Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Totally Failing at this Pre Op Diet

I am having surgery in 2 days and today is my first day of pre-op diet (clear liquid diet). My doctor never told me that I have to be on pre-op diet routine. So I am surprised to see all the posts!

My surgery is July 31st and that is my worst fear not being able to do the pre op diet. I've been trying to wean myself off of certain foods now so that I will be a success. Hang in there good luck and you can do it

5 hours ago, lse5237 said:

I am having surgery in 2 days and today is my first day of pre-op diet (clear liquid diet). My doctor never told me that I have to be on pre-op diet routine. So I am surprised to see all the posts!

I never had a pre op diet. Just Clear Liquids the day before.

My surgeon told me he saw at a seminar that the liver shrinking is so minimal, it makes no difference with the surgery, so he doesn't require a pre op diet. Lucky me, because it looks like it would be a living hell, lol.

I start my pre-op in 3 days i want to be able to get through it but only time will tell.

I wish you the best for the next 6 days and hope all goes well for you.

13 hours ago, Greensleevie said:

I never had a pre op diet. Just Clear Liquids the day before.

My surgeon told me he saw at a seminar that the liver shrinking is so minimal, it makes no difference with the surgery, so he doesn't require a pre op diet. Lucky me, because it looks like it would be a living hell, lol.

Exactly the same here, no preop diet, just clear and a colon prep the day before surgery.

I had a liver biopsy at the time of surgery. It came out healthy and pink, with no sign of fatty liver disease.

I also would have been terrible at a preop diet, I thoroughly enjoyed my food funerals!

Maybe I shouldn’t even say this. But my diet was an unsweetened Protein Drink for two meals, and a dinner of a good Protein serving and veggies. I felt like I was literally starving every day though the second week was easier than the first (2 total). I did it to shrink the liver, I forced myself because I had only one small window of time last year to have the surgery.

Then when I flew up to meet the surgeon the day before surgery I told him how hard it was and how hungry I was all day and he said, “oh, then you could have added another protein drink!”

File under the Now You Tell Me page.

You can do it gully90!! I know exactly how you feel, at the end I thought if I had to see one more can of 98% fat free chicken Soup I would🤮!!! I am 2 1/2 weeks post op!! It’s hard but the end results will be worth it because we are worth it!!

Beauty1973 I am going to be a JULY firecracker like you although I am built round like a cherry bomb. If you can do it I can too. Let's rock this surgery and our whole month together. Anybody else going to join us?🙆&💇

On 06/04/2018 at 12:44, stacy@5 said:

You can do it gully90!! I know exactly how you feel, at the end I thought if I had to see one more can of 98% fat free chicken Soup I would🤮!!! I am 2 1/2 weeks post op!! It’s hard but the end results will be worth it because we are worth it!!
Thank you!! Today is the last day and then tomorrow is all liquids

The preop was hard. I had a few nibbles here and there, nothing too drastic. The Protein drinks/soups did make me poo a lot so nothing stayed too long in my system.

The best thing I did was drinking so much Water. I managed 3+ litres a day. I usually drink a lot of water of a day and to bump up my night intake I drank from a wine glass.