Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery/recovery room timeframes

At my pre op My surgeon said surgery RNY will take 2 and a half hours, I will be in recovery until im fully awake, and doing ok. Then they will take me to my room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

27 minutes ago, Kimbero said:

At my pre op My surgeon said surgery RNY will take 2 and a half hours, I will be in recovery until im fully awake, and doing ok. Then they will take me to my room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

You go tomorrow, right? Lmk how accurate that is....lol. Good luck and in all seriousness, post how u are doing when u get time. Sending lots of prayers!

2 hours ago, Chrisb428 said:

Sorry that happened. Im hoping to get back to my room and see familiar faces ASAP im having anxiety already about being in there alone. Not usually like that. Heck, its still at least 2 mos away!

My family was allowed to come see me in the recovery area, since the staff knew it would be a while before I got to my own room.

Something is wrong here- I DO,NOT, REMEMBER MY RECOVERY ROOM AT OSU!
It is not. my First Time at the Rodeo, I have had 8 surgical losses of consciousness, 4 I woke up in Ambulatory/Short Stay Step down and went home an hour,or so,later.
Then rest were all inpatient, 3 different Hospitals and I can give you a FACT about each wake-up. Why,is this time different?
September 5th I was treated with kindness, gentleness and except for 15 minutes when their presurgery drink pushed my blood surgery artificially high things were WONDERFUL. Remember being pushed down hall to elevator, first bed I had ever ridden in that didn't have and errant wheel or run crooked.Thought for once I had gotten a place whose equipment wasn't broke. Operating Room very welcoming, not super cold, Dr Needleman waved at me from halfway across the room, I THINK it was him but since everyone gowned could have been another staff member. But I still thought How very NICE of them to do that! When we got me settled onto the table, everthing fit, many times before I felt like tables were too narrow and I was going to fall off. As they got things adjusted there was no yanking my arms out like they were getting ready to crucify me. That had been one of my worries. The anesthesiologist asked if I was comfortable and I slid off so smoothly it was like I was awake and then I wasn't. The next thing I knew I was waking up in my room, stretched like I was waking up in the morning, my son the Tomkitten said Hi Mom, how are you doing? No pain , my room which was private was very pretty for being institutional, bright gently sunny and on the 10th floor of Doan Hall. Now I don't,like heights but still had enough "happy juice" I didn't mind that. But the Recovery Room, was it so bad that my mind had submerged,it, did they let me just stay submerged the whole time? What gives, there's an hout, hour and half thst is forever missing. And I don't comprehend it all.

On 09/17/2018 at 05:10, Frustr8 said:

It is not. my First Time at the Rodeo, I have had 8 surgical losses of consciousness, 4 I woke up in Ambulatory/Short Stay Step down and went home an hour,or so,later.

Then rest were all inpatient, 3 different Hospitals and I can give you a FACT about each wake-up. Why,is this time different?

September 5th I was treated with kindness, gentleness and except for 15 minutes when their presurgery drink pushed my blood surgery artificially high things were WONDERFUL. Remember being pushed down hall to elevator, first bed I had ever ridden in that didn't have and errant wheel or run crooked.Thought for once I had gotten a place whose equipment wasn't broke. Operating Room very welcoming, not super cold, Dr Needleman waved at me from halfway across the room, I THINK it was him but since everyone gowned could have been another staff member. But I still thought How very NICE of them to do that! When we got me settled onto the table, everthing fit, many times before I felt like tables were too narrow and I was going to fall off. As they got things adjusted there was no yanking my arms out like they were getting ready to crucify me. That had been one of my worries. The anesthesiologist asked if I was comfortable and I slid off so smoothly it was like I was awake and then I wasn't. The next thing I knew I was waking up in my room, stretched like I was waking up in the morning, my son the Tomkitten said Hi Mom, how are you doing? No pain , my room which was private was very pretty for being institutional, bright gently sunny and on the 10th floor of Doan Hall. Now I don't,like heights but still had enough "happy juice" I didn't mind that. But the Recovery Room, was it so bad that my mind had submerged,it, did they let me just stay submerged the whole time? What gives, there's an hout, hour and half thst is forever missing. And I don't comprehend it all.

Lol i don’t remember much either. I know I remember my Dr saying hello in the OR, finding out I was getting a catheter soon as I went to sleep (not happy) and then the anesthesiologist saying I’m about to get sleepy. Next thing I know people kept calling my name. I remember my mom coming to the post op area and I was crying because they only let her stay for a minute. Then the nurse kept saying push your pain button but I was in so much pain and so drugged up to even lift anything lol. I remember the guy in the curtain over being loud AF trying to take his gown off and the nurse kept telling him he can’t do that lol. Next thing I know I woke up in my room crying AGAIN but this time my mom was on the couch.

On 09/17/2018 at 05:10, Frustr8 said:

Lol i don’t remember much either. I know I remember my Dr saying hello in the OR, finding out I was getting a catheter soon as I went to sleep (not happy) and then the anesthesiologist saying I’m about to get sleepy. Next thing I know people kept calling my name. I remember my mom coming to the post op area and I was crying because they only let her stay for a minute. Then the nurse kept saying push your pain button but I was in so much pain and so drugged up to even lift anything lol. I remember the guy in the curtain over being loud AF trying to take his gown off and the nurse kept telling him he can’t do that lol. Next thing I know I woke up in my room crying AGAIN but this time my mom was on the couch.

I hate been crabby,but why is my experience so different? was there something majorly wrong with me?
Tomkitten waited in the fifth,floor attrium, very pretty,reminds one,of an conservatory. And while I'm undergoing,my surgery he has a pager and a card with my patient number and color- coding, starting with arriving/ checking in at registration.clear up to" in patient room waiting for family/significant other". According to this. I spent significant time in recovery, can't prove it by me. No,urinary catheter, no pain button to push, if I needed pain meds they must have gone,in my IV, never,had to ask for any. No gas, not,even drop of gas pain. Wore the same patient gown all time through, so no bath, no shower, none offered. Kept same IV they started before surgery. First,one,i can remember than didn't infiltrate, didn't roll. Took me to bathroom once, so I do,know what it looked like, rest if time from then on , bedside commode to the foot and slightly,to left of my,bed. Measured my output, must of have been q.s. because no one asked me to increase intake. First day was Water, then flavored water. Second day milky drinks in multiple flavors. Third day they sent me home, with a bunch of different bottles, all with OSU crest, still didn't mind the free advertising. Never did get,what I though a meal would be, chicken broth, sugar free, pudding, popsicles, Jello -Nada. They,took me with a walker once,down the,hall to nurses station and then back, again. Never, never left my room again. I didn't swoon,i didn't stumble, why was I put on room arrest? Yes, I had my Tomkitten , without him it would have been flippen lonely in that private room, I never was allowed. to potty myself, had to wake for help every time. Oh they did come every time, but as i look back, why did I have to beg? When I look back, I worked Long Term Care ( aka nursing home) for yearns my patients/clients seldom. had to ring because I checked on them frequently. The only monitoring I had was EKG leads, this way if I had a stroke or 💔 attack,Tomkitten wouldn't have to walk to the hall to tell them. I was allowed up in the bedside chair once so they could straighten my bed.
Now contrast that with an account from earlier Bariatric Pal days " Dr Procter did my surgery in the morning, who should I see but Sandie Smithley, who I knew from going to Dr Procter's office? She had her surgery early the same afternoon. The rest,of our time there we took our walks together, and even now since we both went home, we check up on each,other frequently" Now who had the more righteous surgical experience?
Perhaps I should have begged them to take,me for walks in the hall? But on the other hand at 72 why should I have to BEG for anything? Am I fit for only ignoring? There is enough "age contempt" in the world without them adding to it! I realize this thread was not started in the Rants section but perhaps my answer should be.💦😳💦

On 5/27/2018 at 4:47 PM, Chrisb428 said:

I know it may seem strange, but Im curious. If everything goes as expected, how long is surgery and recovery room time. Hiw long from the time they take me to the OR until i get to go back to my room and see my family? Will i be alert enough to socialize with them right away when i get back or how mucj longer yet is that. Finding new things to stress and worry about....lol

My surgery was over 3 times longer than it should have been for a Band removal revision to RNY. I arrived at 6am, was in prep by 630 and was in the surgical suite by 730-800. I was awake and coherent before around the same time my bed made it back to the recovery room. My family was allowed in at that point (once I was awake) From there I did a little light walking, then I was wheeled up to my room within an hour or so. I was then in my room for the rest of day 1, 2 overnights and I was home before 1pm on the 3rd day of my stay.

And that's the story of this group, but we are all different in the midst of sameness, and that is okay. And each of us are the author of our own Story but we may happen to walk side by side for a while.👣😛

I had surgery at noon and was not even close to wanting visitors till about 10 pm. I was too drowsy and in pain