Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm about 6 months post op and have noticed that for the past week, I feel like I have had less restriction when I eat. Has anybody else gone through this? I started replacing 2 meals with Protein Shakes today because I'm scared that maybe my stomach has stretched? Help!

I notice less restriction, but still far more restriction than there was prior to surgery, but I'm not too worried. Yesterday I managed 5 sauceless boneless wings when I could barely manage 3 a few weeks ago. But before the surgery, I could take down 20 smothered in BBQ Sauce along with 4 soft breadsticks. It's all relative.

34 minutes ago, jennypenny1998 said:

I'm about 6 months post op and have noticed that for the past week, I feel like I have had less restriction when I eat. Has anybody else gone through this? I started replacing 2 meals with Protein Shakes today because I'm scared that maybe my stomach has stretched? Help!

I think it all depends on what you eat. I can seriously BINGE on some cantaloupe. I'm not even joking, and I know this because I've done it... post op binging, by accident of course. I was sitting in front of the TV, and I looked down to see that I had eaten probably 3 cups, 3 full cups of cut up cantaloupe. I can't barely manage a 4 oz salmon filet with 2 tbsp. of cottage cheese on the side.

41 minutes ago, abefroman329 said:

I notice less restriction, but still far more restriction than there was prior to surgery, but I'm not too worried. Yesterday I managed 5 sauceless boneless wings when I could barely manage 3 a few weeks ago. But before the surgery, I could take down 20 smothered in BBQ Sauce along with 4 soft breadsticks. It's all relative.

This is exactly what happened this past week, wings and all! You're right, before I could eat 10-15 wings no problem, and now I'm worrying about finishing 5 lol. I just go worried that I was slipping back into my old habits. This made me feel a lot better, especially since this literally happened a few days go lol

34 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

I think it all depends on what you eat. I can seriously BINGE on some cantaloupe. I'm not even joking, and I know this because I've done it... post op binging, by accident of course. I was sitting in front of the TV, and I looked down to see that I had eaten probably 3 cups, 3 full cups of cut up cantaloupe. I can't barely manage a 4 oz salmon filet with 2 tbsp. of cottage cheese on the side.

I think you're right, it does depend on what we eat. I just got so scared that I was starting to eat like I used to! But then again, I used to be able to eat a $5 box from Taco Bell, plus extra tacos and a burrito. But eating a lot of fruit is definitely better than eating all that junk!

30 minutes ago, jennypenny1998 said:

This is exactly what happened this past week, wings and all! You're right, before I could eat 10-15 wings no problem, and now I'm worrying about finishing 5 lol. I just go worried that I was slipping back into my old habits. This made me feel a lot better, especially since this literally happened a few days go lol

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it. Over the weekend I was panicking because I'd eaten 3 chicken tenders from Wendy's and didn't get sick. No burger, no fries, no Frosty, just the 3 chicken tenders with no sauce.

It is normal and expected to have some increased capacity around 6 months, but it’s like going from 3 or 4 oz of Protein to 5 or 6, so still very restricted. I actually have noticed this increase in the last few weeks (4 months out) and can now eat around 4.5 oz of protein VS 3.5 a month ago.

Of course you can eat a lot of slider foods or other things that will push through (softer foods). This is where focusing on good habits come in handy. I’m personally struggling with this as I re-introduce carbs.

11 hours ago, Losebig said:

It is normal and expected to have some increased capacity around 6 months, but it’s like going from 3 or 4 oz of Protein to 5 or 6, so still very restricted. I actually have noticed this increase in the last few weeks (4 months out) and can now eat around 4.5 oz of Protein VS 3.5 a month ago.

Of course you can eat a lot of slider foods or other things that will push through (softer foods). This is where focusing on good habits come in handy. I’m personally struggling with this as I re-introduce carbs.

I am definitely struggling with carbs too. I have always loved Pasta but had managed to stay away from it for awhile. As soon as I started eating it again, I got cravings for it all the time.

I am definitely struggling with carbs too. I have always loved Pasta but had managed to stay away from it for awhile. As soon as I started eating it again, I got cravings for it all the time.

Go to low carb grocery store , can find it online.
I stay away from some carbs because they are triggers. I buy some food from low carb. So I don't feel deprived.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, sunshinetinks said:

Go to low carb grocery store , can find it online.
I stay away from some carbs because they are triggers. I buy some food from low carb. So I don't feel deprived.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you! :)

I am 6 months out I had the sleeve on October 3 rd. I still can't eat very much. Like today I had 1 egg for Breakfast a Greek low fat yogurt for lunch and a two ounce slice of pork shoulder with about three slices of potatoes and a couple small slices of cooked carrots. However I have not lost any weight in about a week now. That worries me. I have lost 89 pounds so far and need to loose 50 more by Christmas. So that I can have back surgery. Then I still want to loose about 40 more after that. So hopefully I can get going again. I have trouble with my back and lots of knee pain so walking is not an option at this time. Looking for swim classes.

I seriously don't think I have restriction anymore. I have to force myself to eat on plan, which is so hard, because if I could do that consistently, I wouldn't have needed the surgery.

17 hours ago, grammyPammy said:

I am 6 months out I had the sleeve on October 3 rd. I still can't eat very much. Like today I had 1 egg for Breakfast a Greek low fat yogurt for lunch and a two ounce slice of pork shoulder with about three slices of potatoes and a couple small slices of cooked carrots. However I have not lost any weight in about a week now. That worries me. I have lost 89 pounds so far and need to loose 50 more by Christmas. So that I can have back surgery. Then I still want to loose about 40 more after that. So hopefully I can get going again. I have trouble with my back and lots of knee pain so walking is not an option at this time. Looking for swim classes.

A week without weight loss is not bad at all! You are doing great! I have been stuck at 174 ish for about 2 months now. I'm hoping to get down to around 130, but can't seem to get the scale to move (though the sizes I am wearing keep going down). Swimming would be great! I have back pain and hip pain... I ordered an SI belt from Amazon and man, it is like night and day. My back got instant relief. The one I ordered was around $13.

13 minutes ago, Etharia said:

I seriously don't think I have restriction anymore. I have to force myself to eat on plan, which is so hard, because if I could do that consistently, I wouldn't have needed the surgery.

I've read a few posts on here from people who can eat almost as much as they used to pre-op. I get thoughts like that too; I could've just forced myself to eat less and not have gotten surgery. But I think the whole process is worth it. Have you talked to your doctor about feeling the loss of restriction? I still get full, but there are some things (current example- Hot Cheetos. I know they are TERRIBLE for you, but have been my comfort food lately) that I can eat a ton of without getting full. Almost 60 lbs of weight loss is great!

On 4/25/2018 at 1:28 PM, jennypenny1998 said:

1 hour ago, Etharia said:

What sleevers need to know:

After 6 months the tight restriction starts to fade. At about a year or more out you will definitely be able to hold more food. Understand your stomach is not back to full size. Only a small percentage of sleeves that need revision.

The problem is when people confuse grazing with stomach capacity/stretching. If you eat several meals with excess calories. (Can be healthy or unhealthy food choices) you will start seeing weight gain.

I can easily get in 3000 calories in a day if I graze. The sensation is as if I didn't have surgery at all.

Surgery does not take away hunger for most of us. You will feel head and real hunger. Eating sugar and carbs will make you crave them more and increase your hunger level. .

My disclaimer: low carb is not everyone's weight loss plan. (carbs may/will increase maintaining and higher fitness level. ( if you gain go back to low carb or your plan)

If you are struggling with the extra space and hunger :

Some tips to keep you full and satisfied within your calorie range. (I'm not a medical professional this is just my experience/opinion)

• increase your Protein goal.
  • Add veggies. The bulk and Fiber will help fill the increased stomach volume
  • Detox off carbs and sugar.
  • Keep healthy sweet and salty Snacks on hand for cravings
  • night snacking or head hunger - Buy a veggie tray. If you are at the end of your daily calorie allotment for weight loss mode. Eat from your veggie tray. If you try to bargain with yourself for another option then you know its head hunger.