Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you exercising?

My doctor said not to start an extensive exercise routine until after my first fill, which won't be until January. He said for now to just walk outside or on the treadmill. To be honest, I haven't really done much because I walk a lot at work and have a 16 month old I run after. I'm sure I should be doing more but just don't have the time or energy!

I need to get inspired to exercise! What are you other "tens" doing at this point?

Misty

I was banded on Oct 25/07 and had been walking 2-4 miles everynight since I got home. I ended up bleeding and had to call TLBC to see what was happening. The nurse told me I was over doing it and my body was letting me know it. She said I couldn't walk like that and had to stay of my exercise bike and gazelle for 6 weeks. I haven't walked since the night of October 30 and now I am afraid my weightloss will slow up. I am thinking that if I walk 20 minutes a night I should be okay. I have picked up a horrible cold so that is my plan for next week.I know that doesn't really help you as I am unsure as to how much we are to do at this early stage.

Good Luck in your weightloss.

18 Again

MistyDTX,

It is soo amaxing how everyone's doc is different! I was released to go to the gym and do the elliptical machine at 10 days out. I can't do the treadmill bc of a bum knee so the elliptical is my choice. I have worked up to 45 minutes every other day. i see my doc again Thursday and he will probable move me to 30 minutes a day then. He said at 3 - 4 weeks I could ride my mountain or road bike again. That is not too far away! I will ask on Thursday.

I am actually enjoying this working out thing! I feel better and better everytime I go!

Let me say this though. I HAVE to exercise, or I will gain weight. I got to that ravenous stage really early and when I got to solids, I never looked back! So, if I do not excercise I will GAIN weight or stay stagnate. I cant wait for my first fill!!

Good luck!:whoo:

Wow!!!! 25lbs you are doing great. I am going to go back to walking and start on my exercise bike and gazelle I will just listen to my body. I am in the honey moon period and this is when you loose the most weight. I don't want to do the 1-2 lbs at this stage.

Keep up the great work. Good luck on your journey.

18 Again

Wow!!!! 25lbs you are doing great. I am going to go back to walking and start on my exercise bike and gazelle I will just listen to my body. I am in the honey moon period and this is when you loose the most weight. I don't want to do the 1-2 lbs at this stage.

Keep up the great work. Good luck on your journey.

18 Again

Thanks! I wanted this really really bad, so i had to lose weight to get it(go figure) The insurance was hell and wanted to see that I was dedicated enough to follow the guidelines!! I showed them!! LOL Thank you for the comment and good luck on your journey as well!! Have you had a fill? Is this why you call it the honey moon phase? Just curious!

Melissa

No I have not had a fill yet. I go on Dec 7/07 for my first one I refer to it as the honeymoon period as that is what I have read on this site and Canadian Bandsters before I had surgery. From the time you have surgery until you go on solids you loose a lot of weight after solids its about 1-2 pounds a week.

I was loosing a pound a day until I stopped walking 2-4 miles a night. I was so excited about that amount of scale movement.

Congrats on a job well done.

I wish you much continued success.

18 Again

Oh yeah, back to working out! Been told to stay away from lifting weights for 6 weeks, but I'm up to 45-60 minutes a day on a treadmill or elliptical. It's hard if you haven't really exercised before to start the routine, but I feel so much better for doing it. We can do it, y'all!

Melissa

No I have not had a fill yet. I go on Dec 7/07 for my first one I refer to it as the honeymoon period as that is what I have read on this site and Canadian Bandsters before I had surgery. From the time you have surgery until you go on solids you loose a lot of weight after solids its about 1-2 pounds a week.

I was loosing a pound a day until I stopped walking 2-4 miles a night. I was so excited about that amount of scale movement.

Congrats on a job well done.

I wish you much continued success.

18 Again

COngrats to you as well! We all need a little well wishing to get through this rough time before fills...LOL SO GOOD LUCK!! I will be fighting hard against the scale and it is sooo nice to have support from others who are in the same situation! THANKS!

I was told to stay away from weights for 4 weeks so I had my first venture back to the gym today. I used lighter weights and only did one set of 10 reps for everything as a test run. I also did half an hour of walking on the treadmill - it feels really good to be starting my gym program again. Up until now I have been doing a home based program of stretches and gentle fitball exercises and also hydrotherapy - both programmes were checked by a physio before I started doing them. :P

I spent years convincing myself that running around after kids was exercise - whilst i got fatter and fatter.

I run an hour probably three days a week atm and then generally fit in a spin class and a long swim 2kms or so - I was running five days but have cut down because my sciatic nerve is giving me huge grief in my right leg at the moment, a problem I've had since my first pregnancy 12 years ago.

Now I've gotten beyond goal though, I dont need a Tummy Tuck but I'm a bit upset about the amount of flab I have. I really think I do need to get back to the gym and take strength training seriously.

I have lots of lame excuses not to exercise : I'm tired after work, I do Bible study in the morning so can't exercise before work; I need to eat lunch on my lunch hour; my joints ache so it's too painful, I hate to sweat and can't do another shower because I have to do laundry and there is only so much hot Water to go around.... blah blah blah. All excuses. I've whipped myself into shape "emotionally" and started exercising despite the excuses. The pain is better already, and voila - the laundry got done anyway. If you hate to exercise, just do it anyway - we all do things we "hate" on a routine basis (like pay bills, pick up dog poop, etc.) and so this "hated activity" of exercise truthfully isn't going to kill us. There's also a bigger payoff than you get from other hated activities (like picking up dog poop, LOL!)

I've not been to faithful with the excercise thing. I want to walk 1/2 hour a day until week 6 but in Canada it is cold! I hate being cold. But I got out yesterday and will today. I start back at horse back riding tomorrow. I do have a gym membership. I just have to make myself- so hard, I can be so stuborn.

Hi all- I have started exercising and am sooo happy I did. I had initially lost 25 pounds. Then for a few weeks I would go up 4 pounds and then lose four pounds. I kept fluctuating between those same 4 pounds. I started exercising and I finally lost those four pounds and have lost 3 more. So I am at a 28 pound lost. It is so hard that first week or two to get into the habit, but I find once I get into doing it daily I start to want to exercise. I feel so much better. The weight it starting to come off again after a few weeks and I am starting to tone up. Let's all try to start getting in some daily exerice. I even just started with telling myself I would do 20 minutes on the treadmill and I can stop after that. I have now started increasing length and speed. Walking is something that you can really start to see increase in endurance really quickly. I have also started to light hand weights and leg/butt/thigh toning exercises every day. I can already notice my body shape returning and I am getting muscle tone. We can do it!!! Exercise! Exercise! Exercise! Just start with something- atleast do anything that is more than you were. For some that may be 10-15 minutes walking or toning exerices sitting in a chair. For others they may be able to start with more. Just start something- you will start feeling better, having more energy, and will be able to increase activity the the more you do it! Exercise is a best friend to our bands- let's get those best friends together and lose this weight!!!

I have lots of lame excuses not to exercise : I'm tired after work, I do Bible study in the morning so can't exercise before work; I need to eat lunch on my lunch hour; my joints ache so it's too painful, I hate to sweat and can't do another shower because I have to do laundry and there is only so much hot Water to go around.... blah blah blah. All excuses.

Me too Holly :eek:. I just feel like I have absolutely no time, but in my heart I am fat and lazy. :( And the sweat thing, absolutely!!!!

Thanks for this thread, and Congrats Carrot :(

Carrot....thanks for the pep-talk...i needed it, i've just been walking the dog twice a day, i'm about 2 weeks post banding.....you reminded me how great you feel after excercising..the hardest part is getting started...think i'll go join the gym tonite .... eileen