Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, as the title suggests I've been a member of the form for a while but just as a reader I haven't posted anything yet. I figured it was time to post my story so I could get some feedback, and possibly a little guidance.

My journey started about a year ago when I had made the final decision to go ahead with the gastric sleeve. I was very confident in my surgeon and was excited about the surgery. As per protocol, he did and endoscopy beforehand and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I had my sleeve gastrectomy done on August 28th 2017. Almost immediately, I noticed what I would call an agonizing amount of pain and extreme gastric reflux. This was before I was even off of my post-surgery liquid diet. Over the coming weeks it didn't get better, only worse.

I was continually told by my surgeon that it's normal, and it happens to some people. Within about 2 months the pain in my stomach to get better, at that point I was developing a pain on my right hand side below my rib cage. I had done some research, so I had a pretty good idea that it was my gallbladder. My surgeon agreed with me, and without even running any tests he decided to remove my gallbladder. My gallbladder was removed in January of 2018, and almost immediately I noticed the pain in my abdomen was gone. However, the gastric reflux still persisted.

In early February of this year by surgeon decided to do an endoscopy to see what could be causing the acid reflux. He told me that I had numerous moderate to severe ulcers and that revision surgery would be advised. I was scheduled for traditional gastric bypass on March 22nd of this year. I'm pleased to report that the gastric reflux has gone away. However, I'm not able to keep down any solid foods without violently regurgitating them. I was following my post surgery diet without any deviation. The first soft food that I tried was mashed potatoes, no salt or butter and it didn't go well. Almost immediately I violently regurgitated them. Within about three minutes of that I had some of the most excruciating pain I've ever had in my life, it started near my stomach and felt like a travel down. I told my wife that I had to go to the emergency room immediately, once I got there she called my surgeon. The surgeon conferred with the emergency room physician and ordered a CT scan with contrast. I was advised that my stomach was clear and I didn't have any blockages. My surgeon had told the emergency room physician to prescribe me Prilosec 40 mg and I was to take it twice a day until I saw him again.

A few days later I saw the surgeon, and he informed me that it was most likely an irritated stomach and that it was normal. This was about 3 weeks ago. I'm still not able to keep down any soft food of any type. I'm still on liquids, and even when I take in liquids I feel very uncomfortable. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, it's not cramping, it's not nausea or pain it's a very awkward feeling. At this point, I've decided to get a second opinion and had all my records sent to another surgeon.

I'm just curious if anyone has had these symptoms, rather these combination of symptoms or if anyone has any ideas for me to try.

If you're reading this and considering weight loss surgery please I implore you to not let this deter you. From people I've talked to and information I've read, this amount of side effects is very out of the ordinary. I've lost almost a hundred pounds since my first surgery and I am feeling pretty good other than the symptoms I've described.

Thanks everyone so much for taking the time to read, I look forward to any advice that can be offered. I hope everyone out there is doing great, and I wish everyone the best of luck and whatever stage of the journey they may be in!

So sorry that you're going through this. I hope they figure out the problem and fix it soon. Congrats on your weight loss so far. You're definitely doing this the "hard" way, though. ((hugs))

I'm sorry you are going through all this! So glad you found us!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

You should listen to your body and keep seeking help. We know when something isn’t right. I really hope things improve for you! Congratulations on the huge weight loss!

I agree ! You know your body the best! Awesome to seek out a second opinion. I hope you find an answer..... please let us know -everyone on this forum will be rooting for you!!! You came to the right place ... there may be someone who has gone through this & can add some advice.