Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this Normal???

I have yet ANOTHER question. My port site (5 days post op) is firm, bruised, has a bit of a sensation like it's pulling or that something is tight, and when I put my hand flat over it I can feel a bump about the size of a tablespoon that is rounded and kind of firm right under the skin. Is this Normal swelling or should I be worried about something else? (YIKES!)

I don't know if it's just implanted kind of shallow??? I do know that I have the new Mini port (not yet FDA approved).

Just wondering if I should be concerned.

THANKS!

Pati i don't have my band yet but i wanted to say welcome to the board and good luck. It is always good to call your Dr if you think something is wrong....

Pati, it sounds like you're just feeling the port! It does take a little getting used to, and yes, at only 7 days out it could indeed be a bit swollen still. But the pulling sensations are normal (unless they're painful) as your surgery heals.

Welcome to LBT and don't worry!! :D

Hey patti,

I was banded on the 12th and have the exact sensation near my port. The Dr. told me that that is where they have to make the bigest, deepest incision thru the stomach muscle and they stitch the port to that muscle to avoid slippage. What you are feeling is the muscle healing and scar tissue forming to aide in your recovery. In a day or 2 you will feel the pulling and tightness less and less. Walk and bend and sleep on your side as much as you can to get those muscles stretching and healing. I am so glad you had the same feelings as I did. I was concerned. I feel much better now. Hope I helped put your mind at ease. Good luck and lets keep in touch.

So since I am so new to the banded community, I guess I have a lot to learn. I am a huge researcher and I knew everything about the band prior to getting banded, but you guys have the most wonderful practical advice and information and I am very glad I came across this board. I am particularly glad to hear that most people were still hungry right after surgery. I can barely make it through the day on full liquids and am constantly starving. I was getting discouraged, but you all helped put it in perspective. I could probably eat a regular prebanded meal right now without incident, but I won't. I guess I need patience until the first fill. Can't wait for that. Any suggestions about how to curb the growling, empty feeling I feel almost all day long???

Thanks

Just keep putting something in there. Sip, sip, sip. Soups, yogurts, anything to trick the tummy into thinking it is getting something. Believe it or not, all growling from the tummy doesn't necessarily mean we're hungry. With the band, you'll notice ALOT of noise, mostly the band itself acting as a funnel. There is also alot of noise coming from the small intestine which is next place everything makes a stop. Since the stomach is relatively empty now when we eat (instead of being stuffed from having stuffed it 4 hours earlier or less), once it hits that small intestine, it goes to work and we get to hear it. That's something new since our tummies were probably rarely empty pre-band. :D

Good Luck with everything Pati. Im not banded yet so i dont know what you are going though.. Just hang in there!!!!! the reward will be great!

"Qwinner"

Hang in there. You're almost there and the worse is over!!!! You'll be on puree before you know it. And I must say it will feel good.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I will try to post a new thread with a little more info about myself since I am new to the boards.