Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Behavior mod and nutrition class today. Go or no go

Today I had my behavior modification and nutrition class. I’m between 2/3 of my mandatory 6 months of supervised weight loss and after today I’m still on the fence mainly for live style reasons. I like to eat and drink. I’m 5’9” 47 year old guy with a BMI of 47 and I see the positives but it is a complete 180 change in lifestyle for me, my family, parents, friends, etc.

My wife is not on board because it’s a major surgery so I’m trying to educate her but she’s only 25 lbs heavier then high school so she truly doesn’t understand the struggle, just that I should try harder. I look at my 8 year old daughter who is heavier then her friends and I think that doing it would be good for her as well.

Anyways, just a vent to get it off my chest. I love seeing the success stories but I know others must have struggled at this point as well.

5 minutes ago, GettinSkinnywithit said:

I look at my 8 year old daughter who is heavier then her friends and I think that doing it would be good for her as well.

This is an awesome reason to change your lifestyle habits. It's awesome you're thinking about this.

So often I see folks on diets talking about "not making their kids give up treats and eat diet food" and I think....man, what an opportunity missed! These kids share our genetics and have learned our eating behaviors. Teaching your kids to eat healthy...isn't a punishment, it's a kindness.

Being a good example...is being an amazing dad.

Best wishes.

I mean, don’t we all like to eat and drink though? lol

the deciding factor should ultimately be where you want to see yourself and your health Down the road. You just mentioning your daughter alone should also be a contributing factor; will your weight affect her and the things you want for the both of you in life? I am not a parent but this is something I would think about.

I am not sure why your surgery would affect anyone but your immediate family though. So you won’t be partaking in drinking, going back for seconds or tasting every dessert that’s brought to a family function but hopefully your family will understand & be supportive.

Eating for a lot of people is this huge social function so yes that’ll be hard, but you will learn to adapt if you follow the guidelines set by your doctor. It isn’t an easy decision but for some of us, it was & sometimes the only decision.

Much luck to you and your decision

Greetings from a BMI mate in Ohio. Yes keep on with your plans, not only will you,improve and prolong your own life but you will be good example for your little princess. Just because she is a girll doesn' t,mean you can't do walking, running and. playing together. When you show her healthy is important it will have a,positive affect on her, you are always her hero. Sure I'm a mom & grandma now but once upon a time ago I too was a little girl and I remember👧

Being a wine drinker beforehand, I can understand you worries, but I can guarantee you that you will feel better about it as the weight comes off. I dabbled with wine briefly after surgery and it stalled my weight loss big time.

Thanks for the replies! This is such a big decision and I appreciate the feedback.

I was listening to Dr. V's youtube a few days ago and he said something that stuck with me. food is be used as energy to fuel your dreams. All the things you may have wanted to do can be done if you think of food in that way. Having a "cheat meal" all the time is only cheating yourself out of meeting your dreams or goals...🤔

Here is the thing you can still enjoy food your not doomed to a flavorless exsistance where food is something to avoid at all cost it’s simply about modifying the way you enjoy food there are ways to eat and eat healthy and enjoy life ok just think about your daughter I was about her age when I noticed I was the big kid my dad was a big guy he drank also maybe a bit too much but you can help her sooooooo much by leading by example how and what to eat that it’s ok to try a new way

And Mommy and her can bond and live a fitter healthier life together! 👩&👧

I struggled with the decision...but it really wasn't hard to make the change. I decided my health and well being was worth it. I decided I was worth being healthy. I don't regret a thing!

VSG 10/11/17
HW = 360
SW = 292
GW = 220 3/7/18
CW = 205 @ 6'5"
155 pounds gone! [emoji256]