Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Third time’s a charm

I had the lap band in 2009. That failed so it was converted to the sleeve in 2014. Now because I have a hiatal hernia and GERD I’m getting the bypass on Tuesday, 5/8. Hoping for no more issues.🤞🏼

Hello :)

Third time should definitely be the charm for you, I hope it goes well.

I can relate, last 4+ months have been hell, horrible GERD, no solids for months...getting tired of pureed Soups, as they at the only things that don't get "stuck" and cause severe pain, vomiting, etc. Tired of having to supplement w/ Protein Powder all the time. They missed the hiatal hernia (how?) with first endoscopy and hospital stay back in Feb. Had the barium swallow last month...radiologist saw the hernia right away. Had another endoscopy a week ago, confirmed fixed hiatal hernia (medium in size).

Now I'm on more meds, waiting for blood work results to check for Vitamin deficiencies.... and, not too thrilled that I will be needed to take a road trip to have the torture manometry test before they decide whether to do a Nissen procedure or just go ahead and do the revision to gastric bypass. I'm hoping for the latter.

Had my sleeve back in Nov 2016.

For me, I hope the 2nd time is the charm.

Good luck w/ your surgery! :)

Edited by mylighthouse

Thank you!...Wow! I hope all goes well for you too! During my barium swallow they only seen how nothing was going down so they sent me for the endoscopy where they found the hernia. I’m anxious to get rid of all these symptoms. The worst is waking up in the middle of the night running to the bathroom no matter how long I wait to lay down after eating/drinking anything. It’s the worst feeling when your stomach(or lack of) contracts. It feels as if my insides are collapsing. Good luck with everything and I hope you get your bypass.

Good luck on your surgery, I am sure you will do well. Third time’s the charm for sure!

Good luck. Sorry for your struggles!

Thank you Bryn910 and FluffyChix!!

10 hours ago, tanya27 said:

Thank you!...Wow! I hope all goes well for you too! During my barium swallow they only seen how nothing was going down so they sent me for the endoscopy where they found the hernia. I’m anxious to get rid of all these symptoms. The worst is waking up in the middle of the night running to the bathroom no matter how long I wait to lay down after eating/drinking anything. It’s the worst feeling when your stomach(or lack of) contracts. It feels as if my insides are collapsing. Good luck with everything and I hope you get your bypass.

Tanya, did they ever talk to you about just fixing the hernia and not doing the revision to bypass? I am just curious. I don't really want the Nissen procedure, as it is not a guaranteed fix for the GERD and all the crap that comes with it, plus the hernia could reoccur later, and if it did, I'd need to have the bypass anyway.

Actually my sleeve healed funky so correcting just the hernia wouldn’t “fix” the problem completely. But, was given the option to just fix the hernia and stay on meds anyway [emoji848]. Talk to the doctor and make sure they know what YOU want. It is your body that you have to live with. So, your reasoning was exactly why I chose the bypass. Why keep going through all these procedures???

1 hour ago, mylighthouse said:

don't really want the Nissen procedure

@mylighthouse

i've led a sheltered life:wacko:

what is the Nisssen procedure?

kathy

[mention=305634]mylighthouse[/mention]
i've led a sheltered life:wacko:
what is the Nisssen procedure?
kathy

It’s the procedure they use to fix the hiatal hernia.

Not exactly, a Nissen fundolplication, they wrap the top,of your stomach over right below where the esophagus enters the stomach, kinda like a flap on a clutch handbag, some wrap,back-to-front, others front- to - back, suspect it has to do with what surgery school surgeon went to. It will reduce the diameter of the esophagus going in there so in one way it's like a lap band only using your tissue instead of tube. After the folding over it is sutured in place. Someone in the know likened to the nursery rhyme about the little girl with the curl on her forehead.
When it's good, it's very very good
When is bad- its horrid.
We have a general surgeon here in our town-does them all the time- people are so discontented, have so many problems eating and pain trying , 80-85% end in up in Columbus having a genera/bariatric. surgeon undo his handiwork, most end up with bypasses, a few sleeve. Why hasn't he stopped or been stopped? Well a small %,don't have that many problems, the rest are so ashamed they subjected themselves to this misery they drive 50 miles to Columbus rather than to demand he repair his mistake. No he didn't do that to me, he saw me for a different condition, didn't like his personality, extremely self-righteous and overbearing, so stopped going to him after he said someone should do a RnY on me as a form of punishment. Ha ha, Doctor Dimbrain, I will have a RnY, but only because it is the best type of bariatric surgery for my health needs, not as a form of torture. Alas my cousin Theresa wasn't as bright, she let him perform his brand of magic on her, nothing but misery, she's lost. a third of her body weight because her diet was so limited, bad news she, unlike me ,was NOT obese, started at145 , lost 48 lbs and is the same height as me 5ft8in. Yeah under 100 lbs. I hope my surgeon is as good as I believe, because she may be following me to OSU to have hers rectified. I don"t want to die fat, but I'm hoping they also can save Theresa to a healthier life.
And also with the Nissen,they may or not repair your hiatal hernia, although they should. After cousin T's problems I would never ever consider a Nissen for,myself😩

I really wish you the best of luck on that endeavor. My only advice would be to learn from your missteps.

Write it down, what made you gain weight? What could you do better? Remember that it's a constant battle, and there's no thing as a charm. Are you overly anxious? There's treatment for that. Did you not do enough exercise? Try to stick to a routine or someone to force you to exercise against your will until it becomes a habit. Do you like food just way too much? Well, that's the hardest. But with therapy you can learn techniques to control those urges. Don't try the frontal assault. Consistent weight loss must be attacked on multiple fronts, because the damn thing just doesn't give up.

In any case, you have a new shot at life. Don't let it be a blank. Prepare. Plan. Execute. Conquer.

Good luck.

Edit: Oh, and treat that hernia. Hopefully in the same procedure.

Edited by Malpraxis

@Frustr8 and @tanya27 ---yikes on the failed Nissen...fundoplication forhiatal hernia fix. And totally agree with you, Tanya.... the less procedures/surgeries, the better. Already 6 abdominal surgeries (3 open with complicated recoveries). Gastro to consult with my surgeon, surgeon has been with me through all of my surgeries... haven't talked to surgeon yet about the bypass, but I know he is not to keen on the idea of another abdominal surgery. Fun stuff.

[mention=335760]Frustr8[/mention] and [mention=216888]tanya27[/mention] ---yikes on the failed Nissen...fundoplication forhiatal hernia fix. And totally agree with you, Tanya.... the less procedures/surgeries, the better. Already 6 abdominal surgeries (3 open with complicated recoveries). Gastro to consult with my surgeon, surgeon has been with me through all of my surgeries... haven't talked to surgeon yet about the bypass, but I know he is not to keen on the idea of another abdominal surgery. Fun stuff.

Six surgeries! Oh my! This 3rd one is enough for me. Well I hope everything works out for you!!

You know they aren't going,to grant you frequent flyer,miles for all those surgeries. They might engrave you a bangle Bracelet to save on plastic bands, though.
Met this be the last time someone puts air vents in you!😛🌈