Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Follow Ups for Life?

25 months out and recently had my 2 year follow up with my surgeon. He said he wants to see me again next year. I asked how many years does he want me to follow up. He said forever. Huh!? Really? No complications. No issues from surgery. Anyone else doing a one year follow up with their surgeon for the rest of their life?

That's what my surgeon says.

Most surgeons do. Bariatrics, I feel, is a whole new ball game/specialty to doctors & medicine in general. Even though WLS isn’t that new. I think it’s vital they follow up with you; you’re their art, their work and they want to keep track and make sure you don’t go off the wall as many WLS patients do.

Especially if you have a sleeve; the sleeve is somewhat new as a solitaire weight loss surgery (it was the first step in having RNY years ago); so it’s best for these surgeons and programs to follow & study patients.

I think you're right on the study part. They want to collect long term data. But, I have to pay for that and take time off work. It's one of those things like clothing with a company name and logo printed on them. I think they should pay us for that. We're giving them the data. If there is a problem, sure I can schedule an appointment and follow up. My surgeon doesn't do my blood work, my primary does. Also, my surgeon doesn't help me with my diet, my Registered dietitian does. So, how many people are still actually going to their surgeon 5 years out?

I just have to do my yearly follow up in November and that’s it. Just did my 6 month post op yesterday. But after November I am done unless I need them.

Just now, redhead_che said:

I just have to do my yearly follow up in November and that’s it. Just did my 6 month post op yesterday. But after November I am done unless I need them.

Wow, is that a tiny little waist I see in that avatar? Awesome!

1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Wow, is that a tiny little waist I see in that avatar? Awesome!

It is, ha! I’d love it if the tummy got that same memo ;P

Yearly for me forever! Lab work to make sure Vitamin levels are up to snuff. Support if I regain or want diet advice. My surgiversary is December so I’ve met my max out of pocket by then most years anyhow so whatever. Even if I hadn’t it’s a $20 copay. Totally worth it for the resources available to me.

I had the sleeve and no complications and have been at a normal BMI for going on four years (five since surgery)

My office recommends yearly blood work and a yearly visit forever, too. They've also mentioned that some people disappear after a few years, but they're always glad to see you again if you want to return.

I plan to go every year for at least five years cause I'm part of a study.

I'll probably do a few more years and then decide. I do appreciate his excellent work. Just thought it was like a year or two follow up. Maybe I'll switch to every other year then every 3 years or something like that.

I think my surgeon has 2 week, 2 month, 6 month, 12 month, 18 month then yearly follow ups (don't know for how long), but they don't have additional visit costs, they are included in the $3000 out of pocket costs with my surgeon.

I think,like you said Forever. At least,OSU shares the that same philosophy. I guess I look at it the opposite, it will,be nice to have a reunion every year. So much else is Slam Bam, Thank YOU Ma'am, NEXT! in this world. So at least with them it won't feel like benign neglect.😉

I plan to.

I have the for life follow ups too. I don’t know if I will make it to the forever but I see myself going for at least 5 years.