Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It’s been over 5 weeks since my surgery, only lost about 16 pounds. Got over the all-liquid diet and have graduated to solids bug am still eating too much. Five weeks in and i should be about 40 pounds down, so more depressed than ever.

*hugz*

It's hard to adapt to such a major change. You often gain weight initially with the surgery because of IV fluids and swelling, so sometimes you weight much the same as surgery day a week or two later.

Are you finding you don't have much restriction when eating solids so are eating too much? or are you eating too frequently so that you are eating too much overall? Or eating the wrong kind of foods rather than focusing on lean Proteins? Are you drinking calories?

Tracking what you are eating and how much with something like MyFitnessPal is really good for keeping track of your calories, Protein targets etc.

You have your sleeve tool now, a physical restrictive tool to help manage food quantity, but the rest of the key to success and weight loss post op is winning the mental game. It's resisting the call of mental cravings and emotional eating, and stopping eating when your body has had enough to feed it, not when you feel stuffed full, or continuing to eat past full because you are enjoying or wanting the taste of more food. Seek counselling and other supports to deal with stressors which were previously driving you to eat excessively.

And accept that sometimes we will still mess up because we are human. Still love yourself. Pick yourself up and try to do better next time.

Wishing you the best of luck going forward hun.

In this game there is no should as we all lose at different rates. I was initially depressed because it felt like the weight was coming off slow. Do you know for a fact that you're eating too much? Are you logging? I am in my 12th week and I am still on the plus side of 300. Keep your chin up. At least you have some idea of what you might be doing wrong. Go back to logging just for the purposes of data. :-)

Yea, I would make sure you’re logging your food & look back on what you are eating and how much of it.

Mid you’re really struggling, try making an appointment with your nutritionist to see where you may need to tweak a few things.

Edited by Bryn910

Yea, I would make sure you’re logging your food & look back on what you are eating and how much of it.
Mid you’re really struggling, try making an appointment with your nutritionist to see where you may need to tweak a few things.

Everyone loses at a different pace. Are you noticing your clothes don't fit? I'm close to six weeks post op and have lost about 19 pounds but the majority of my clothes are too big. I feel better and my energy levels have increased. Don't focus too much on the scale.

Sleeved on April 25, 2018
HW: 256
SW: 238
CW: 220
GW: 165

3 hours ago, Dthomas4505 said:

It’s been over 5 weeks since my surgery, only lost about 16 pounds. Got over the all-liquid diet and have graduated to solids bug am still eating too much. Five weeks in and i should be about 40 pounds down, so more depressed than ever.

Stop focusing on the scale, esp if it doesn't do body fat, because if not, then you are a missing a rather important metric. I've been stick at 258 for the past 5 days now... but my body fat has dropped .7%, so if I didn't see the body fat dropping, And all the working out, muscle building, eating right, hitting my Protein and Water marks, and still not losing weight, I'd lose my damn mind. Hell, even having the body fat % numbers dropping, it's still frustrating.

If you are eating too much, **YOU** need to fix that. This whole process isn't easy, it requires major changes.
Also, stop worrying about what you "should" have lost, there is nothing and no one that can tell you exactly what you should have lost, because no-one is the same, everyone loses as different rates and from different parts of the body first. Just focus on the things **YOU** Personally can control. Your protein intake, your water intake and how much exercise you are actually doing.

General basic exercise "requirements" are 30 mins a day, for normal people. WLS patients really should be hitting 60+, every single day. And muscle building **SHOULD** be part of your exercise program. Fat loss and Muscle building. It's far too early to start feeling like you failed. Take control of the process and get back to the struggle. It's worth it.

Good Luck

You got this!

6 hours ago, Dthomas4505 said:

5 weeks since my surgery, only lost about 16 pounds

Hi Newbie

Welcome, welcome and welcome!:rolleyes:

you've lost 16 lbs in 5 weeks?!! That's great!!

i"ve heard from OP that losing 10 lb a month is good/average

what does your doc/NUT say?

Who said you should be down about 40 lbs??

Follow directions from doc/NUT

please don't be sad/blue.

good luck bud

kathy

6 hours ago, Taoz said:

You have your sleeve tool now, a physical restrictive tool to help manage food quantity, but the rest of the key to success and weight loss post op is winning the mental game. It's resisting the call of mental cravings and emotional eating, and stopping eating when your body has had enough to feed it, not when you feel stuffed full, or continuing to eat past full because you are enjoying or wanting the taste of more food. Seek counselling and other supports to deal with stressors which were previously driving you to eat excessively.

YES YES YES - thats me yelling and in person it included my sailor language between each yes :)

Edited by allwet

7 hours ago, Dthomas4505 said:

Five weeks in and i should be about 40 pounds down, so more depressed than ever.

Where did you get that you should be down over 40 lbs at 5 weeks? It seems to me that you had unrealistic expectations from this surgery.

I lost 10 pounds the first week after my surgery because I stayed on the strict liquid diet. Now I have been drinking calories and also eating to the point of fullness, so I know what I am doing and WHY I have been stuck. I know it's me. I've been trying to get back on track and have good days and do really well then at night I blow it and overeat. I didn't go to all this trouble and expense to only lose 20 pounds, but I know I should be farther along and I am not because of ME. The depression of being laid off from work is certainly not helping and having to look for another job still being this heavy is definitely messing with my confidence. I am going to try to stay positive and get back on the liquid/pureed diet this week, hopefully to "jump start" my mental state. Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support!!

9 hours ago, Dthomas4505 said:

16lbs is a great success. Honestly, my surgeon said between 2-4lbs per week. I can't see your stats or anything, but imagine if you continued to loose 3lbs per week, at the end of a year... you would be down 152lbs.... Now, its unlikely you'd loose that amount every week, nor would you loose every week, but you have to consider the long game!