Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bathroom problems since December sleeve

I had my sleeve done in December last year and have had excellent weight loss progress so far, but one thing that hasn't changed for me since my pre-op diet was that it hurts so incredibly bad to poop.

I haven't been able to poop sitting down at all since I started the pre-op diet, I was told to try a laxative back in December and the only thing that did was end up hurting me more because it didn't make the pain go away, it just made my body want to poop even more than it did before, but the pain was all the same, making me not want to go through with the process.

Now It's been a while but the problem still stands, what usually ends up happening for me is that I have to stand in the shower and squeeze it out little by little but the pain is still the same and it makes me dread the days until my body tells me it is time to do it all over again. I've read a couple of threads of post-op and haven't found anyone with this problem, in fact everything I have read so far shows me that nobody is having my same problem.

I'm afraid to try laxatives again because of that first time mentioned above, I don't want to go through that agony again.

Has anyone else had bathroom problems since their surgery? And if so how have you resolved the problem?

Ouch, sorry to hear that. What form of laxative did you try before that didn't work for you? Are your poops still very hard? You may need more of a stool softener rather than a laxative (the coloxyl with senna tablets I got and have used a couple of times are a combination of both softener and laxative).

Also look into getting a "squatty potty" to assist with a more comfortable/natural positioning of your legs while pooping?

Sounds like you may need a stool softener. My program suggested colace, which I personally use once in a while too. I also take Miralax daily, which helps a lot. If I miss even a single day I start to have problems... in fact it's my least favorite part of this whole process!

You have had this issue since BEFORE your surgery? I would see a GI doctor and get a colonoscopy, whatever is going on has nothing to do with your sleeve
GL

On 5/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, Akunasleeve said:

I had my sleeve done in December last year and have had excellent weight loss progress so far, but one thing that hasn't changed for me since my pre-op diet was that it hurts so incredibly bad to poop.

I haven't been able to poop sitting down at all since I started the pre-op diet, I was told to try a laxative back in December and the only thing that did was end up hurting me more because it didn't make the pain go away, it just made my body want to poop even more than it did before, but the pain was all the same, making me not want to go through with the process.

Now It's been a while but the problem still stands, what usually ends up happening for me is that I have to stand in the shower and squeeze it out little by little but the pain is still the same and it makes me dread the days until my body tells me it is time to do it all over again. I've read a couple of threads of post-op and haven't found anyone with this problem, in fact everything I have read so far shows me that nobody is having my same problem.

I'm afraid to try laxatives again because of that first time mentioned above, I don't want to go through that agony again.

Has anyone else had bathroom problems since their surgery? And if so how have you resolved the problem?

You could try Benefiber, that's what I use and it works really good.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, Imortalcandy said:

You have had this issue since BEFORE your surgery? I would see a GI doctor and get a colonoscopy, whatever is going on has nothing to do with your sleeve
GL

I agree. This doesn't sound like it's related to the occasional Constipation and hard stools a sleeved patient is prone to. The procedure may have made it worse by increasing hard to pass stools, BUT laxatives don't resolve the situation and the inability to move your bowels in a seated position/having to do it standing up doesn't seem to be something we could reasonably expect from the sleeve procedure. At the very least, let your bariatric doctor know and consider a GI consultation.

First, I would talk to a doctor about it. That doesn't seem "normal". A squatty potty is a lifesaver! It just makes the process so much easier. It sounds like you could benefit from a stool softener, but ,again, I would check with your doctor.

Don’t forget the gut bugs and feeding them. Make sure you are taking Probiotics (some commercial ones are worthless so vary which ones you take) and eating some resistant starch to feed them. They are an important part of digestion and doctors forget to mention them.

One soil based probiotic that saved me once when I had chronic d, is called Prescript Assist. Amazon has it. I take it daily since surgery too, just to make sure, because I can’t eat as much. If you can’t take pills, there are kids probiotics in powder form. And you can eat raw fermented veggies (find at Whole Foods etc). Of course there is yogurt, always good to eat high Protein plain full fat Greek style.

Resistant starch is found in lots of foods, but since we can’t eat much, best to choose one of the root veggies that has a high population. Potatoes both white and sweet. Highest resistant starch is after they’ve been cooked and cooled. Like potato salad. Or bake a bunch of potatoes and keep them in the fridge, add a part of one to each meal (feel free to warm it up for your meal, that doesn’t ale away the resistant starch content to be reheated). If you are too close out from surgery, there is another way. Use a powdered resistant starch like potato starch or inulin (NOT INSULIN, inulin comes from artichokes and tastes a bit sweet). Put a teaspoon in your smoothie or Protein Drink. Work up to a tablespoon.

Our gut bacteria population takes so much care of us - from our immune system to our moods to our digestion. It is a shame not to take care of them even if we’ve had WLS. They are still in there and we do need to keep the good ones happy. If you can even get 1 tablespoon of cheap and tasteless potato starch into one of your Protein Drinks today, tomorrow you will feel much better on the potty.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:04 PM, Akunasleeve said:

Like everyone else suggested definitely see a dr. I’m pre sleeve but I can tell you that I had both my kids by c section and if any other moms out there have done it this way they will back me up on this... pooping after a c section is the worst. Your stools are like rocks after all the narcotics your pumped full of. And this may be tmi but desperate times call for desperate measures but the only thing that worked for me and wasn’t extremely painful was to pre lube the area and then use a suppository. I also did start taking stool softeners asap and after the initial blockage was cleared it was a lot better. Definitely speak to a dr first but if they point you to stool softners and you need to get things going this would be the route to take.