Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. it must feel unreal to finally be on the other side. I’m glad everything went as planned. it must be great to not be hungry anymore after all that preop dieting lol.

Have a fast recovery

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City [emoji4]

I got a little hungry today, but I realize it was head hunger trying to raise its head again. But I did feel hungry before getting the broth. 3 baby spoons later and it becomes a task because I’m no longer hungry but I know I need to get that Fluid in.

HW: 311
CW: 255
SW: 255
First goal weight: 191 lbs
Second goal weight: 159 lbs
Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

45 minutes ago, moondoggie1983 said:

Where in NC?

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

I live in Wendell, work in Cary and I am having surgery in durham. You?

I live in Wendell, work in Cary and I am having surgery in durham. You?

Live in Concord, work in Huntersville and surgery was in Mooresville

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Congrats!

Yes! There were some downsides today. I had to wait 5 and a half hours to actually get into surgery. But one I was there, ummm I don’t know! I was gone and remember nothing! I was told I woke up almost immediately. I was VERY NAUSEOUS and in great pain. Suzy, my very nice anesthesia nurse immediately gave me something for the nausea and then Demerol (two in a row) for the pain. Then it was off to my room.
My mom met me and helped me out until about 7pm when I told her to head home. She’ll be back around 1 tomorrow to wait for me to be discharged.
At 11 tomorrow morning I have a meeting with the 5 other people who had WLS here today. We can share hints and the nurse coordinator will answer any questions or concerns. It will be nice having other people to bounce ideas off of since I’m definitely not yet all here.
Got dinner of unsweetened tea, Water, Jello and broth. Managed to get 1/2 the broth down in a couple hours and now I’m working on that Jello. I’m walking as much as I can, hoping to decrease the crazy gas pain. Right now it’s in my back and I do have a back injury so those 2 bad boys might be working together to cause me agony.
I’ve done 16 laps of my hospital floor since waking up around 3. One lap, one tiny sip of Water. Or a tiny bite of jello. Then another lap.
But here’s the best news! My surgery went so smoothly, my surgeon was able to complete it with only 4 incisions instead of 5! I tend to scar easily, so this was great news for me. But I guess to do it he blew extra gas in there so I’m paying for it too.
Hopefully I’ll get a pain med soon and then a able to sleep at least a tiny bit.
See you guys in the morning!
5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Thanks for sharing I’m nervous about mine and I also scar easily that had me a bit worried, but sharing your story gave me ease.

Thanks for sharing I’m nervous about mine and I also scar easily that had me a bit worried, but sharing your story gave me ease.

Don’t be too worried. I also scar so very easily. But I’ll definitely take 4 little scars than a shorter lifespan! Just realize that the first days will probably suck in one way or another. Like I said, the gas was the worst for me. I was lucky and had zero nausea. I was told I woke up immediately when they stopped running the anesthesia which they were surprised by. I remember two things from the moment I was rolling out of the surgery to the recovery. 1. I said “I’m going to throw up!” and the nice anesthesia nurse said “No you’re not.” and gave me something in my IV. Nausea gone, never to return. Then she asked me to rate my pain on a 1-10 scale. I said 7? And then I took a breath and the worst pain I’ve ever felt stabbed me from inside the left side of my tummy. I started to cry. She immediately ran 2 doses of Demerol and had me roll onto my right side. Bam! Pain gone.
I’ve always been very stoic and had a very high pain tolerance. I fell down 8 wooden porch stairs and a portion of my upper cheek was sliced open. I shattered my nose, orbital socket, cheek bone, had a concussion ect. I never even cried. So, I figured I don’t want to say I have a 10 pain scale when I figured that’s reserved for like amputation or something. That was my mistake. Don’t be afraid to say your pain is high.
The second bout of pain was around 7 pm the night of surgery. It was sudden with no explanation. I just immediately curled into a ball and my eyes watered. Fortunately my mom was there and called the nurses in a second. She knows that pain never really bothers me and that to be acting like that things were bad. They gave 5mg of OxyContin. During the night I had a dose of Roxicet as well. And that was it.
But, I. WALKED. ALL. NIGHT. I mean all night. I got about 90 minutes of sleep during my 24 hours in the hospital. And I peed all night long too. They gave us 3 IV’s over 24 hours. 2 just fluids and 1 Vitamin bag. I made sure that at dinner I got in 4 oz of broth and 2 oz of unsweetened tea. They also gave me a constant supply of ice Water and 2 small cups of SF Jello at both meals. I would save the jello and take tiny bites in between each 2-3 laps of the floor.
At the meeting of WLS patients prior to release, I was far and away the one who looked and felt the best. I was the last surgery of the day, but the first to be released.
So my advice is to accept that there’s going to be pain, and do your best to just soldier through it. Get up and walk walk walk. I’m 3 days out now, and I walk a little further each night. Today I was able to walk the dog for 30 minutes and wasn’t even tired. I swear the dog is in worse shape than I am! [emoji23] I do sleep a lot, and I’m in no way getting 64 oz of Fluid, but I did get almost 400 calories and 37g of Protein in today. Water is actually the most difficult thing for me to get down. I take 750 mg of Tylenol twice a day and that it. I don’t have to crush my pills or anything else. The only pain I have now is incision pain. Tylenol takes care of that.
My first day home I did get my first case of the slimes and foamies. Now I know how to keep that from happening. I still take gas x twice a day. I’m way less bloated and swollen already and I started losing weight today. All in all, it’s been pretty great. But when you get out of surgery and it hurts like the devil, just remind yourself that the pain in so very temporary and you won’t even remember how severe it really was a few days later.
I know everyone has different experiences, but I thought I’d share more of mine with you.
My only complaint is that I still can’t get into and out of my bed. But luckily we have a sun room with a reclining couch and large tv so I’m able to stay comfortable all the time. It has a door that I hung a sheet on to get privacy from the rest of the house, so I’m not bothered by others. And yes, I have a hair trigger temper. I get crabby in .6 seconds flat. But since the nurse coordinator told my parents about that happening for at least a month, they were prepared and have done well ignoring me when it happens.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I’m an open book so nothing is off limits.
Good luck on your journey!

CW: 254

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

LunarPuppy those will be my badges of pride and honor, no matter, 4,5, or even 7, I WILL ROCK THEM! I've waited so long, been through so much, cried so many tears, I might let my son download a belly shot to you all. Not brave enough to show,my face or my portly princess chassis, but my sacrificial wounds,😾 that is a certainty.

LunarPuppy those will be my badges of pride and honor, no matter, 4,5, or even 7, I WILL ROCK THEM! I've waited so long, been through so much, cried so many tears, I might let my son download a belly shot to you all. Not brave enough to show,my face or my portly princess chassis, but my sacrificial wounds,[emoji82] that is a certainty.

Mine are healing up really quickly. I plan on using arnica cream on them once they’re completely sealed and the steristrips have fallen off. Plastic surgeons use it to combat bruising and scaring. But honestly? I look at them each day, and smile. They are a badge, you are right. And I am proud of mine. Do you have a date for yourself yet?

CW: 254

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Yes arnica is great for bruising, Tomkitten thought it was all smoke and mirrors until he used it himself. I does work! Keep healing, I'm proud of how good you're doing.😝