Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you pick your doctor?

I did a LOT of research.

My criteria:

Doctor had to be board certified and have a stellar reputation. (My doc is actually ON the board of bariatric surgeons here who creates protocol for certification) Make sure to ask your doctor how many procedures he/she does each week, and how many procedures they've done total. Some surgeons will provide success statistics for their patients.

Hospital had to be a Center of Excellence. I wanted everyone involved in my care to have experience dealing with lots of bariatric patients. I wanted a ward dedicated to bariatric surgery....not just a couple of beds.

Hospital had to be a major trauma center. I wanted a big enough hospital to attract and retain surgical talent and have good resources for unexpected cardiovascular events.

I wanted a big enough bariatric center to have a dedicated 24/7 emergency line and an excellent staff for follow ups (which are crucial to safety and success)

I was particularly interested in post surgical diets. While I was willing to do a Keto based diet for a short period of time, I really hate how I feel on keto...and a lot obariatric doctors push it. My brain feels sluggish and my cholesterol goes up. None of these things are acceptable to me....so I needed a program that worked with low glycemic carb eaters who like a lot of plant based Protein. (I'm not a vegetarian, but I am not a huge fan of getting the bulk of my protien from whey and meat) My program works with a lot of international clients with different dietary preferences, vegans, etc. My diet (Mayo Clinic Diet) was well received at my program.

My program fit these criteria, and is associated with a well respected major research hospital.

I've been really happy with my choice:)

Wow! A lot of good information. I know my surgeon is board certified but not sure how many proceedures she doea per week. I will ask those questions about the hospital. Thanks for responding

We only have two bariatric surgeons in our state (Alaska), but both of them have stellar credentials.

Did he/she appear,to be aloof or approachable.
Do they welcome questions?
Will they be accessible or will you be palmed off on ED doctors who are not familiar with Bariatrics?
Do they practice in a partnership or are they lome doctor for this speciality.?
Are their admitting privileges at a Center of Excellence hospital(in US) or with a teaching hospital.?
Does his hospital routinely book in private or semi-private rooms?
How long his patients remain in hospital or does surgeon do only surgery on an outpatient basis?
Is surgeon board certified or merely board eligible?
When are visits booked presurgical and postsurgical?
How many surgery done yearly, how,many daily?
Do they have a favorite surgery or they willing to discuss it with the patient?
Are all surgeries laprascopicaly or are there occasional open procedures done?

ALL great questions I will ask at my next appointment.

But, yes she's (my current doctor) very approchable and board certified. What I do know is that she isn't doing a lot of surgeries currently. No sure of the reason...

My surgeon is in a program where all the surgeons do extra training to make the surgery as cosmetic as possible. Also I chose my surgeon based on past experience he and I have a very good working relationship he's definitely of the opinion your body your choice if you only want bypass your doctor should respect that. My doctor also did not feel the Need to dumb himself down I am very well versed in medical knowledge and can keep up with the best of them. So please respect me as an intelligent person and talk to me as such

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app