Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideal Water amount?

We are told to get a minimum 64 oz Water. But what is the ideal target?

I've noticed that my biggest weight drops are after days I was unusually thirsty and went well above 64oz. However, that thirst could be a result of whatever other body processes might have caused me to be loose that weight also. If there is an ideal amount, rather than the minimum 64oz, I'd like to do that.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

13 minutes ago, wjgo said:

idea amount, rather than the minimum 64oz, I'd like to do that.

@wjgo

any # over 64 oz is great. i don't think you can drink too much . raising my glass to your health

keep up the great job.

good luck

kathy

Anything beyond 64 oz. is your preference. If you're thirsty, drink. Listen to your body. I'm usually in the 100 oz. range, but it's hot where I live. If you're exercising, you will probably get thirstier.

I've been a bad little Aspiring WLS person today. I haven't drank enough H20 today, now I'm tetering on a urinary flare up because I dehydrated myself. Don't I know,better? Yeah I do but. I was so busy talking the talk I failed to walk the walk, better repent now,before I become,post surgery and risk hurting myself more! Yes I will force my Water down, see I have a bottle,right here🍶 I promise👏 I WILL DRINK IT!😪

I am 5'8 and my nutritionist told me I should be getting 80 oz because I'm taller.

I've been a bad little Aspiring WLS person today. I haven't drank enough H20 today, now I'm tetering on a urinary flare up because I dehydrated myself. Don't I know,better? Yeah I do but. I was so busy talking the talk I failed to walk the walk, better repent now,before I become,post surgery and risk hurting myself more! Yes I will force my Water down, see I have a bottle,right here[emoji479] I promise[emoji122] I WILL DRINK IT![emoji25]
Post surgery, you just can't force it down. The stomach will still be small, and you will have to sip over time, basically sip whenever not eating, leaving time before and after meals. Right after surgery, you'll find yourself having to choose between a meal or water. After a while, you'll improve on getting your food in. But it's still hard
If you start late in the day, you might not have enough time to get it all in.
Some program want you to sip water pre-op as a training method so you transition to post-op easier. You definitely can not drink water with meals post operation, so my program told us to practice that pre-op.

My dietician told me that if I have to choose between water and a meal, choose water, because water is critical for weight loss.

Anything beyond 64 oz. is your preference. If you're thirsty, drink. Listen to your body. I'm usually in the 100 oz. range, but it's hot where I live. If you're exercising, you will probably get thirstier.
How far are you post-op? I am just 3 months. 100 oz seems a lot for me now, and getting other meals in. However, I will make that my goal. I'll have to create a jabit of keeping two thermos of Water with me. I usually travel with a 20 oz. I'll just have to up my game.

1 minute ago, wjgo said:

How far are you post-op? I am just 3 months. 100 oz seems a lot for me now, and getting other meals in. However, I will make that my goal. I'll have to create a jabit of keeping two thermos of Water with me. I usually travel with a 20 oz. I'll just have to up my game.

My surgery was Feb. 26th, so nearly 4 months out. But I've always been a big drinker and fortunately didn't have any trouble even within a couple of days of hitting the 64 oz. I'm also still using Protein Water to help get my protein in, so that's 20 oz right off the bat while I'm driving to work. If you're good with the 64, stay there. Just don't feel like you can't have more if you're thirsty. Hmmm, you just made me realize I'm 50g short on my protein today. UGH! Gotta go drink a shake.

@ wjgo maybe I should have not used the word " force" I open a bottle of Water, take a couple baby sips then set it down and don't finish it. That's what I meant by force, remember to drink the whole bottle even if it's in small increments. Then I end up with a line of lukewarm bottles and I don't like lukewarm, either cold or. warm tea temp, but not tinkle-warm anything. And its 90+ in Ohio so chilled tastes very fine.🍶