Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The wait is killing me!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the site. I’ve read and learned a lot so far. I have Anthem BCBS which requires 6 months of visits with a nutritionist. My doctors office submitted everything to Anthem on 4/19 but I still am waiting to hear back. It’s just so hard to be so close to the end of the process but yet so far away! Any words of advice during this time?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, SallyH said:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the site. I’ve read and learned a lot so far. I have Anthem BCBS which requires 6 months of visits with a nutritionist. My doctors office submitted everything to Anthem on 4/19 but I still am waiting to hear back. It’s just so hard to be so close to the end of the process but yet so far away! Any words of advice during this time?

Thanks!

Hang in there, I was exactly where you are last week! Claim it, see yourself already having been approved. See yourself trying on old outfits that are way too big now. See yourself in your goal outfit. And do this over and over again. I gave you a follow:)hang in there.

Call and check on the status. I would check with the insurance coordinator at your surgeon's office first and if they haven't received anything from the insurance company, call them and see if there is anything delaying the approval. It doesn't hurt to be proactive. I, too, was in the same boat last week after having left many voicemails. It wasn't until I sent a message through MyChart to the insurance coordinator that she finally called me back and I got my surgery scheduled. Good luck! The waiting is the hardest!

Thank you! Called the insurance company this morning and it's still pending review. The told me it would take up to 15 days (I'm on day 12 today)....guess I'll give them a little more time before I start being a pain. But I will keep calling every day to find out!

2 minutes ago, SallyH said:

Thank you! Called the insurance company this morning and it's still pending review. The told me it would take up to 15 days (I'm on day 12 today)....guess I'll give them a little more time before I start being a pain. But I will keep calling every day to find out!

I'm in NY as well! Is your surgeon in NYC or upstate? Also, does your surgeon's office have a patient coordinator? I found that they don't mind if you're being a bit aggressive in trying to find out if you are approved and/or trying to get answers. That person would have the same answer, but it might be a buffer so you personally don't have to reach out to your insurance.

4 hours ago, cammarays said:

I'm in NY as well! Is your surgeon in NYC or upstate? Also, does your surgeon's office have a patient coordinator? I found that they don't mind if you're being a bit aggressive in trying to find out if you are approved and/or trying to get answers. That person would have the same answer, but it might be a buffer so you personally don't have to reach out to your insurance.

I'm in Westchester. Getting my surgery done at White Plains Hospital. The doctor has a great coordinator who I will see tonight at the monthly WLS support group. I'll ask her if she's heard anything.

Don't be afraid to keep calling, I'd. zap,them Friday or next Monday at the latest. You will surely get your good news soon.👍

Good news, I spoke with the insurance company who said that the nurse is reviewing it today and I should have an answer by this time tomorrow....#excited

It's gonna work, it's gonna work . I am jumping up and down with excitement and at my age and degree of incontinence that might not be a pretty thing.
I am so happy for you, only thing that could make me happier is hearing my,own surgery date. One,of the posters this morning gave me an added boost of hope. She is meeing with the same 3 specialized people I'm meeting with on May 24th. Hers is her pre-surgical appointment, dare I dream mine will be also? Oh.I hope I hope I hope🙆😝

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

It's gonna work, it's gonna work . I am jumping up and down with excitement and at my age and degree of incontinence that might not be a pretty thing.
I am so happy for you, only thing that could make me happier is hearing my,own surgery date. One,of the posters this morning gave me an added boost of hope. She is meeing with the same 3 specialized people I'm meeting with on May 24th. Hers is her pre-surgical appointment, dare I dream mine will be also? Oh.I hope I hope I hope🙆😝

I'll pray that is!

Update: Called the insurance company this morning and now they're saying they didn't receive the paperwork until 4/25 (my surgery coordinator sent it on 4/19) and that it will take up 15 calendar days to process. Now that gives them til the 10th of May. I'm following up with the surgery coordinator to see if she can do anything from her end....so frustrating!!!

Just got a call down the insurance company that the surgery was approved!!!!

Just got a call down the insurance company that the surgery was approved!!!!

Congratulations!

“I know that I’m in my own little world—but it’s ok, they like me here.”

Dang, Anthem BC/BS finally,came through for you! So do you also have a surgery date given? Or,Oh No, you have to wait somemore-' this time for the surgeon's office and/or hospital . You either are going to have your hair turn gray or you will be bald from tearing your hair out by the roots.
Well you have the right person talking to you, I started on my journey in August 2015 and it isn't over yet The old joke was: it ain't over until the fat lady sings" well I AM a fat lady and I haven't burst into song yet, in fact I haven't even sat down at the piano🎹 yet.
La la lal!!!😛🎵

22 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Dang, Anthem BC/BS finally,came through for you! So do you also have a surgery date given? Or,Oh No, you have to wait somemore-' this time for the surgeon's office and/or hospital . You either are going to have your hair turn gray or you will be bald from tearing your hair out by the roots.
Well you have the right person talking to you, I started on my journey in August 2015 and it isn't over yet The old joke was: it ain't over until the fat lady sings" well I AM a fat lady and I haven't burst into song yet, in fact I haven't even sat down at the piano🎹 yet.
La la lal!!!😛🎵

No surgery date yet...waiting on the surgeon's office to call once they get the official approval letter. I spoke to another patient who used that doctor and he said it took 1 week between getting approved and having the actual surgery so I'm not too worried. I've been hoping for a date of Thursday, 5/24 which still seems likely. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience.