids starting noon the day before. I did just fine

My doctor didn't require a pre-op diet.

I visited him 2-3 weeks before the surgery. I asked about the pre-op diet and he said it's not necessary