Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow, Feeling Anxious About Weird Things

Tomorrow’s the day! I feel like it snuck up on me. I’ve spent the past 2 weeks taking care of my husband that I hardly noticed the time passing.

As I prepare for tomorrow, I can’t help but feel like I am not prepared. Even though I’ve probably purchased more things than necessary...

I have 4 different Soups prepared and frozen (I kid you not I’ve had my crockpots going for over 24 hours to make the bone broths and chicken stocks!) enough Premier Protein for the next several weeks, and several other brands/flavors in case the premier is a bust due to post-surgical changes. I’ve got Greek yogurt a-plenty, fairlife milk and almond milk. And I’ve spent all weekend in the kitchen cooking up meal after meal for the fam so I can have a full week to recover before the mom/wife duties resume...

I’ve got a ton of mini-plates (I have a collection now. I tend to collect oddities. I have a huge collection of coffee mugs, and now my obsession is decorative mini plates. I have issues LOL). I’ve got the spoons, forks, a plethora of different Vitamins because damn chewables are gross.

I even purchased a pillow wedge, toilet seat raiser, squatty potty, the colace/miralax/MoM/other various pooping aides...

Despite having what seems like an arsenal of items, I feel so underprepared. I guess my anxiety is rearing it’s head. I don’t feel nervous about the surgery itself, I feel nervous that I’m forgetting something important.

Anyone else feel like they had nonsensical worries before their surgery? The normal worries, complications in surgery, possible injury, or even non succeeding with the tool don’t plague me at all. Instead I’m paranoid that I don’t have enough plates, or that my Protein Powder will run out (even though realistically I probably have enough to last me a good 3 months straight) or that I won’t be able to take those terrible vitamins.

Slap some advice or tough love on me! I need some help getting out of my own head!

Tomorrow’s the day! I feel like it snuck up on me. I’ve spent the past 2 weeks taking care of my husband that I hardly noticed the time passing.

As I prepare for tomorrow, I can’t help but feel like I am not prepared. Even though I’ve probably purchased more things than necessary...

I have 4 different Soups prepared and frozen (I kid you not I’ve had my crockpots going for over 24 hours to make the bone broths and chicken stocks!) enough Premier Protein for the next several weeks, and several other brands/flavors in case the premier is a bust due to post-surgical changes. I’ve got Greek yogurt a-plenty, fairlife milk and almond milk. And I’ve spent all weekend in the kitchen cooking up meal after meal for the fam so I can have a full week to recover before the mom/wife duties resume...

I’ve got a ton of mini-plates (I have a collection now. I tend to collect oddities. I have a huge collection of coffee mugs, and now my obsession is decorative mini plates. I have issues LOL). I’ve got the spoons, forks, a plethora of different Vitamins because damn chewables are gross.

I even purchased a pillow wedge, toilet seat raiser, squatty potty, the colace/miralax/MoM/other various pooping aides...

Despite having what seems like an arsenal of items, I feel so underprepared. I guess my anxiety is rearing it’s head. I don’t feel nervous about the surgery itself, I feel nervous that I’m forgetting something important.

Anyone else feel like they had nonsensical worries before their surgery? The normal worries, complications in surgery, possible injury, or even non succeeding with the tool don’t plague me at all. Instead I’m paranoid that I don’t have enough plates, or that my Protein Powder will run out (even though realistically I probably have enough to last me a good 3 months straight) or that I won’t be able to take those terrible Vitamins.

Slap some advice or tough love on me! I need some help getting out of my own head!

Funny how we stress over things...im having my surgery on tuesday and I'm not stressing over anything that I don't have or things that I need or even the things that could go wrong... I'm stressing over the IV! I can't stand needles and this is my biggest worry lol[emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I was the same way. I kept thinking I was going to forget my ID, insurance card or the money for my co-payment! I checked my bag everyday for a week. I woke up the morning of surgery and felt like I was ready to conquer the world and I did! [emoji41]. Congratulations and I'll see you on the other side.

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 228
GW: 165

52 minutes ago, Kay07 said:

Anyone else feel like they had nonsensical worries before their surgery? The normal worries, complications in surgery, possible injury, or even non succeeding with the tool don’t plague me at all. Instead I’m paranoid that I don’t have enough plates, or that my Protein Powder will run out (even though realistically I probably have enough to last me a good 3 months straight) or that I won’t be able to take those terrible Vitamins.

Most of us had weeks to obsess like this before our surgery, but you were just too busy! Probably a good thing. You have handled absolutely everything that is in your power, now you have to trust your surgeon and your family and you will do great!

You sound very prepared, and it looks like you have everything that you will need! I totally understand—I am a list maker and had long lists of everything I needed to get, pack, etc. before surgery. I’m glad I did—it helped to have everything I needed. And everything went just fine for me. :)

You will do great. I wish you the best!

I’m thinking that we probably all overthink things - myself included. Pretty sure all you really need is your Water and Protein Drinks that first week! From everyone I read or know, it’s pretty limited. Pain meds for a couple days, rest, drink and some walking. Comfortable clothing. Walking shoes. Right? Good luck!!

Edited by Hope2018

I am still pre op as well, but after reading several of your posts and replies on various posts, U seem very ready! Don't let your nerves make you second guess yourself on it. I hope u have a good surgery and recovery experience. I might start creeping your posts so I can find out what u did and didn't end up needing or what you may have over/under prepped for. Since I am a few months behind, U can work out the kinks and I'll benefit...haha

Edited by Chrisb428

HAHA you sound exactly like my husband! He is always saying two is one and one is none. Can't complain though, because I never have to worry because he does enough for both of us. I think my 24 year old daughter got his slightly OCD gene because she literally makes packing lists for everyone before any trip. YOU ARE PREPARED, IT IS OKAY TO RELAX NOW!

It is also okay to let your family know you need them to help you. It might surprise you to see how much they actually want to help. One of my fondest memories is the lukewarm barely brown tea that my then 5 and 6 year old brought me while I was running a high fever and their Dad was at work. They followed my microwave hot chocolate instructions I had posted for them by the microwave (normally supervised).

Best of luck tomorrow, I'm glad things worked themselves out and you didn't have to postpone anything. I know how nerve racking this stage can be, you're well prepared and seem to have a good mind about everything. Now it's time to take a deep breath and try to relax a bit. Tomorrow will go down seamlessly and before you know it, you'll be up and about and feeling amazing.

Best of luck to you and to your husband, I'm glad to read that he's doing well and recovering.

I just thought of something silly to worry about. I will be having my surgery at Ohio,State University, team colors scarlet and gray, I have strawberry blonde hair, I am going to look plug ugly in those colors. What if they start giggling when they see me and can't complete the surgery? Now don't,your "sillies" sound better than that one? Smile and Rock Your Big Day😷

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I just thought of something silly to worry about. I will be having my surgery at Ohio,State University, team colors scarlet and gray, I have strawberry blonde hair, I am going to look plug ugly in those colors. What if they start giggling when they see me and can't complete the surgery? Now don't,your "sillies" sound better than that one? Smile and Rock Your Big Day😷

Frustr8 - as a lifelong Wolverine, I can tell you that everyone looks pretty nasty in scarlet and gray! :) You will actually make it look kinda good!

My surgery is tomorrow too. I have very little prepared (fluids and Soups for this week mostly) but I’m not worried about anything. My husband had the procedure five weeks ago so we kind of know what to expect if all goes according to plan. Congratulations and may God watch over you!

Well maybe I can rock it after all? Now to find out whether it will be Dr Noria(female) or Dr Needleman(male, older and Department Head) and when this wonderous day can be? After the 24th many more answers will come. Its been such a l*o*n*g. journey, did you know I started seeking bariatric surgery in August 2015? Sometimes I fear I will die before I complete it. That frightens me more than anything else about the process💦. I would be willing to have only local anesthesia rather than to be refused again. But I should have courage things will go well for me after all, shouldn't I? Oh Ms Topaz i,weary of it all.

Well maybe I can rock it after all? Now to find out whether it will be Dr Noria(female) or Dr Needleman(male, older and Department Head) and when this wonderous day can be? After the 24th many more answers will come. Its been such a l*o*n*g. journey, did you know I started seeking bariatric surgery in August 2015? Sometimes I fear I will die before I complete it. That frightens me more than anything else about the process. I would be willing to have only local anesthesia rather than to be refused again. But I should have courage things will go well for me after all, shouldn't I? Oh Ms Topaz i,weary of it all.

Frust8 - Don’t do it with a local! I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed at one time with a local at Darnall Army Hospital 1994. No one should be awake watching someone with what looks like a hammer and chisel chipping away at your teeth. Can’t imagine seeing my actual insides...I will anxiously await the 24th with you.