Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your typical day look like?

I am very curious to know what a typical day looks like for people! I am only one week out of gastric bypass and I can hardly even get 20oz of liquid down (don’t even ask about protein) that’s non existent in my life right now! I feel fine everyday I take all of my Vitamins and I feel great! So what does your food intake day look like from the time u wake to the time u get ready for bed? If u can add times and amounts please do so! I’m super curious even for some ideas of what I can look forward to eating! Thank you all!!

I'm a sleeve person...wrote this up on another post.

My clinic sets a goal of 1200 calories and 60+ grams of Protein per day during weight loss phase. We can either eat three 400 calorie meals, or six 200 calorie meals...or any combination we'd like as long as net calories are 1200 per day. I personally prefer to do three tiny meals during the day, a bigger meal for dinner, and another tiny meal around 8pm (usually it's got a desert vibe, like fruit or cupcake yogurt, or a chocolate protein bar.)

This is how my day usually works: (with a few different meal options...I like to mix it up a lot...variety is necessary!)

200 calorie Breakfast (oatmeal and coffee with Protein Shake for creamer/an egg and half a slice of whole grain toast/fruit and yogurt/etc)

200 lunch ( 3 ounces of pork chop or chicken breast with green beans/sweet potatoe with pecans and salad/BLT wrap/chef salad with hard boiled egg/homemade veggie Soup and slice of homemade bread)

200 midday snack (protein muffin/half a cup of potato salad/veggie and hummus/etc)

400 dinner (Crab boil/steak salad with eggs and swiss/protien Pasta with salad and homemade wholegrain bread/chicken stir fry/stuffed pepper/ vegetarian chili and cheese on a baked potato/etc)

200 after dinner snack (strawberries with chocolate sauce/watermellon/frozen grapes/cupcake yogurt/oatmeat with pecans and cherries/chocolate Protein bar) I like a little sweet after dinner, and usually do this after I finish my 12,000 steps for the day...sort of my reward.

I eat a lot of really satisfying delicious food. I'm getting an education about portions and making healthier choices. I'm eating a ton of fruits and veggies, lean Proteins and complex carbs.

I LOVE my diet. I feel better on it. Tons of energy. Exercise is a big part of my day, too...and I have the energy to enjoy doing it.

I drink at least 64 ounces of Fluid a day. I have been in the habit of drinking all day and paying attention to drinking a lot because I used to take a diuretic and dehydration has been a risk. Water goes in the car with me anywhere I drive. I drink steadily anytime I'm at my desk or at home. coffee, tea, lots of iced tea and Mio recently, herbal tea, water, etc. If my pee is darker? I drink like crazy.

I typically walk 4000 steps by noon, 8000 by 5pm, and get a full 12,000 by bedtime. 1am?

I do a variety of cardio activities....an hour, three times a week. (in addition to the walking)

Weight loss has been slow and steady:) Getting close to goal:)

Loving life:)

PS...I'm a sleeve, not a bypass...but figured so much of this is universal it couldn't hurt to add to the conversation.

My days are reasonably consistent. My surgeon is very ‘hands off’ with regard to food, Protein, but has done a fair bit of Rea search with his 1700 bypass patients - the average is 800 calories a day a year out, and 1000 long term. He is strictly 3 meals a day, no in between snacking.

I have coffee/protein shake at Breakfast - coffee shot, bit of milk, 30g protein, ice cubes blitzed. For lunch 25g cheese and either chicken/ham or maybe a salami beerstick. And then we have our big variety in dinner. We have mostly eaten with a strong focus on preparing from-scratch evening meals all year, low carb, good protein and loads of fresh veggies. I do use bought (processed) dressings, sauces, sometimes. Like most New Zealanders, we do eat a fair bit of cheese, sometimes home made (oh, making halloumi, mozzarella and ricotta is SO easy) and homemade yoghurt. And that is us - no treats, but we make an evening meal we really enjoy.

BUT. up until the bypass, our BS (before surgery) diet included fairly frequent takeaways, regular brunches. But the worst offender was potato crisps and dip, and binges with ice cream, chocolate or biscuits or other processed ‘treats’.

These have ceased, and I feel way better for it. I crave different food types now, and seldom have sugar cravings - and when I do, I ride it out!

I eat 3 meals a day with a small "dessert" which is typically fruit. My restriction is definitely strong so when I do eat, i can only have a couple of bites before i'm full. I have to eat every 4-5 hours otherwise my tummy starts to hurt. Here are just some of the things I eat.

Breakfast (7:30-8am): Protein Shake & coffee/1 egg and half a piece of toast/ 4 broccoli and cauliflower tater tots.

Lunch (noon-1pm): chicken salad w/ cucumbers for dipping/chicken soup/slice of Turkey wrapped with cheese & a pickle.

Dinner (5-6pm): 3 bean chili/ deconstructed "tacos"/chicken stir fry

Dessert (8pm): half a mandarin orange/ watermelon/cherries

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 1 month out revision from sleeve to bypass. This is my day:

-wake up around 6am, take my gallbladder, acid reducer, Vitamin D, Biotin, Calcium, multi Vitamin & B12 pills. I take them with Water & drink about 6 ounces of water.

-while I get ready for work, I begin drinking my Protein Drink so the pills can settle easy. I either drink an 11 ounce Protein drink or a 16.9 ounce; I usually and one scoop of GENEPRO to either one to add to my protein. I finish this on my way to work & a bit at work which leaves me at about 50g of protein that i drank and about 17-22 ounces of Fluid drank (depending on which drink). I finish about 8:30 am

-I immediately start drinking my water out of my hydroflask water bottle which is 20 ounces. I finish this about 11:30 am which leaves me at about 37-42 ounces of water drank.

-I then wait my 20 minutes to eat and I eat around 12 noon. For lunch I have about 2 ounces of my soft foods (fish, eggs or soft cheese). Takes me about 30-35 minutes to eat this. The protein varies depending on what I eat so I will guesstimate about 5-8g protein for lunch. This leaves me with consuming about 58g of protein. I then wait 40 minutes to drink again.

-so around 1:40pm I drink 16.9 ounces of water and finish it by the end of my workday at around 3:30. This leaves me at about 53-58 ounces of fluid/water.

-At 3:30 I begin to drink a Premier Protein clear mixed with a crystal light lemonade for the ride home and will finish about 5:30 at home. When I get home I finish the remainder of my meds/vitamins which are Multivitamin, Iron & calcium, anti acid & galladder. This leaves me at about 69-74 ounces of fluid & 78g of protein. I then begin my 20 minute wait if eating.

-so around 6pm I eat 2 ounces of soft food again which is about 4-6g of protein so I will finish my protein for the day at about 84 g of protein. I will wait 40 minutes again to drink water at around 7-7:15pm.

- I will continue to drink water all evening until bedtime which is 10-10:30pm. By then I will consume approximately 20 more ounces of fluid which leaves me at 94 ounces of fluid.

i don’t really count calories but looking back on MyFitnessPal it’s about 430 calories for the day

94 ounces of fluid

84 grams of protein

430 calories

Edited by Bryn910

Thank you. I’m having surgery in the fall and this is very helpful. So are you able to follow this comfortably without feeling like you’re starving?

1 minute ago, Midwest Girl said:

Thank you. I’m having surgery in the fall and this is very helpful. So are you able to follow this comfortably without feeling like you’re starving?

After surgery I have never felt hungry. I get cravings for only the things I see, but no hunger. I think it’s just me missing the fact that I can’t have those foods any longer. But once it’s out of my view, it’s gone

12 hours ago, Bryn910 said:

After surgery I have never felt hungry. I get cravings for only the things I see, but no hunger. I think it’s just me missing the fact that I can’t have those foods any longer. But once it’s out of my view, it’s gone

Me neither.

I am 6 months post surgery. I have just been in hospital having gallstones out. For 5 days I have been on the acute surgery list - nil by mouth from 9pm, through the day, until I get sent home at 9.30pm the next day cos I got bumped off the list by more urgent cases. Never hungry, not once. (PS I got the surgery this morning!)