Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had Single Incision Gastric Sleeve? Results please?

Hello sleevers. I haven’t had my surgery yet but I’m really considering getting a Single Incision Gastric Sleeve. I know it costs more but would be so worth it to have only one incision instead of 3-5. I’ve researched the procedure for months and chosen a highly recommended surgeon in Tijuana, Mexico (Dr. Ponce de Leon). I wanted to hear from those who have had this procedure done. Were your results the same or at least similar to those who had the traditional laparoscopic sleeve? What was your pain level? Was your stomach sore and for how long? I just wanted to get a general idea of what my recovery would be like even though I realize every body is different. Thank you for your responses in advance. I’d appreciate any info on your experience.

I had regular vsg but wish I would’ve looked more into doing SILS, I know my scars will fade, but I get sad everytime I look at them. On the bright side, I’m four weeks out and 20 lbs down. Just hoping I can keep the weight off.

46 minutes ago, mtbmom said:

I had regular vsg but wish I would’ve looked more into doing SILS, I know my scars will fade, but I get sad everytime I look at them. On the bright side, I’m four weeks out and 20 lbs down. Just hoping I can keep the weight off.

Are you using any type of scar treatment? I am using silicone tape, and my scars are quite faded.

11 hours ago, newlifeat41 said:

Hello sleevers. I haven’t had my surgery yet but I’m really considering getting a Single Incision Gastric Sleeve. I know it costs more but would be so worth it to have only one incision instead of 3-5. I’ve researched the procedure for months and chosen a highly recommended surgeon in Tijuana, Mexico (Dr. Ponce de Leon). I wanted to hear from those who have had this procedure done. Were your results the same or at least similar to those who had the traditional laparoscopic sleeve? What was your pain level? Was your stomach sore and for how long? I just wanted to get a general idea of what my recovery would be like even though I realize every body is different. Thank you for your responses in advance. I’d appreciate any info on your experience.

I don't know much about the single incision. But the scars from traditional VSG are really small. I would want to make sure I'm going with a technique that has been well tested, rather than a potentially riskier one just for the sake of a few tiny scars. And I am a fairly vain person, I'm not the type to dismiss these type of concern, but truly, the scars are tiny and fading with the silicone tape I'm using.

16 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I would want to make sure I'm going with a technique that has been well tested, rather than a potentially riskier one just for the sake of a few tiny scars.

This.

Ask your surgeon how many single incisions he's done and what the complication rate was compared to multiple incision surgeries. He should be able to show you the data. Also ask the length of the single incision compared to the length of each of the multiples.

Before making a decision, watch this surgery being done on Youtube.

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

Are you using any type of scar treatment? I am using silicone tape, and my scars are quite faded.

I don't know much about the single incision. But the scars from traditional VSG are really small. I would want to make sure I'm going with a technique that has been well tested, rather than a potentially riskier one just for the sake of a few tiny scars. And I am a fairly vain person, I'm not the type to dismiss these type of concern, but truly, the scars are tiny and fading with the silicone tape I'm using.

Thank you for the feedback. My surgeon said he would do his best to offer the single incision but if he finds that it is too complicated he will add another one or two incisions to ensure that the surgery is properly done. I had the same concerns as you expressed but the surgeon I’m using has a great reputation and I trust his judgement. Thanks again for taking the time to give me your opinion.

I have read studies done comparing the two and according to those studies and the research available the results in terms of weight loss are almost identical.

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

This.

Ask your surgeon how many single incisions he's done and what the complication rate was compared to multiple incision surgeries. He should be able to show you the data. Also ask the length of the single incision compared to the length of each of the multiples.

Before making a decision, watch this surgery being done on Youtube.

I have looked it up on YouTube and the technique is basically the same as the traditional except the portion of the stomach that is being removed will come out through the one incision which is done through the belly button. You are right the one incision will be slightly larger than the one that is made during the traditional one but keep in mind, either way one incision is larger than the rest because they have to remove the stomach from the larger incision. In any case the surgeon I’m using has a great reputation and has been doing WLS for over 20 years. I trust his expertise and he did advise me that there may be an extra incision or two if he runs into complications with the single incision method. They only offer this technique if you have a BMI of less than 40. Some practices will require a BMI of less than 37 I think. I’ll just trust in my surgeon. I’ve been researching for months and I think he’s qualified to do this procedure the best way possible. Worst case scenario I’ll end up getting a traditional gastric sleeve which isn’t so bad at all.

Thanks for caring enough to give me your input. I appreciate your advice!

Edited by newlifeat41

I'm a surgical nurse, and I've got to tell you, I'm not impressed with single incision site surgeries. I've seen too many surgeons struggle with getting the right angle and approach to do the actual procedure and it just seems like a handicap. I'd much rather deal with multiple incisions knowing that the surgeon has the ease of getting the exact angle he needs for the very best staple lines.

2 minutes ago, KCgirl061 said:

I'm not impressed with single incision site surgeries. I've seen too many surgeons struggle with getting the right angle and approach to do the actual procedure and it just seems like a handicap. I'd much rather deal with multiple incisions knowing that the surgeon has the ease of getting the exact angle he needs for the very best staple lines.

This is my impression, too. The location of the spleen scares the hell out of me, too.

That said....if the surgeon has a TON of experience doing surgery this way, they can get very good at it and do it very safely. I'm encouraged to see the OP's doc discloses that there might be additional ports/incisions if there are complications...I think that's a very important disclosure and also a prudent thing to do if the angle isn't working.

I have to say, as I’m almost 9 months out, my scars are barely visible. I had no idea they wld be so small and have faded so well. Grant it, they seemed huge and red at first but honestly, you’ll be super impressed with how small and barely noticeable they are. Honestly, I don’t know if anyone wld even notice unless I drew attention to them.

Sleeved 8/7/17 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 180 on 5/3/18 5'7" GW: 150

11 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

I'm a surgical nurse, and I've got to tell you, I'm not impressed with single incision site surgeries. I've seen too many surgeons struggle with getting the right angle and approach to do the actual procedure and it just seems like a handicap. I'd much rather deal with multiple incisions knowing that the surgeon has the ease of getting the exact angle he needs for the very best staple lines.

You are right dear. Many surgeons have decided to stop offering this option due to the complexity of the technique. However, I feel like (as Creekimp 13 mentioned) if the surgeon has experience in this particular procedure and has mastered it I can rest assured. As I mentioned, worst case he’ll perform a traditional sleeve on me with more incisions which as many have mentioned heal quite nicely.

Thanks for that input though. I would agree with you if the surgeon I’m going with had not completed several single incision sleeves. Experience is extremely important. I appreciate you replying and expressing your concern. It really shows that you cared enough to warn me or at least give me a heads up. 🤗 I’m curious though if the surgeon is struggling, why wouldn’t they just add an additional incision to get a better angle? Did any of these surgeons you mentioned tell the patient beforehand that a single incision may not be possible if he or she ran into any complications? I feel like that should have been discussed. Thanks again.

11 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

This is my impression, too. The location of the spleen scares the hell out of me, too.

That said....if the surgeon has a TON of experience doing surgery this way, they can get very good at it and do it very safely. I'm encouraged to see the OP's doc discloses that there might be additional ports/incisions if there are complications...I think that's a very important disclosure and also a prudent thing to do if the angle isn't working.

Yes, dear. This was explicitly stated to me beforehand. This surgeon does do many single incisions, in fact he is one of only three I know of in Tijuana, Mexico offering this method. I have this mentality— the end result is a portion of your stomach being removed, for the sleeve he uses a 36F bougie regardless of single or more incisions, so why have more incisions to deal with when you can have only one? I see your point about making it more difficult to get a good angle or a clean staple line etc. but he made it clear that his goal was to perform this procedure as close to perfect as possible and if that means more incisions he stated to me that he’d rather do an extra incision to ensure my sleeve is done well. I’m ok with that. He even stated that if I needed more than one incision then he’d refund me the extra $1000 charged for having a single. I’m not looking to get that $ back but it does show that if he can’t deliver on that aspect he’s not going to hold me to paying the extra $. Some consolation I guess 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I’m sorry I’m rambling but I’m very scared and nervous and I’m just trying to get as many opinions on this as possible. As much as I’m scared to do this, I’m more scared of struggling like this for the rest of my life. This forum at least allows me to put it out there and so many helpful and genuinely good people like you are kind enough to reply and give me an honest up front opinion.

I’m praying that this will work for me. I’m sooooo ready to start really living my life again. I want to go out and socialize and not hate looking in the mirror. I want to finally believe that I do look good. My kids and husband keep saying that I do but I won’t believe it until I’m actually at the weight I want to be.

Thanks for listening!

10 hours ago, Allie589 said:

I have to say, as I’m almost 9 months out, my scars are barely visible. I had no idea they wld be so small and have faded so well. Grant it, they seemed huge and red at first but honestly, you’ll be super impressed with how small and barely noticeable they are. Honestly, I don’t know if anyone wld even notice unless I drew attention to them.

Thanks for sharing that because more than one incision is a definite possibility for me. I’m curious if you used any creams or lotions to make them fade more quickly or did they just fade on their own?

Also, excellent results! Wow!! 68 pounds down. Very impressive. Congratulations! Did most of that come off in the first few months or were you lucky enough to be a steady loser? Great work! You should be proud!! At 5’7” I bet you look amazing at 180 pounds!!

My surgeon is very experienced in the single incision VSG but even he hesitates to do it. I’ll tell you this honestly, he did 4 incisions for me and they are TINY. I’m talking mm not inches. 15 days out and they’re basically completely healed. No regrets. I returned to work today and actually showed them to the people there and they were amazed. They couldn’t even spot 2 of them! Also, I carry my weight in my tummy, so I know I’m going to need a tuck as soon as I stabilize my weight. With how small they are, they won’t be noticed and with the plastics, I’m not worried at all.
Also, arnica cream works wonders!

Thanks for sharing that because more than one incision is a definite possibility for me. I’m curious if you used any creams or lotions to make them fade more quickly or did they just fade on their own?
Also, excellent results! Wow!! 68 pounds down. Very impressive. Congratulations! Did most of that come off in the first few months or were you lucky enough to be a steady loser? Great work! You should be proud!! At 5’7” I bet you look amazing at 180 pounds!!

Thank you! Gotta tell you, the craziest part of this journey has been allowing myself to enjoy my success bc I’m so terrified of failure, especially now that I feel so much better. My social anxiety has gone away and I’m actually kinda digging not wanting to be invisible anymore. My loss has definitely slowed down and I wasn’t lucky enough to be spared from Hair loss. I actually didn’t use any creams. I honestly didn’t even think about it. Here are some pics of me. The one in the tank top was the night before surgery. IMG_7331.JPG IMG_8284.JPG
IMG_7332.JPG IMG_8280.JPG

You look fabulous. The social anxiety is one of the main reasons I’m having this procedure done. From what I’ve read and heard about Hair loss, it does grow back and yours looks full and thick anyway. Great inspiration.

Thank you so much for sharing!!