Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible to be anorexic after gastric bypass?? Help...

I had my gastric bypass on May 21st, a little over a month ago. It has been a hell of a ride, in and out of the er, many complications... At first I felt like I was eating way too much and I kept feeling hungry all the time. Once I realized it was an adjustment period and I was having issues with acid, those feelings toned down quite a bit. But now, I'm struggling to get in just my minimum calories. I have to force myself to intake a Protein Shake or some food, and I can tell when I'm eating that I'm not full at all, but I get this feeling like my stomach just wants to 🤢 for no reason, so I stop eating. Days at end recently are sitting at about 300 to 400 calories, and it feels like it's getting worse. And that's with trying to force in some extra calories at the end of the day to make up for the lack throughout the course of the day. I can't even intake all of my Vitamins because I feel like I'll not be able to handle them. Is this just a phase? Or... Should I be concerned?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my gastric bypass on May 21st, a little over a month ago. It has been a hell of a ride, in and out of the er, many complications... At first I felt like I was eating way too much and I kept feeling hungry all the time. Once I realized it was an adjustment period and I was having issues with acid, those feelings toned down quite a bit. But now, I'm struggling to get in just my minimum calories. I have to force myself to intake a Protein Shake or some food, and I can tell when I'm eating that I'm not full at all, but I get this feeling like my stomach just wants to 🤢 for no reason, so I stop eating. Days at end recently are sitting at about 300 to 400 calories, and it feels like it's getting worse. And that's with trying to force in some extra calories at the end of the day to make up for the lack throughout the course of the day. I can't even intake all of my Vitamins because I feel like I'll not be able to handle them. Is this just a phase? Or... Should I be concerned?

It is possible to be anorexic after surgery. They say usually it goes away after a couple months. I was way before surgery. And it is a hard cycle to break. I am a year and a half out and I still am. However, my intake has gotten better on most days. But before I was only getting 100 to 300 calories a day and was threatened with a feeding tube. Just watch yourself

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

9 minutes ago, countryrae2001 said:

Sure it's possible, but, what you describe doesn't seem to be "anorexia" since you are TRYING to eat more. Now, if you were telling us that you are refusing to eat and had no intention on trying to eat... that would be anorexia.

Keep your surgical staff and nutritionist informed, do your best and just keep trying to get to your goals. As long as you are trying and want to try... I wouldn't be too concerned about the "Anorexia" stuff.

For Vitamins, you can try the PatchMD Patches. I've been using them for a few months now and my labs came back good, my Vitamin D is a little low, but everything else was well within normal ranges.

Perhaps What You Have Is Good Adversion? Call in some re-enforcements, dietician , nutritionist, Bariatric Therapist, PCP maybe even a psych . You are too valuable a person not,to ask for,help. We all need it at times.

Sure it's possible, but, what you describe doesn't seem to be "anorexia" since you are TRYING to eat more. Now, if you were telling us that you are refusing to eat and had no intention on trying to eat... that would be anorexia.

Keep your surgical staff and nutritionist informed, do your best and just keep trying to get to your goals. As long as you are trying and want to try... I wouldn't be too concerned about the "Anorexia" stuff.

For Vitamins, you can try the PatchMD Patches. I've been using them for a few months now and my labs came back good, my Vitamin D is a little low, but everything else was well within normal ranges.
Can you tell me more info about the Patches? I'm having such a hard time taking anything by mouth right now. Are they expensive?

How would you know if you are or aren't? My mom threatened to put me in the hospital a long time ago because she said I was too skinny, and I was only eating bread and maybe a couple of bites here and there. But I never really looked into it so I wouldn't know if I am or am not. At this point, there's a part of me that knows if I don't eat I will have problems with my health. There's the other part of me that just flat out doesn't want to eat. I just want to drink. And not Protein or smoothies either. I want to gag thinking about eating most times and I have to force myself to do it.

Bite the bullet and see your therapist. Lot of red flags here. Best to be safe and have a professional weigh in.

3 minutes ago, countryrae2001 said:

Can you tell me more info about the Patches? I'm having such a hard time taking anything by mouth right now. Are they expensive?

I buy mine on the BariatricPal store
https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/patchmd

They aren't "cheap" but the cost isn't prohibitive by any nature. You put them on in the morning, leave them on for at least 8 hours and that's it. There is a lot of mixed feelings about the Patches, lots of people refuse to admin they work, stating that it's impossible for the Vitamins to be transmitted transdermally, that there are no tests/studies/etc. So I figured I'd give them a proper test run, full with blood work etc. So with my surgeon, the head of nursing for my hospital and the head pharmacist, I was approved to try them out. I took once a week D vitamins, Daily B1 (which I no longer need to take) and that's it, everything else was provided by the patches. So, outside of my Vitamin D being low, every other tested level was perfect.

3 minutes ago, countryrae2001 said:

How would you know if you are or aren't? My mom threatened to put me in the hospital a long time ago because she said I was too skinny, and I was only eating bread and maybe a couple of bites here and there. But I never really looked into it so I wouldn't know if I am or am not. At this point, there's a part of me that knows if I don't eat I will have problems with my health. There's the other part of me that just flat out doesn't want to eat. I just want to drink. And not Protein or smoothies either. I want to gag thinking about eating most times and I have to force myself to do it.

Anorexia is a mental disorder, it's possible you have it... only way to be sure is going to be to sit down with a professional and have them evaluate you. I'll leave it there, I can get into some of the specifics, but given I'm not a doctor or licensed therapist, anything I tell you is going to be generalized and if you have a legitimate concern you really should check it out. It's also possible that you are just learning your new digestive system. But again, might be best to have a professional give you the 411 on that.

Not Good. but food and that ain't Good by any stretch of the imagination! Hugs, get some help, I know I will after my upcoming surgery. Your friend Frustr8

So what about your Multivitamins? Do the Patches cover those as well?

Thank you for the input. It's pretty recent, but it's such a drastic jump. I'll have to keep my eye on it

What Matt said. Anorexia is a mental disorder about control and anxiety that manifests itself in restricting. There are many online screening tools that can help if you are honest when you take them—

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/screening-tool

But a therapist would probably be a help to you whether you are fully anorexic or “just” have issues surrounding eating and food.< /p>

Have gastroparesis. Played havoc with everything. Took a LONG time to get things settled. I got accused by the doc of being that way, as they ignored the gastroparesis diagnose I had for years. My family protested to the surgeon, didn't listen. I had other issues that occurred, but long and short, surgeon attitude was a bigger issue in my case. It depends on background and person.