Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG done5/10/18. 4 days out and I’m hungry. No, it’s not head hunger. I’m getting my fluids and Protein. I do have to eat slowly, but it’s not a problem for me to finish off 10oz of broth in 30 minutes. I didn’t have problems with fluids from the moment I woke up and I was walking within an hour of being moved from recovery to my room.

My plan says to increase calories and protein by 100/10g per day until I hit 800 calories and 75-90g of protein. On day three I had 400 calories and 40 protein.

I see my surgeon on Tuesday morning and plan to ask about this, but in the meantime, is it normal to be hungry so soon? I just see that most people struggle with Fluid, protein, nausea, pain ect when I had basically none of that.

I do have to eat slowly or I get that lovely chest pain and I do feel full on small amounts, but I’m hungry within an hour. Am I weird? Should I worry?

Any input would be great! Thanks as always you lovely people! :)

HW: 311

SW: 255

CW: 254

First goal weight: 191 lbs

Second goal weight: 159 lbs

Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

V8 was my best friend from day 1! Try it. Get it in a big bottle that way you aren't wasting. Also applesauce I started early to help the hunger.

moondoggie it might not be hinger at all. It can be acid secretion from your stomach pouch, your wounded tummy trying to heal and probably a couple other things that have slipped my,mind, your surgeon's office will know for,sure. Nut my bet is: not hunger.

moondoggie it might not be hinger at all. It can be acid secretion from your stomach pouch, your wounded tummy trying to heal and probably a couple other things that have slipped my,mind, your surgeon's office will know for,sure. Nut my bet is: not hunger.

I’ve never heard of this, so thank you for the information. I’m going to ask my doctor if I can start a little of the full liquid diet when I see him tomorrow morning. Maybe the applesauce or pudding.

SW: 255 VSG
CW: 252

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

You can be physically hungry as you are only getting 400 calories in for a day. You will feel more satisfied once you start real food. Your digestive system has a lot of work to do right now - healing - so relax and just take the stages as they come. It gets easier. I found the 'desire' for food greatly diminished, but if your stomach is empty you will notice that plus lots of digestive noises - rumbling, gas, etc.

You can be physically hungry as you are only getting 400 calories in for a day. You will feel more satisfied once you start real food. Your digestive system has a lot of work to do right now - healing - so relax and just take the stages as they come. It gets easier. I found the 'desire' for food greatly diminished, but if your stomach is empty you will notice that plus lots of digestive noises - rumbling, gas, etc.

This! This is it EXACTLY!!! I’m definitely hungry with tummy rumbling but once I eat a little I’m good for about an hour. I’m upping the Protein every day. So far today I’ve gotten in 43g. 415 calories so far. My NUT and surgeon want us up to 800 calories and 75-90g protein during phase 1-2. So I’m doing really well. I’ll wait to see until tomorrow.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

When I eat, I'm satisfied, but I also get hungry before my next planned "feeding" (LOL). Like you, I'm at 800 kcals per day.

I know for me, head hunger feels identical to physical hunger. I'm not saying you don't have physical hunger, because each of us are different.

For me, I realized I was hungry only when triggered by something, seeing a commercial, smelling food, or even thinking about food. If I eliminated those, the hunger disappeared. I also was able to determine it was head hunger because I was only hungry for certain, mostly "bad" foods, not chicken or veggies etc.

I was lucky, physical hunger didn't return for me until last week, about 12 weeks post op.

I know for me, head hunger feels identical to physical hunger. I'm not saying you don't have physical hunger, because each of us are different.
For me, I realized I was hungry only when triggered by something, seeing a commercial, smelling food, or even thinking about food. If I eliminated those, the hunger disappeared. I also was able to determine it was head hunger because I was only hungry for certain, mostly "bad" foods, not chicken or veggies etc.
I was lucky, physical hunger didn't return for me until last week, about 12 weeks post op.

Unfortunately I’m not so lucky. And I’m not craving bad foods either. I was able to learn the difference between head and real hunger (for myself) during the year long diet before surgery. This is that definitely empty tummy hunger. Luckily I haven’t craved anything bad, but just the thought of some cottage cheese or cream of wheat sounds delicious. I did get lucky that I already ate what I’m supposed to eat through the stages of recovery and lifelong. Not big on fried food or super sweet things. I ate well, I just ate too much lol.
Anyway, I wish that I wasn’t hungry this early, but what can I do? It does have the benefits of getting in the liquids and Protein I need during this phase, so there’s that at least.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

When I eat, I'm satisfied, but I also get hungry before my next planned "feeding" (LOL). Like you, I'm at 800 kcals per day.

[emoji23]I’m dead at the “feeding!” All of a sudden I pictured that scene with the cow and the raptors from Jurassic Park! [emoji23] But yes. That’s it. Hungry, easily full, then hungry.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

I only break my 4 meals/day routine occasionally, and that is to have a few nuts. So those days are 850 calorie days. B)

10 hours ago, moondoggie1983 said:

just the thought of some cottage cheese or cream of wheat sounds delicious. I did get lucky that I already ate what I’m supposed to eat through the stages

Definitely real hunger if Cream of Wheat sounds delicious :)

Are you allowed Jello or popsicles? That could give you something to "chew" at least?

OMG, me too! I’m freaked out that I’m hungry. Started last night after a 2 mi walk. I was sleeved on 5/9. Going to call my surgeon as soon as they open.
HW 255
SW 234
CW 230

I’m sitting in my surgeons office parking lot right now! [emoji23] I gave up with the WTF? and decided to drive down here today.

First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Definitely real hunger if Cream of Wheat sounds delicious [emoji4]
Are you allowed Jello or popsicles? That could give you something to "chew" at least?

I’ve eaten so many popsicles it’s crazy! [emoji38] I’ve got jello, but it’s the same deal. Hungry, small amount and full, then hungry again

First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC